Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-17-11, 02:49 PM   #1
Redeemed

Default Observation...

Out of curiosity I started comparing prices between a top end SB platform and a top-end PhII x6 platform, just to see how comparable the two really are in prices.

For the AMD platform you can get the PhenomII X6 1100T BE for only $229 w/free shipping.

The ASUS CrossHair IV Extreme comes in at a lofty $309.99 w/ free shipping as well.

This brings the grand total for the platform up to about $540.00 pre-tax. Considering this is far from low-end performance and will be well capable of pushing any game out currently, as well as any game to be released in the near future with relative ease this actually looks like a very good deal- especially when you consider the oc'ing potential of the PhII procs. Assuming OC let's add $50 for a top-end air cooler. That now brings the total to about $590 pre-tax/shipping. Still very reasonable considering the performance you'd get from this platform with that CPU at stock, or even at 4+Ghz.

For the Intel platform you can get the 2600K for only $314.99. That's nearly $100 more than AMD's top PhII chip, but considering the performance of this CPU I'd say that price is warranted, especially considering the amazing oc'ing potential.

The ASUS Maximus IV Extreme comes in at a lofty $364.99. I could have gone with MSI's Big Bang-Marshall @ $400 but that doesn't seem like it'd be a very common mobo so I went with ASUS' as that seemed the more practical and likely board.

The total for the Intel platform comes to about $680.00 pre-tax and shipping. Add $50 for a top-end air cooler and you get an approx pre-shipping and tax total of $730.

That's a difference of about $140.

For $140 you can choose from several 60 - 64Gb SSDs. Of course I'm not including the price of a video card, power supply, etc. For this comparison it'd only be the mobo+CPU that'd be upgraded thus reusing the rest of the components.

But I'd think that as an end-user I'd more appreciate going with the top-end AMD platform + the SSD for the OS as that'd likely yeild the greater over-all experience, be it in-game or at the desktop. Now, considering my current rig I'm not in the market to upgrade, but I was curious about the hype surrounding SB. It seems to me, that unless $140 doesn't hold a ton of value to you and is easily replaceable the AMD route would still be the more logical.

Unless, of course, you already own an SSD (such as my self), then I'd likely not be so reluctant to spend the extra money on the CPU+Mobo from Intel.

But for an individual that doesn't already posses an SSD it just seems like the AMD platform would be the better over-all solution; it'd offer exceptional performance in games and at the desktop. Actually, and entirely because of the SSD, it'd likely offer a superior overall experience to the Intel platform due to the greater responsiveness of the system as a whole- be at browsing the web, listening to music, watching a movie, or playing a game, thanks entirely to the use of the SSD.

Am I wrong? Curious on what your guys' take on this is.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-11, 07:32 PM   #2
grey_1

Default Re: Observation...

2600k can be had for $279 at microcenter and there are plenty of feature packed 1155 boards out there for under $200

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131704

Wondering why you chose high end only. So $479 for the intel vs your choice of $540 for the AMD, which of course can easily be lowered as well, but imo that $479 packs more punch than the AMD platform
Old 04-17-11, 07:52 PM   #3
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Yeah, you're way, way wrong. You're comparing two different motherboards, why not find one the same price in both camps?
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-11, 08:07 PM   #4
Viral
Registered User of Women

Just another observation: It's pretty unclear as to whether ASUS boards will be AM3+ compatible despite what they say. If going AMD now, I'd have to go for one of the AM3+ boards from Gigabyte. Any board with a black socket is AM3+.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-11, 09:42 PM   #5
Q

There are plenty of great motherboards for the 2600K for around $180. You're looking at $500 for an incredible gaming system. The Asus P8P67 PRO is about $180 and has three PCI-E 16x slots and is a top tier performer. $500 gets you, at stock, the fastest (or 2nd fastest) gaming machine on the planet. Considering the 2600K overclocks like nobody's business, I don't think you can really go wrong.

AMD just can't compete at the top end - especially not with gaming. Look at the Anandtech reviews. You see the top tier AMD stuff struggling to keep up with a Q6600.

There are price points where AMD is very competitive, but not at the high end.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-11, 02:46 PM   #6
Redeemed

Hmm... good points about the motherboards. Probably should have gone for some in the $150 - $200 range. That still leaves the SB platform about $100 more than the AMD platform simply from the SB CPU being more expensive. That $100 could get you a 40GB SSD which is plenty for just the OS.

Admittedly this is mostly based off of my own experience, but I still can't say there's a tangible, night and day difference between my first quad core rig (Ph9600 BE) and my current one. I think the OS loads a bit faster under this i7 rig, apps open slightly faster, and there's probably ever so slightly less of a delay in response with many apps open at once.

But honestly, and I did use both rigs side by side (before I had my SSDs) I cannot see much of a difference in performance at the desktop. In games still not much. If I had FRAPs open yeah I know the FPS would be higher cause the CPU would be able to feed more data, quicker, to the GPU but even still while playing it wasn't noticeable. Granted, this was roughly a year ago when I did the comparison but I'd wager it's not much different now.

It just seems to me that the AMD platform with an SSD would yield the better overall experience. You are right about the socket though, Viral- would want to make sure I got one that was compatible with AM3+. Newegg did list an AM3+ mobo, but only one so that's why I didn't choose it in my comparison.

I mean, do you guys really feel that a PhII x6 1100T is insufficient for... any practical task? It's $100 less than the SB part. Do you guys really think that the PhII x6 1100T + an SSD for OS would offer a worse overall experience to the SB part without an SSD? I find this ridiculous as I threw together a rig for a friend using an old C2D... forget the exact model. But for kicks I put my 30GB SSD in there and it seemed every bit as fast (at the desktop, browsing the web, listeing to music, basic multi-tasking) as this i7 rig of mine. You think a PhII x6 1100T would fare worse?

I guess if you just build the rig to push the maximal FPS my point is moot. In that case you'd likely have a bigger budget and then jump up to maybe a 990x, an SSD, and some extreme video card config. By default that'd push the most FPS while also being rediculously fast at nearly every other task you needed to perform.

But for the $500 range it just seems to me it'd be much more logical to get the PhII x6 1100T with an SSD as that'd yield the greatest over all experience, from multi-tasking at the desktop to gaming. And thanks to current gen consoles likely being around for another year or so at least that CPU will be more than up to any game released within the next two years likely. By that time BD will be out which would offer a cheap yet (presumably) drastic upgrade.

I'm not arguing it's the PhII x6 1100T alone that'd make for the better experience, I'm saying with the addition of the 40GB SSD it'd be a combination that for the price would be darn tough to beat. I mean, I don't know about you guys but if I were in the market for a new CPU and mobo right now, reusing everything else- I'd be more attracted to the AMD offering simply cause I'd also be able to get an SSD. 6 cores at or near 4GHz is far from restricting on near any front. Pair it with a current gen GPU (assuming you already own it, thus it's no extra cost) like a 5800, 6800, 6900, GTX400, or GTX500 series GPU and you'll have a rig that'll demolish any game out and any game due out within' the next two years.

Granted same could be said going SB but unless tacking on the extra $100 to SB for that SSD is no issue for you then you'd be stuck with whichever HDDs you already own. I'd rather save that $100- that's about a month's groceries or a month's gas for my car. And side by side I really doubt you'd see any difference between two identical rigs except one being a PhII x6 1100T and the other sporting a 2600K unless you had some performance measuring tool like FRAPs running.

I think it'd be neat to do such a comparison- sadly I don't have the money for it. But it would be fun and interesting to see two such rigs side by side. Just to see if, without any tool like FRAPs running, could you see a difference in performance for either machine? I'm sure there would be a measurable difference between the two in favor of SB but without FRAPs or such a tool to measure it I just don't think it'd be perceptible.
Old 04-18-11, 03:08 PM   #7
grey_1

zomg - TLDNR

EDIT: No one said the AMD is insufficient. But for even better performance at an identical pricepoint AMD has lost it's advantage. Look at Anand's review on the 2500k.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/t...-2100-tested/1

There is no advantage for the x6, either price or in most cases, performance.

Don't get me wrong, the x6 are a fine batch of chips, but realistically speaking, no benches or prices I've seen back an argument for going with the slower platform.
Old 04-18-11, 04:27 PM   #8
Roadhog
Resident Alien

I still don't see how you are figuring the intel system is more. Even if you went for a 2500k it would be cheaper and faster than the 1100t.

Old 04-18-11, 04:37 PM   #9
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
I still don't see how you are figuring the intel system is more. Even if you went for a 2500k it would be cheaper and faster than the 1100t.
This isn't directed at me is it? I'm agreeing with you.
Old 04-18-11, 04:39 PM   #10
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Was directed at redeemed, but I didn't want to quote his novel on my phone.
Old 04-18-11, 04:41 PM   #11
grey_1

Quote:
Was directed at redeemed, but I didn't want to quote his novel on my phone.
Yeah, that could have led to an outage.
Old 04-19-11, 02:06 AM   #12
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
zomg - TLDNR

EDIT: No one said the AMD is insufficient. But for even better performance at an identical pricepoint AMD has lost it's advantage. Look at Anand's review on the 2500k.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/t...-2100-tested/1

There is no advantage for the x6, either price or in most cases, performance.

Don't get me wrong, the x6 are a fine batch of chips, but realistically speaking, no benches or prices I've seen back an argument for going with the slower platform.
Quote:
Figured I'd respond to both of you since ya'll pretty much said the same thing.

Okay, I'll stand corrected. For some reason I thought there was a much larger performance delta between the 2500k and 2600k than there really is. Thanks for that review Grey. It seems the proper comparison isn't the 2600k to the PhII x6 1100T, but the 2500k to the PhII x6 1100T... in which case it's a clear win for the 2500k, and the 2500k is about $5 cheaper.

So my whole point is moot now and this thread concluded, I guess. Going with the 2500k + SSD would likely be cheaper than the AMD solution while yeilding better performance. It seems, going off of that review though, the greatest gains are when gaming. In media creation or general multi-tasking the 2500k doesn't hold that great of a lead over the six-core Phenom... averages about 6 seconds lead in most rendering apps. Kinda' surprised me as I figured that's where Intel would really take the crown.

The 1100T seems to be hard to place price-wise. It's definitely over priced as is... I'm not sure what would warrant the difference- huge gap performance wise in gaming. I'm thinking the $180 price range would be far more reasonable, but can they sell them that low and still not be selling below cost? This means all their other processors would have to drop in price as well, and that'd also hurt.

I'm at the conclusion now that AMD is likely as low as they can get, for now, in prices. Hopefully BD will offer the performance rumored while still being a bit cheaper- at least to produce. Therefore AMD could sell the chips at a slightly lower cost while bringing in greater revenue. Kinda' interesting to see how this round will turn out- especially knowing that nVidia is liscensing SLi to AMD and AMD will be having native SATA3 and USB3.0, hopefully this new AMD3+ platform will indeed be competitive.