Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-15-11, 06:07 PM   #1
Sean_W

Default Help With Case Air Flow And Fan Placement

Hi guys,

From what I've read, the best places for the best air flow and fan placement are:

A 120mm fan at the front of the case to blow air though the case and then a 80mm fan to suck it out. Is this right, what do you recommend I use for the side to keep my GPU cooler?

On the side of my case I have a 120mm(bottom) and a 80mm(about where the CPU is) fitting. What do I put here and blowing in or out?
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 06:39 PM   #2
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default Re: Help With Case Air Flow And Fan Placement

What case do you have?

Generally, you want cool air coming in at the front/bottom, and hot air being exhausted out the top/back. This should yield the best results.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 06:51 PM   #3
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
What case do you have?

Generally, you want cool air coming in at the front/bottom, and hot air being exhausted out the top/back. This should yield the best results.
It's just a cheap case but I plan on getting a Coolermaster at some point.

Got a "Akasa AK-FN051 80mm Smart Fan" coming tomorrow and already fitted a 120mm fan at the front blowing in. Should I use any side fans?
Old 05-15-11, 07:00 PM   #4
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

For the side fans, use them to blow in. Otherwise, don't use them at all.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 07:28 PM   #5
Sean_W

OK, Thanks.
Old 05-15-11, 09:09 PM   #6
Pennyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Hi guys,

From what I've read, the best places for the best air flow and fan placement are:

A 120mm fan at the front of the case to blow air though the case and then a 80mm fan to suck it out. Is this right, what do you recommend I use for the side to keep my GPU cooler?

On the side of my case I have a 120mm(bottom) and a 80mm(about where the CPU is) fitting. What do I put here and blowing in or out?
Hey Sean, yes as already mentioned the best fan setup is front fan intake, rear fan to exhaust air, top to blow out and side as an intake. Bottom also to an intake. Just a thought, I found the 80mm fans not to be that great unless they spun really quickly (and loud ), they are just to small to move a sufficient amount of air, especially for todays highend parts. I had an old Cooler Master Wave Master case which I loved and I still think its one of the nicest looking cases ever made but with high end, hot computer parts the 80mm fans could not keep up. I am running a Cosmos S case now which has 1 x 120mm front intake fan, 1x120mm exhaust fan, 3 x 120mm top exhaust fans and 1 200mm intake fan and this is keeping my gear nice and cool. My 580GTX is running at between 61 - 65c when gaming, CPU is around 42c under load with a stock cooler (the CPU is not overclocked).
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 x2 SLI
Corsair H100i Hydro Water Cooler
Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB
Corsair AX1200i PSU
Intel 520 480GB SATA3 SSD
Western Digital 2TB Caviar Black Edition
Corsair Obsidian 900D Case
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD PCIe
Logitech Z-680 5.1 Speakers
Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard
Logitech G500s Mouse
ASUS VG236H 23.6" 120hz LCD with nVidia 3D Vision
Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Pennyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 09:31 PM   #7
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennyboy View Post
Hey Sean, yes as already mentioned the best fan setup is front fan intake, rear fan to exhaust air, top to blow out and side as an intake. Bottom also to an intake. Just a thought, I found the 80mm fans not to be that great unless they spun really quickly (and loud ), they are just to small to move a sufficient amount of air, especially for todays highend parts. I had an old Cooler Master Wave Master case which I loved and I still think its one of the nicest looking cases ever made but with high end, hot computer parts the 80mm fans could not keep up. I am running a Cosmos S case now which has 1 x 120mm front intake fan, 1x120mm exhaust fan, 3 x 120mm top exhaust fans and 1 200mm intake fan and this is keeping my gear nice and cool. My 580GTX is running at between 61 - 65c when gaming, CPU is around 42c under load with a stock cooler (the CPU is not overclocked).
OK then. It sounds like I should go for a new case instead and was looking at the Coolermaster Elite 370, which is in my price range.

120mm fans are much quieter though I noticed. Should I invest in some better quality 120mm fans.
Old 05-15-11, 10:01 PM   #8
Pennyboy

Quote:
OK then. It sounds like I should go for a new case instead and was looking at the Coolermaster Elite 370, which is in my price range.

120mm fans are much quieter though I noticed. Should I invest in some better quality 120mm fans.
Hi Sean, the Elite 370 will be a great case and has plenty of cooling bays for fans. The stock fans are probably ok to begin with, see how they go as the case only includes front and rear fans. I would just worry about putting your money into some extra fans, and replace those fans later on, if you want a better quality fan that will move more air and is quieter. As far as fans go I run Noctua's in my case, these move a good amount of air and are very very quiet, near silent in fact even at 1200rpm (there max speed). The model I use is the NF-S12B FLX and I guarantee you will like them, the build quality is the best you can buy and you could even go with the NF-P14 FLX which is the 140mm version as that case has room for 140mm fans. The Noctua's also come with a 6 year warranty but the only thing with Noctua fans is they are pretty expensive. If you cannot afford Noctua's then I have heard Scythe's are pretty good but I have not had any experience with them. The cooler master fans are ok but you will find they wear out very quickly (not stop working altogether but as the cooler master fans are sleeve bearing, they are pretty quiet to begin with but after a several months of use they start to whine and become a lot more noisy than when they were brand new).
Corsair AX1200i PSU
Logitech G500s Mouse
Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Old 05-15-11, 10:23 PM   #9
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennyboy View Post
Hi Sean, the Elite 370 will be a great case and has plenty of cooling bays for fans. The stock fans are probably ok to begin with, see how they go as the case only includes front and rear fans. I would just worry about putting your money into some extra fans, and replace those fans later on, if you want a better quality fan that will move more air and is quieter. As far as fans go I run Noctua's in my case, these move a good amount of air and are very very quiet, near silent in fact even at 1200rpm (there max speed). The model I use is the NF-S12B FLX and I guarantee you will like them, the build quality is the best you can buy and you could even go with the NF-P14 FLX which is the 140mm version as your case has room for 140mm fans. The Noctua's also come with a 6 year warranty but the only thing with Noctua fans is they are pretty expensive. If you cannot afford Noctua's then I have heard Scythe's are pretty good but I have not had any expenience with them. The cooler master fans are ok but you will find they wear out very quickly (not stop working altogether but as the cooler master fans are sleeve bearing, they are pretty quiet to begin with but after a several months of use they start to whine and become a lot more noisy than when they were brand new).
Those fans look good yeah, I might invest in such quality ones. My current 120mm fan cost 4 but the Noctua one is 17, LOL. Pay for quality that's for sure.
Old 05-15-11, 10:32 PM   #10
Pennyboy

Quote:
Those fans look good yeah, I might invest in such quality ones. My current 120mm fan cost 4 but the Noctua one is 17, LOL. Pay for quality that's for sure.
Yeah, you wont regret it. My PC is pleasure to use when surfing the net, word processing etc before my old case fans would whine and rattle and annoy the hell out of me. I had to always listen to music lol. If you didn't want too spend to much cash at first, one side intake and 1 top exhaust Noctua's would probably be enough to be honest. The Geforce 460's don't generate anywhere near the heat the 480s do.
Corsair AX1200i PSU
Logitech G500s Mouse
Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Old 05-15-11, 10:55 PM   #11
Sean_W

My 460 is noisy at full load so I want to try and keep it as cool as possible. Thanks for the tips!
Old 05-15-11, 11:08 PM   #12
Pennyboy

Quote:
My 460 is noisy at full load so I want to try and keep it as cool as possible. Thanks for the tips!
No problems. Let me know how you get on once you get your PC up and running in your new case
Corsair AX1200i PSU
Logitech G500s Mouse