Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-09-11, 06:36 PM   #25
Sean_W

Default Re: Sony Offline Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
Hey thanks for proving my point dude.

People who wanted a gaming system bought the Wii, and it won the console war this gen.

People who wanted a higher end gaming system bought the 360, and its in second place this gen.

People who wanted a blu-ray player with gaming ability bought the PS3, and its in third place.

Lesson: Gaming console is for games, blu-ray player is for movies. Sony has a dream of selling you a million dollar package with a thousand different Sony products packaged inside it, so everything you have is Sony. The reality is people just want to play some games. Could have dropped the price on the PS3 by $50 or more had they gone with DVD, and likely it would have then won over at least the 360.
Price is only one factor and you're avoiding the simple fact that blu-ray can hold more than a DVD, it's not just for playing movies you know. BTW, PS3 can play DVDs as well, so do your research.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 07:08 PM   #26
ViN86

Quote:

People who wanted a gaming system bought the Wii, and it won the console war this gen.

People who wanted a higher end gaming system bought the 360, and its in second place this gen.

People who wanted a blu-ray player with gaming ability bought the PS3, and its in third place.

Lesson: Gaming console is for games, blu-ray player is for movies. Sony has a dream of selling you a million dollar package with a thousand different Sony products packaged inside it, so everything you have is Sony. The reality is people just want to play some games. Could have dropped the price on the PS3 by $50 or more had they gone with DVD, and likely it would have then won over at least the 360.
Correlation is not causation. The PS3 is in last place because of its late release date and extraordinarily high price (remember it launched at $500+). Since then, PS3 has lost features (PS2 BC, Other OS, etc.) while 360 has gained features (smaller/cooler chipset, WiFi, etc.) while keeping costs low. PS3 has gained a lot of ground since launch, but it won't overtake the 360.

The PS3 launched with WiFi, Bluetooth, multiple USB ports, PS2 hardware-based backwards compatibility, and a Blu-Ray player. Its feature set was matched by no other, but the high price of all these features led to its downfall. Not the Blu-ray alone. Remember, 360 launched with NO WiFi, minimal software-based BC, no Bluetooth, and no HDMI. The Wii launched with WiFi, but the other hardware was so cheap, Nintendo didn't even take a hit.

The Wii was marketed towards kids and has always been very cheap. Even though it launched at the same time as the PS3, the price and market, along with its proprietary control scheme (i.e. gimmicky), set it up to be a winner from the onset. PS3 was marketed more towards late teens and adults, a much smaller market of gamers.

Something as simple as the Blu-Ray player is most definitely not the cause of the PS3's sales performance.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 07:24 PM   #27
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Yea Vin is right, the money is the main cause of the numbers that resulted. Also it seems like there is alot of money in parents buying their young kids game systems and the wii scored really high in this demographic.

Funny enough, I know of no one who is actually excited that they own a wii. I know some non gamers with wii, and gamers with wii have generally also bought another system. I am pretty sure most wii sales were based off hype surrounding its controller, with no one actually researching how well games work with it, nore what games are actually going to be available.

MS and Sony are pretty much resting on their fan base and their set of game exclusives and services. Sony ended up 3rd place here pretty much because it was a good $100 more then the fully loaded xbox and remained that way for a good long time while not offering much over the 360 besides bluray.
Old 05-10-11, 11:46 AM   #28
Bah!

Quote:

1) The PS3 was released a full year after the 360.
2) PS3 sales worldwide are nearly the same as 360 sales. 50 vs 53 million total.
3) The PS3 has outsold the 360 for nearly three years straight and the two years before that sales were nearly identical.

The PS3 is a success, whether you want to admit it or not, and eventually it will surpass the 360 in total sales, even with this latest fiasco.

I own a Wii, 360 and PS3 in addition to my computer. The PS3 is far and away the best investment of the three consoles. The other two collect dust for the most part, and don't come close to the PS3 in terms of exclusive games, which is what consoles are about IMO.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote