Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-20-11, 05:05 PM   #157
|MaguS|

Default Re: Whats up with PSN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
This has nothing to do with Sony and PSN. It's subsidiary of Sony and are not really conttected to Sony other then being owned by Sony but they operate independently. They are an ISP and only thing that was stolen was $1225 in gift points...
Old 05-22-11, 06:41 PM   #158
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
This has nothing to do with Sony and PSN. It's subsidiary of Sony and are not really conttected to Sony other then being owned by Sony but they operate independently. They are an ISP and only thing that was stolen was $1225 in gift points...
Nothing to do with Sony other than they have the same name and are owned by Sony.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-11, 09:07 PM   #159
Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme View Post
Nothing to do with Sony other than they have the same name and are owned by Sony.
So-Net is a Japanese ISP run by Sony. It has absolutely nothing to do with SCEI, the PS3, or the PSN.

Large corporations like Sony own thousands of websites, products, businesses, etc. and linking them together because of who the parent company is would be asinine.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-11, 02:10 AM   #160
Lyme

Sure I'll concede, but sureley these guys count http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011...ked-sony-site/
Old 05-23-11, 05:49 PM   #161
|MaguS|

Quote:
Sure I'll concede, but sureley these guys count http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011...ked-sony-site/
Yes but any website can get hacked... But if anything this proves that Sony does take measures to protect users. Only thing obtained were Usernames, Real Names and emails; Passwords and phone numbers were left blank or fake data was put in its place.
Old 05-23-11, 07:29 PM   #162
Lyme

Or the person posting to pastebin dummied it out.

If anything this is a warning to everyone hosting stuff on the web that they better have their security in order because best efforts are not good enough.
Old 05-23-11, 07:36 PM   #163
|MaguS|

Quote:
Or the person posting to pastebin dummied it out.

If anything this is a warning to everyone hosting stuff on the web that they better have their security in order because best efforts are not good enough.
No matter of security would stop a skilled hacker. PSN was hacked by a guy (or group of guys) who used a power of a cloud service to brute strength there way into Sony PSN servers. They had up to date security.

What needs to happen is governments need take hacker seriously and go help companies who are hacked with catching them.
Old 05-24-11, 10:00 AM   #164
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD

When is the damn store gonna come up?
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-11, 01:06 PM   #165
Technoholic

Send a message via MSN to Technoholic

The store is suppose to be back online May 31st I was told, but I don't know about that anymore cuz Sony reported a 2nd breach or something like that I didn't fully look into.
-- EVGA 280GTX | SAMSUNG 225BW | X-FI XTREMEGAMER FPS | Z-5300e | Z-2300 | 250GB SEAGATE | RAZER LACHESIS
-- 320GB WESTERNDIGITAL | TAGAN 700W | G15 rev. 2 | NINE HUNDRED | VISTA HOME PREMIUM
-- no longer own this system

[MY LAPTOP]
-- MAC BOOK PRO 13" | DUAL BOOT WITH WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | 2.3GHz i5 | 4GB DDR3 |
-- OSX LION | 320GB HDD
-- Stolen :^(

[STUFF]
-- PSN: lqfocus06
-- AEKDB
Technoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 01:18 PM   #166
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technoholic View Post
The store is suppose to be back online May 31st I was told, but I don't know about that anymore cuz Sony reported a 2nd breach or something like that I didn't fully look into.
PSN has been secure since it relaunched.
Old 05-25-11, 05:48 PM   #167
Ninja Prime

All aboard the Sony fail train!

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=21725

Three more times. What I thought was particularly interesting was this:

Quote:
Sony is confident it will pay only $2 USD per lost record from its various web properties. That's less than 1 percent of the average payout of $318 USD per lost record that was the average in 2010. And in recent years the cost of data lost has tended to increase by a factor of 1.5 each year. Clearly Sony is hoping for some sort of miracle to save it financially.
Once again, Sony arrogance at its finest. Average cost is $318 USD in 2010 with a annual average increase of 50%, that makes $477 this years average, and Sony thinks that because they are so awesome they are gonna get away with $2 a peice, less than half a percentage point of the average...
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 09:46 PM   #168
Sean_W

Looks like someone or people are trying to kill them off, especially after what happened in Japan. It's a rather sickening coincidence that Sony have been attacked like this, not that I think the black helicopters have anything to do with this but it seems like it.

Not to be political but I think if this happened to Microsoft, Obama would send the bombers in.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote