Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-02-11, 07:07 PM   #1
Dirthead

Default ssd card dying on me??

I'm starting to get long pauses while loading windows... I get the black screen with the windows logo.. and it just sits for long while.. and the keyboard or mouse lights are not on, and then after a while it will boot up.... http://img546.imageshack.us/i/79848533.jpg/ It hangs on that screen and does nothing.. but then loads up... So is that ssd or ram or something else causing the problem?
Dirthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 10:07 PM   #2
Bman212121

Default Re: ssd card dying on me??

If it's booting it could be numerous issues. The easiest way to check would be to just take out a stick of ram at a time and see if it makes a difference or not. Then you could try some simple drive tests like hdtach and see if there are any anomalies. It could be a bad driver causing it to hang, a piece of hardware plugged in that is failing (like a printer, the keyboard, or the mouse)

Just strip it down to the essentials and test them one at a time. You only need a CPU, 1 stick of ram, the board, a graphics card, and the HDD to boot a pc. Then obviously having a monitor connected to see what's going on. Unplug the DVD drive, any extra ram, any other peripherals, any expansion cards; disable onboard sound in the BIOS. That alone should help eliminate a lot of possible causes.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11, 10:38 AM   #3
Dirthead

I think it was one of my dvd drives not booting up... as when windows loaded up, it only showed on of my two dvd drives... so i shut down and cleaned the power/sata plugs on all my drives, little dust build up, and made sure they were all clean and fully connected, and i rebooted the pc, it loaded up just fine. and the OS showed both dvd drives, so i hope i found the problem
Dirthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-11, 11:32 AM   #4
Bman212121

Yea that will do it. Hope you have it fixed.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote