Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-19-11, 11:09 AM   #1
2briancox

Default Compositing on 2nd monitor

I am running Linux Mint 11 (Gnome) on my computer.

I have a nVidia G98 [Quadro NVS 420] graphics card attached to 2 separate monitors via DVI. The primary monitor works fine. But the second monitor seems to not run compositing properly. There is no windows decoration I believe. (no borders to windows and no title bar).

Also, I am having difficulty figuring out how to move windows between the two displays.

I am posting my xorg.conf here:

http://pastebin.com/KeW5xVDp
2briancox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 01:44 PM   #2
AireTamStrm

Default Re: Compositing on 2nd monitor

You cannot move windows between the two displays with that setup... it looks like you have two graphics cards (one monitor on each card), correct?

If you are not using two separate screens for a specific reason, connect both monitors to the same card if possible and use TwinView.

Otherwise, Xinerama is your only solution for moving windows between cards, and while Xinerama is enabled, compositing cannot be used on any display.
AireTamStrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 01:49 PM   #3
2briancox

I only have 1 graphics card. There is also onboard graphics processing but it must be a "one or the other" thing. The graphics card I have gives 4 DVI ports that can be plugged into. And both of my monitors are plugged into those.

For some reason "TwinView" is greyed out in my nVidia settings and cannot be selected through the GUI. Can I edit the xorg.conf manually to do it?
2briancox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 01:52 PM   #4
AireTamStrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2briancox View Post
I only have 1 graphics card. There is also onboard graphics processing but it must be a "one or the other" thing. The graphics card I have gives 4 DVI ports that can be plugged into. And both of my monitors are plugged into those.

For some reason "TwinView" is greyed out in my nVidia settings and cannot be selected through the GUI. Can I edit the xorg.conf manually to do it?
My apologies, the 420 shows up as two cards on my workstation as well. Try playing with which DVI ports you use to get them on the same "card", and enable TwinView.
AireTamStrm is offline   Reply With Quote