Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-19-11, 06:09 PM   #1
sillyeagle
sillyego

Default IPS or 120Hz?

I'm looking for a new sub $300 23inch screen, and it seems I need to chose between an IPS panel and one capable of 120Hz. I've not seen either in action, so I'm wondering if anybody can give some guidance or recommendation on which way to go?

I wonder how much 120Hz improves things considering my framerates don't tend to get nearly that high.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 04-19-11, 06:38 PM   #2
Q

Default Re: IPS or 120Hz?

Do you care about 3D? (120Hz is the only choide)

Do you care about color shift? (IPS is the only choice)

I can't use anything but IPS, but let use know what you're priorities are. What are you using now?

I bet you're using a liquid CRYSTAL display, aren't you?!?

Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-11, 11:20 AM   #3
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

depends on your needs, if you are like me, Q, or slaWter, then color matters more.

sillyeagle, aren't you into photography as well? then IPS will be better.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-11, 12:15 PM   #4
mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
depends on your needs, if you are like me, Q, or slaWter, then color matters more.

sillyeagle, aren't you into photography as well? then IPS will be better.
+1
Old 04-20-11, 01:46 PM   #5
dairy hick
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle View Post
I'm looking for a new sub $300 23inch screen, and it seems I need to chose between an IPS panel and one capable of 120Hz. I've not seen either in action, so I'm wondering if anybody can give some guidance or recommendation on which way to go?

I wonder how much 120Hz improves things considering my framerates don't tend to get nearly that high.
I recommend saving money for an Apple LED Cinema Display and getting an adaptor so you can hook it up via DVI.

e-IPS panels aren't worthit as they're only 6 bit like TN panels. Not all H-IPS panels are equal either. In the anand review of the Apple, the Dell H-IPS model has much higher input lag and they both use an H-IPS panel.

If you're going 3D, then you'll need 120Hz.

The only gripe I have with my Apple LED Cinema display is that it's a WLED instead of a RGB LED, but the color quality is still better than that of the average LCD. Its decent input lag time can be reduced significantly in D3D games (so I can have vsync on and barely tell a difference between it and a CRT) by setting render-ahead frames to 1 and using a tool to limit frame rates to < 60fps. With OpenGL I just force triple buffering and turn vsync off.
dairy hick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-11, 03:16 PM   #6
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

<3 my 120Hz. Will never NOT have one again... no vsync, no tearing... it's the best thing I've bought in forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-11, 04:57 PM   #7
sillyeagle
sillyego

I'm still using a Diamondtron CRT with it's super high contrast mode. I've never seen an LCD that can match it's contrast and colors, so I've not changed it out yet. Since I game mostly in a dark room having black that is actually black is important. Something like Metro 2033 on an LCD in a dark room looks really washed out compared to my CRT, due to the fact there is no real black.

So I guess color and contrast are the most important things for me. I know I will never get the blacks I want with an LCD, so I'll likely just have to get used to that part of it. It's just too bad LCD technology still can't produce a picture like CRT's from way back.

3D isn't so important to me, but somebody had told me 120Hz makes your games look incredibly smooth, although I've not seen one in action my self so I don't know if that point alone is reason enough to do 120Hz over IPS, given the advantages of IPS.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 04-20-11, 05:01 PM   #8
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
I'm still using a Diamondtron CRT with it's super high contrast mode. I've never seen an LCD that can match it's contrast and colors, so I've not changed it out yet. Since I game mostly in a dark room having black that is actually black is important. Something like Metro 2033 on an LCD in a dark room looks really washed out compared to my CRT, due to the fact there is no real black.

So I guess color and contrast are the most important things for me. I know I will never get the blacks I want with an LCD, so I'll likely just have to get used to that part of it. It's just too bad LCD technology still can't produce a picture like CRT's from way back.

3D isn't so important to me, but somebody had told me 120Hz makes your games look incredibly smooth, although I've not seen one in action my self so I don't know if that point alone is reason enough to do 120Hz over IPS, given the advantages of IPS.
Lol, apparently you have never used a nice IPS panel...

Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-11, 05:05 PM   #9
Roliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
IPS, even though you'll probably only find eIPS panels in that price segment.
Dell 2007FP is IPS but its also 4:3 1600x1200

I'd stay with IPS if it were my money OP.
Old 04-20-11, 05:26 PM   #10
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath View Post
Dell 2007FP is IPS but its also 4:3 1600x1200

I'd stay with IPS if it were my money OP.
Not sad if you do programming.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-11, 06:02 PM   #11
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:

then your only choice is IPS
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-11, 09:10 PM   #12
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Lol, apparently you have never used a nice IPS panel...

Not sure what I should be looking for with the checker board pattern but I'd say the main black section to the left nicely demonstrates the difference in the shade of black between CRT and LCD. While it's only a few shades lighter, it's enough to take the black out of black making it a dark grey. When in constrast with lots of brights it's not at all noticeable, but in a really dark scene such as with Metro the lack of deep black is apparent.

Best Buy has the LG IPS back in stock so I'm going to get one before they're gone again. Thanks for the input everybody!
EVGA Intel X58