Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-18-11, 05:04 PM   #13
avesta

Default Re: Recommendation for Video editing/Gaming PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
cuda is way more popular when it comes to video editing, u can see a lot of compression programs have the cuda check box to use...i personally don't have any experience with it..it might be alot faster...but i noticed ure going for the z68 series mobo...don't those have some special intel thing to help with video compression?
I'm not sure.
Can someone clarify this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy2k1 View Post
For video compression, forget CUDA and go with intel conversion engine inside the new core processor (definitly present in the i5 2500K). The Z68 should let you use it while using an external vid-card too.

It's both faster and better quality.
I don't quite understand. Can you elaborate?
What advantages does this give exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
If you have quality videos I don't know of a program that will utilize CUDA. You'd want to encode to x.264 so it's going to be dependent on the processor. A Sandy Bridge 2600K would be a better buy IMO since it has higher clock speeds. That would mean a different board and memory setup though.
Well, I'm not a hardcore professional, so I don't know if upgrading the processor is worth it for me. The 2500 is still plenty fast right?
avesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 06:21 AM   #14
krokodil
Null Byte Bug Hunter

Default Re: Recommendation for Video editing/Gaming PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilk View Post
I wouldn't get an ATi card for video editing. If anything, OpenGL is used as a rendering engine so that's about it. But if a program is using CUDA, which is more common than ATi's API (Stream), then you're screwed. I got my 5770 for video editing a long time ago since OpenGL is what we use. But after a while, I needed to use other programs that used CUDA and I was pretty screwed.

But as of now, I have yet to see anything that actually utilizes Stream. There is NOTHING out there that uses it that I've come across for usage in day-to-day editing.

YMMV.
I'll sign that without further comment.

One thing to add: in another time, in another life, I had to convert HD films to SD format and was pulling my hair out with the trouble the FireGL gave me. Changed that to a QuadroFX and everything was well

Another thing to consider: your requirements don't fit together. If it's for money video editing (or any professional activity) integrity and security of the data is a must and that does not fit with a gaming machine. This starts with ECC everywhere (CPU, RAM) and ends with mirroring data (RAID 1, 5, 10 etc.). If it's just for fun home video editing - never mind.

GA-EX38-DS5 | Core 2 Q9450 | AC Freezer 7 Pro | 2x KVR800D2E5/2G | ZOTAC GeForce 8800GT AMP!
4x HDP725032GLA360 RAID-10 | Enermax PRO82+ 525W | CoolerMaster RC-590

GA-EX58-UD5 | Core i 7-940 | CoolerMaster V8 | KHX12800D3LLK3/6GX | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 280
4x WD10EADS RAID-10 | Enermax REVOLUTION85+ 850W | CoolerMaster RC-600

ZOTAC GeForce 9300-ITX WiFi | Celeron E3200 | 2x KVR800D2E5/2G | SSDSA2MH160G2
WD10EADS | GGC-H20L | Enermax PRO82+ 385W | Lian Li PC-Q07B | Boy this box is cramped
krokodil is offline   Reply With Quote