Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-17-10, 12:30 PM   #1
hobbiticus

Default GT430 + 260.19.21 + VDPAU = artifacts

When I play back video using the "2x advanced" deinterlacer (have not tried others yet) with VDPAU, I get some bad artifacts. Areas in the video that are very dark will turn into a splotchy white. It's almost as if the color value for the pixels are underflowing and wrapping around to bright colors. The "white" areas look much like "snow" static on analog TVs - white noise made up of random areas of black and random areas of white that changes each frame.

These artifacts did not appear with my old 8800GT with an older driver version using the same players, and I know that the artifacts are not inherently present in the videos. The artifacts showed up in both the MythTV internal player and in xine. This leads me to believe that it's a driver problem.

Any video with black or near-black areas can be used to reproduce this.

I am running Debian Lenny on a custom 2.6.36 (preempt) kernel. As mentioned in the title, I'm using a GT 430 and driver version 260.19.21 (the only driver version that supports this card).

Also, playback seems to switch quite frequently between double framerate and normal framerate. It could be because the card doesn't quite have enough power to keep up or it could be a driver issue as well. I haven't had much time to fiddle with it yet.

I don't have debug logs yet, but I'll post them as soon as I get the time to make them.
hobbiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-10, 08:56 PM   #2
hobbiticus

Default Re: GT430 + 260.19.21 + VDPAU = artifacts

UPDATE:

I rebooted my computer and the artifacts went away, or at least they did for the first 1-2 times that I tried to play a video. However, they're back afterwards, but not as bad as before. The artifacts only seem to appear near the edges of where black meets brighter colors. I've attached the bug report and vdpau log as well.

Also, I noticed that if I try to run firefox inside a vnc session, the entire firefox window is completely black. It still responds to input, but it doesn't paint anything but black over the entire window. Other things like konsole and xosview paint just fine. Firefox renders just fine on the main display. No idea what's going on there.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (30.6 KB, 114 views)
File Type: gz vdpau.log.gz (106.3 KB, 114 views)
Old 11-22-10, 11:44 AM   #3
Stephen Warren

hobbiticus,

Can you please try MPlayer and see if you observe the same artifacts there. Also, could you upload a sample video that demonstrates your problem to the NVIDIA file drop (see forum sticky post for VDPAU); it's possible that your problem is only triggered by certain specific video content. Thanks.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-10, 03:42 PM   #4
frispete

Hi,

I get the exact same behavior with driver version 260.19.21 and just about any video player, e.g.: MPlayer-1.0rc4_r31930, vlc-1.1.5, vdr-sxfe from xineliboutput-1.0.4. They all just use the XVideo extension, hence I believe, that this part of the driver likely to be defect.

This is with a 2.6.31 kernel. Driver version 195.36.15 doesn't show this behavior.

Here are a few screen shots:

ftp://urpla.net/nvidia-artefacts1.png
ftp://urpla.net/nvidia-artefacts2.png
ftp://urpla.net/nvidia-artefacts3.png

Let me know, if I can provide more infos..
frispete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-10, 03:43 PM   #5
heldal

For what it's worth, I experience the same artefacts running mythtv on GTX260 (ubuntu 10.10 with driver 260.19.21). In my case the problem appear after a crash in mythfrontend (running bleeding edge code so I'll have to live with a few crashes) which the X-server doesn't seem to be able to recover from. When the player is restarted black (or very dark) pixels are distorted. The X-server must be restarted to restore proper video playback through vdpau.

correction: it's not always enough to restart the x-server, it may also be necessary to re-load the nvidia kernel-module
heldal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-10, 04:06 PM   #6
frispete

Forgot to note: it happens with just about any video format and content, as long as it contains dark areas with moving content. Solid black areas are displayed just fine.

Here's an example: ftp://urpla.net/sample.mpeg
frispete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-10, 06:00 PM   #7
dougdeep

This is an intermittent problem. I see it on my G210 with the same level driver. Happens in both mythtv and xbmc. Once it does start happening, I notice tearing and slight jutter in the video.

Sometimes I think it might happen after mythtv pukes watching video, but I'm not certain.
dougdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-10, 08:00 AM   #8
jyavenard
MythTV developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heldal View Post
For what it's worth, I experience the same artefacts running mythtv on GTX260 (ubuntu 10.10 with driver 260.19.21). In my case the problem appear after a crash in mythfrontend (running bleeding edge code so I'll have to live with a few crashes) which the X-server doesn't seem to be able to recover from. When the player is restarted black (or very dark) pixels are distorted. The X-server must be restarted to restore proper video playback through vdpau.

correction: it's not always enough to restart the x-server, it may also be necessary to re-load the nvidia kernel-module
I have to put my hand up on this one too..
I recently upgraded from 256.cantremember to 260.19.21.

On the 9400M it looked pretty bad, OpenGL mythtv interface would have spots here and there, often the ghost of a previous picture.

With VDPAU it's worth, and when I stop VDPAU playback, the last frame continued to be displayed in the background, in greyscale and slightly distorded.

I then put a GT220, it's a tad better, but the ghost of the previous vdpau frame still shows.

In a few cases, X starts to use 100% of CPU usage, machines become very unresponsive and I have to then reboot.

Those issue do not arise with 256.x (but then I get quite a few libGL segfault)
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-10, 11:38 AM   #9
Blammo

FWIW, I am also seeing the same issues since I upgraded to 260.xx drivers. I've been able to tune ..somewhat... using VDPAUbuffersize, but I can't make it go away.

I'm seeing two issues:

1. MPEG2 playback + blacks, exactly like others in this thread have listed.
2. H.264 playback and "juddering"

If I remove the VDPAUbuffersize statement, it's ROTTEN on both fronts.. Right now I'm sitting at a buffersize=12, which is the best I've been able to manage so far, but far from perfect.

System:
Fedora 12 - 2.6.32.23-170.fc12.x86_64
NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module 260.19.21 Thu Nov 4 21:16:27 PDT 2010

-- General info --
Card: nVidia Geforce 8500GT
Architecture: G86 A2
PCI id: 0x421
GPU clock: 594.000 MHz
Bustype: PCI-Express
Blammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-10, 12:24 PM   #10
Stephen Warren

hobbiticus, I've filed a bug for you issue; we'll attempt to reproduce it.

There are a lot of reports of other probably-unrelated issues in this thread too. For now, we're concentrating on just the original reported issue.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-10, 03:47 PM   #11
hobbiticus

Actually, it sounds like a lot of these reports are very similar to what I experienced.

However, I can give an update on the framerate speed issues. I believe that this is actually being caused by my TV. The same effect can be seen when watching TV straight from my cable box. I did find a setting on my TV for 120hz stuff, turned it off, and now the framerate is stable (although lower).

I'd also like to add that at the time of seeing these black/white artifacts I was doing a lot of fiddling with settings, killing video player processes, and possibly even starting/stopping X at the time. That is consistent with other reports in this thread and may be a possible cause. Like I said in my original post, a reboot/reinstall seemed to fix it (I had to reinstall the driver because I installed a new kernel as well).
Old 12-10-10, 10:55 AM   #12
sandipt
NVIDIA Corporation

Hello hobbiticus,
I am trying to repro this bug , not able to identify what artifacts exactly you are pointing to ?
Are you still facing this issue. Can you try fresh OS installation ?

Need some more information to repro this bug :

- Can you upload 2 videos : 0ne with issue repro and other with no issue repro for gpu boards you are having. .

- Can you upload 2 screenshots : 0ne with issue repro and other with no issue repro for gpu boards you are having.

If possible point artifacts with arrow OR circle on screenshot.
sandipt is offline   Reply With Quote