Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-09-03, 05:49 PM   #1
jerone2

Default Nvidia Driver + AGP + 1GIG RAM = HANG!

Hey,
When I try to use the Nvidia drivers in agp mode (NVAGP or AGPGART) with 1 Gig of RAM in my system it hangs when I try to run an opengl app or eventually just flacks out. But the second I go to 768 mb of RAM everything is fine. Now the drivers work fine when I have agp cut off and 1 Gig RAM , via XFree86Config file and seeting NVAGP to "0". But, when apg is on the machine will go into X windows, but the second you use an app that uses opengl (ex glxgears) , it hangs. Or if you don't use any 3d apps, it'll work fine about 5 minutes then start to flakeout then hang. But when I take out ram and make it under a gig everything is fine. I've tryed different RAM combinations so it's not the RAM. Yes I am using the lastest driver, but this was also happening in the last release, I was hoping it would be fixed or realized. Oh and I've also changed tried changing the agp settings in the bios ( from 4x to 2x) and no effect. Help Nvidia ?

Here are my specs:
Redhat 9
Geforce 4 4600 (using DVI port)
Samsung 191T
Abit KT7A (VIA Board)
1 Gig Crucial PC 133 (1x512 , 2x256)
Athlon 1.2 @ 133 , no overclocking here
Intel ethernet card

Last edited by jerone2; 08-09-03 at 05:55 PM.
jerone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-03, 08:15 PM   #2
pe1chl

Maybe a BIOS problem?

My nVidia card works OK with 1GB RAM...
(Intel 845G board, using agpgart)
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-03, 12:31 PM   #3
lrj

Default Via Chipset issues

I also have a Via motherboard and from what I've dug up the Via chipset is the problem. Supposedly it is the way the older Via manipulates memory. It was supposedly fixed in the newer kernel releases but that doesn't seem true. I've recently upgraded from a GeForce 2 to a GeForce FX 5200 and for the most part I run without AGP until I want to play a game. I run with 1.5GB of RAM on an AMD 1.0GHz Thunderbird. Unless you plan to get a new motherboard (I recommend steering clear of Via until someone can say it works) then your only other option is to add the line - Option "NVAGP" "0" to your device section in XF86Config-4 to disable AGP. When you need AGP just change the zero to 1 (make sure you don't have AGPGART loaded) and restart X. I'm also using the "mem=nopentium" boot option but that doesn't work to well with AGP enabled even though it is one suggested solution. You may have better luck using that option.
lrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-03, 01:56 PM   #4
jerone2

, yeah I think I'm just going to have to due without AGP for now. I tried the "mem=nopentium" , but all I got was a blank screan, and a complete hang. I also went as far as trying different bios verisions on abit's site, but no go same old problem. I would like to have AGP, but I guess I'll have to do with out it . I mainly wanted to get the problem posted and see if anyone else is experiencing this problem. I need to have a gig of ram in my system for some of the work that I do requires it. But I would like to boost my opengl performance (oh well hopefully the Athlon 64 chipsets will not have these problems when they come around)
Old 08-10-03, 02:20 PM   #5
lrj

Default only Via problem

As far as I've heard, it is only a problem with older Via chipsets. I'm planning to upgrade and I'm gonna see about getting a nVidia-based motherboard. No more Via boards for me. :-(
lrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-03, 05:11 PM   #6
DisAstro

I've got the feeling this has something to do with your kernel... are you using the "bigmem" kernel? If not, that would explain why you only have crashes when using 1Gb of RAM... The kernel can normally only addres some +-900MB of RAM, and if your AGP-aperture is partly in the remaining 100MB... well, it would give something unexpected, the kernel can't addres that part of RAM... That would also explain why it doesn't crash without AGP support...

I suggest you check your kernel, and replace it with a bigmem one, or build one yoursef...

Just my thougt, it could be something completely defferent...
DisAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-03, 03:19 PM   #7
Tommi

I am not totally sure, but if I remember correctly, the BIGMEM architecture is for those who has over 4 gigabytes of RAM. But if I am wrong it may be wise for me to install BIGMEM kernel, but I think that when I tried that many months ago, Linux said, that I didnt have enough memery for BIGMEM kernel. I have also 1 gigabyte of DDR ram in my comp.

-Tommi
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-03, 07:17 PM   #8
DisAstro

I'm not entirely sure, I'm not using Redhat, but when I configure my kernel, I have to specify that I'll be using more then +-900 MB of RAM, and below 4GB... It is also possible to select up to 64GB (wich can be the BIGMEM one)...

(after some searching, I found out you're right about this... the next part will probably be useless too...)

I have no idea what redhat uses as default kernel, but I assumed it uses as much standard as possible... You can however check if you are able to use all your ram, any system-monitoring tool (like "top"...) is able to show how much ram is accessible, if it is more then 20-50 mb off (it's allways somewhat off, that space is used to store the kernel itself), then there's a problem at the kernel-level...
DisAstro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-03, 02:51 AM   #9
pe1chl

FWIW, my system (with 1GB DDR RAM) runs SuSE 8.2 and they use the 4GB kernel by default. It works fine.

But probably the problem is not in the kernel but the chipset, others pointed out. This is an Intel 845G chipset and I must say the system is very stable.

(my personal preference is to stay away from VIA, nVIDIA, AMD etc etc and only use Intel processors on Intel chipsets. but to each his own...)
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-03, 05:31 AM   #10
Tommi

Yes you are right! Use only Intel parts, they work. Nvidia makes only good grafics cards, but thats all. Maybe someday they learn to make motherboard chipsets also but it takes its time to practise first.

-Tommi
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-03, 06:26 PM   #11
shakeMe

pls try the bootoption "vga=normal" without the ""

that option allows my system to boot with 1gb ram
shakeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-03, 06:58 PM   #12
jerone2

hi all,

shakman: I can boot the system fine with apg and a gig of and X even comes up , and I can log in, but if I launch an opengl app it hangs, or if I don't give it about a minute or 2 and it starts to flake out until it hangs. So your option is useless. But thanks for the advice!

DisAstro: No, the Bigmem patch is for 2 gigs and over, it works fine with a gig of ram as long as I don't cut on AGP. And right now that's what I'm doing just setting NVAGP=0 in XF86Config everything works fine. Also my AGP apeture is only set to 64mb.

This seems to be a VIA related issues. I havn't tried any new kernels on it , just stickin with the Redhat stock kernel ( I actually do work on my machine) for now.