Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-09-03, 08:43 AM   #1
coolguy

Question Will I have to change my OS?

I am upgrading my machine from a P3 733MHz processor to the P4 2.4Ghz CPU with HT technology. I have been told that this move will show results only if I upgrade my OS from Win98SE to WinXP.

Is this true? Will all the hardware change (faster processor, RAM, HDD, 3D Card) not result in an improved performance even under Win98SE?

Also I have heard that Win98SE is better for gaming as it uses up less resources. Is this true?

Thanks!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-03, 09:01 AM   #2
digitalwanderer

Default Total BS.

You'll see a huge performance jump regardless of whether 98se takes advantage of hyper-threading.

Take it from another dinosaur, don't give up on 98se until you absolutely HAVE to....it's still the best gaming OS around.

(BTW-If you have to try XP, do a dual-boot 'tween 98se & XP. That's what I do and there are oodles of advantages to it. )

EDITED BITS: Just thought I'd add that the PC I'm typing this on Blue (see sig) started her life as a PII350, went to a PIII800, and I just recently tossed a Tulatin 1.4Ghz in her.......each time I saw a huge performance boost and I only run 98se on Blue. (Her Hauppauge TV card don't like XP, and I like her Hauppauge TV card. )

Bubbles I took from a PIII800 to Tulatin 1.4Ghz to a Barton 2500+ and I noticed huge performance boosts each upgrade to, and I run about 99% win98se on her.

A CPU upgrade will ALWAYS get you a performance boost, regardless of OS.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]

Last edited by digitalwanderer; 08-09-03 at 09:05 AM.
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-03, 10:35 AM   #3
The Baron

Dig is a Crazy Foo'. You will get a great deal more performance from that if you run XP because of HT.

Plus, in this day and age, unless you're insane and using 98Lite and all that, you should not run 9x period. 3DMark scores be damned.
Old 08-09-03, 10:38 AM   #4
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
Dig is a Crazy Foo'. You will get a great deal more performance from that if you run XP because of HT.

Plus, in this day and age, unless you're insane and using 98Lite and all that, you should not run 9x period. 3DMark scores be damned.
Unless you happen to love 98se and know it inside out and have a totally custom tweak routine worked out on all your boxes that you've been developing for years and happens to outperform XP still on all your system and prove to be more stable, THEN I think it kind of makes sense to stick with the devil ya know over a new one.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 08-09-03, 10:41 AM   #5
The Baron

Fair enough.

But, on a P4, don't run 9x. Period.
Old 08-09-03, 11:02 AM   #6
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Fair enough.

But, on a P4, don't run 9x. Period.
Now I have no clue about that one as I jumped the Intel ship after me Tulatin so I never made it up to a P4, but I guess I have to guiltily admit that when I upgraded to the Barton 2500+ that XP benched a bit quicker than 9x after I tweaked the hell out of XP and optimized it for the Barton. (But 98se beat it up until I optimized... )

Why shouldn't you run 98se on a P4?
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 08-09-03, 01:00 PM   #7
The Baron

Because you don't get HT, and that's one of the big reasons a P4 will feel faster than a Barton.
Old 08-09-03, 08:33 PM   #8
StealthHawk

Default Re: Will I have to change my OS?

Quote:
Originally posted by coolguy
I am upgrading my machine from a P3 733MHz processor to the P4 2.4Ghz CPU with HT technology. I have been told that this move will show results only if I upgrade my OS from Win98SE to WinXP.

Is this true? Will all the hardware change (faster processor, RAM, HDD, 3D Card) not result in an improved performance even under Win98SE?

Also I have heard that Win98SE is better for gaming as it uses up less resources. Is this true?

Thanks!
How much system RAM do you have? If you have 512MB or more, you should use winXP.

The bottom line is that win9x sucks. Worst memory management...ever.

Old 08-09-03, 09:05 PM   #9
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

The vastly improved OpenGL performance and support in the NT kernel is enough reason to switch to Windows XP on a permanent basis. Even most really old games will work just fine under XP. But as has been said, make sure you have yourself 512 mb of RAM if you want to run XP. If you only have 256, get Windows 2000 Professional. Win 2k does with 256 mb of RAM what XP can do with 512. Heck, I have 2000 running on my parents' machine, which is nothing more than a K6-2 350 with 128 mb of RAM.

If you have a knack for retro gaming, hold onto your PIII system, toss a GeForce2 Mx in that badboy and run Windows 98SE on there instead of your main rig. This is something I plan to do at some point, as soon as I get the funds to pick up a 440BX and a PII or PIII machine.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-03, 09:35 PM   #10
The Baron

No, Sat, toss a GF2 Vanilla in there AND a Voodoo2.
Old 08-09-03, 09:40 PM   #11
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Meh, nuts to that. Just gimme a Voodoo3 3000, 98SE and Carmageddon 2 and I'll be perfectly happy.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-03, 11:36 PM   #12
StealthHawk

Quote:
No, Sat, toss a GF2 Vanilla in there AND a Voodoo2.
Get 2 Voodoo2's and run them in SLI mode And get a Matrox card for 2d