Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-20-11, 05:38 PM   #37
Lamieur
The god of fertility

Default Re: NVIDIA, please, fix Adobe Flash 10.2.x and 10.3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamieur View Post
About the overlay problem (video leaking through anything that's black): go to text console (Alt+Ctrl+F2), get back to your Xorg (Alt-F1? Alt-F7?), problem disappears.
That was on 260.x. I'm trying 270.41.19 and it doesn't go away with vt switches, this time I needed to disable hardware accel for good.
Lamieur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 07:23 AM   #38
artem

Switching to text console doesn't help here at all, all the symptoms and problems remain.
artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 07:05 PM   #39
Lamieur
The god of fertility

Are you testing 260 series, as opposed to 270/275? At least for me, at least on my hardware, 260 worked after vt switch. Newer ones are fixed and behave consistently before and after a switch.
Old 05-25-11, 11:39 PM   #40
MaDDeePee

10.1.102.64 with possible bugs and exploits VERSUS hardware acc @ flash ? ....

thanks for finding this workaround but thats no true alternative for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbiggy View Post
Yes I had all the bugs you are talking about.
Here is the fix for all problems you are talking about:
You have to disable OpenGL hardware acceleration in Flash menu.
Go to the page you are talking about. Right click on the flash content (for example charts on this page). Choose 'Settings...' from flash context menu. On first tab uncheck 'Enable hardware acceleration' which is enabled as default. Since now everything is stable. I use flash 10,3,180,65 and firefox4. I was on the page you mentioned and everything is rock solid stable there. You can keep using:
EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1
OverrideGPUValidation=true
because they have nothing in common with the bugs you encounter.

It looks Flash plugin is using GLX in a way which makes Nvidia driver stuck or doing crazy things with display.
MaDDeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-11, 06:34 AM   #41
sandipt
NVIDIA Corporation

NVIDIA already tracked this issue and verified. newer versions of Flash use VDPAU to accelerate video decode and presentation, and they use an overlay to do so. This bug really need to be fix by Adobe.
sandipt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-11, 02:55 PM   #42
artem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandipt View Post
NVIDIA already tracked this issue and verified. newer versions of Flash use VDPAU to accelerate video decode and presentation, and they use an overlay to do so. This bug really need to be fix by Adobe.
Thanks for letting us know, and I hope you have notified Adobe of this issue.
Old 05-26-11, 04:07 PM   #43
yumkam

Quote:
Disclaimer: I don't use flash, so I have no problem currently :-).
1) If bug results in browser/plugin sigsegv/freeze (resolvable with killing frozen process) or artefacts inside browser window, then, yes, ball on adobe side.
2) If (improper|buggy) use of vdpau/glx results in system/xorg freeze and not resolvable with killing browser/plugin process, then this is still nvidia driver bug, and MUST be fixed inside nvidia driver (very likely in kernel part of driver). No matter if Flash plugin buggy too or not (moreover, if some knownly buggy plugin version triggers such effects, it should be used for testing, even if there are fixed version).
No (unprivileged) user application should be able to freeze system/xorg/make unkillable processes (stuck in "state D")/etc. Otherwise this is EXPLOITABLE SECURITY PROBLEM.
Reports from artem and Lamieur matches (2), and this looks much more serious, than "just" flash problem.
yumkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-11, 06:10 PM   #44
Lamieur
The god of fertility

I think sandipt was only referring to YouTube videos leaking through all blackness. Everything fits: it's using an overlay and not hiding it when the window is not on screen. And I would agree that Flash should be fixed.

However, allowing video decoding through /etc/adobe/mms.cfg leads to Xorg hangs on video sites other than YouTube (different sites use different codecs, YT is not affected). As I mentioned, I can do the same with mplayer -vo vdpau -vc vdpau on specific files. Those are user-mode applications causing system instability and it is indeed exploitable. I believe this should be addressed by Nvidia.

Old 05-29-11, 04:12 AM   #45
zbiggy

Quote:
Can you please cooperate with Adobe on this issue? Nvidia has tracked this issue so have detailed knowledge about this bug. We users do not know anything except it crashes. I'm sure company to company bug report with detailed description will gain much more high priority and faster fix than our reports with no details.

If flash plugin is able to freeze or crash X via Nvidia driver this is indeed security bug and should be fixed on Nvidia driver side no matter what Adobe will do.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 06:16 AM   #46
Gusar

I now have a VDPAU capable nvidia card and immediately saw where the problem is. Flash is using black as the overlay colorkey! That's... stupid. It'll make the video shine through everything that's black, like say, the text on many webpages, including this forum! Ok, the default colorkey is an eyesore green, not ideal either, it's distractingly noticeable when you move the video window around. MPlayer does it how it should be done, it sets the colorkey to 0.01 0.02 0.03 (RGB values in float). It looks black, but it's not black. Adobe should do something similar.
Gusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 04:06 AM   #47
artem

Adobe has just released Adobe Flash player 10.3.181.22.

Overlay issue is not fixed, but VDPAU acceleration now doesn't work at all (it looks like it's disabled altogether).

Damn.
Old 06-06-11, 05:54 AM   #48
MaDDeePee

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem View Post
Adobe has just released Adobe Flash player 10.3.181.22.

Overlay issue is not fixed, but VDPAU acceleration now doesn't work at all (it looks like it's disabled altogether).

Damn.
Hi,

how do you determine if its enabled or not? Is there any testing tool?
MaDDeePee is offline   Reply With Quote