Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-08-11, 08:43 PM   #241
grey_1

Default Re: Official Witcher 2 - The Assassins of Kings

I do have so say that, as much as I'm enjoying this game, the new battle mechanics are absolutely the worst thing I've seen in some time. Just horrendous.

3-4 second delays at times, near impossible to keep Geralt from diving into the middle of a huge battle and being sliced and diced, ah, I could carry on a bit, but won't.

I'll just say I much prefer the first games battle scheme.
Old 06-09-11, 05:43 AM   #242
wysiwyg

just got the soundtrack. its excellent.

i put this game along side Assassins creed franchise, another most fave game of mine. i never liked witcher 1 too, but 2 is awesome in everyway
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 10:12 AM   #243
Ancient76
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
just got the soundtrack. its excellent.

i put this game along side Assassins creed franchise, another most fave game of mine. i never liked witcher 1 too, but 2 is awesome in everyway
Blasphemy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Duo E8400 4.2GHz / Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Asus P5Q Pro
Kingston DDR2 / 2x2GB
MSI 5850 Twin Frozr II
ASUS 22" VW220T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA II
Corsair HX620W
Sharkoon Rebel 9
Ancient76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 02:54 PM   #244
hirantha
SUC SUDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
I do have so say that, as much as I'm enjoying this game, the new battle mechanics are absolutely the worst thing I've seen in some time. Just horrendous.

3-4 second delays at times, near impossible to keep Geralt from diving into the middle of a huge battle and being sliced and diced, ah, I could carry on a bit, but won't.

I'll just say I much prefer the first games battle scheme.

you just need to master that timing of your swings grey, i will not say the attack controls are better than what Witcher 1 had but its fun.

new controls make you use everything you got when in a fight, signs, bombs/traps and nicely timed few sword swings and blocks.

try going all the way in your sword tree, you will be too Overpowered!!! i mean its fun to see your foes just drop dead on the floor

Look me up in AION and GW2
Game Tag: Famorak
hirantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 06:09 PM   #245
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirantha View Post
you just need to master that timing of your swings grey, i will not say the attack controls are better than what Witcher 1 had but its fun.

new controls make you use everything you got when in a fight, signs, bombs/traps and nicely timed few sword swings and blocks.

try going all the way in your sword tree, you will be too Overpowered!!! i mean its fun to see your foes just drop dead on the floor
Oh..no no. I don't mean that. I'm talking about the forced delay of using spells, the way Geralt will simply stand there while I'm mashing the dodge button, the way they don't allow you to use certain weapons...why can't I throw daggers at the dragon? No good reason.

They've either neutered the combat or broken it. That's what I mean. The fights where it actually works as advertised are nice, but the (whether built in or bugs) delays in his movement, spells and sometimes even parrying ruin most of the fights.
Old 06-09-11, 06:56 PM   #246
Yaboze

I have experienced this too and it only gets worse as they do cheap tactics like spawning 5-8 mobs on you (Harpy's in that cave) with no real room to dodge (roll) around.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 07:31 PM   #247
ArrowMk84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze View Post
I have experienced this too and it only gets worse as they do cheap tactics like spawning 5-8 mobs on you (Harpy's in that cave) with no real room to dodge (roll) around.
So? Don't be stupid, run back into the caves, and take 'em two at a time, since that's all the cave walls will allow to come at you. Bombs are great for that battle, too. Don't even try to fight them out in the open.

Grey's complaints are somewhat valid. You getting swarmed is your own fault.
Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6GHz | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz 9-10-9-27 | Dual EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB | Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro PCI-E | Intel 510 Series SSD 120 GB | 2x Raptor 600 GB RAID | 2TB WD Black | Lite-On 21x Blu-ray Burner | Corsair AX1200 Modular PSU | Silverstone FT02 | Corsair H60 with Dual Fans | Dell 3007-HC 30" LCD | Audioengine 5 & S8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
ArrowMk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 07:38 PM   #248
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowMk84 View Post
So? Don't be stupid, run back into the caves, and take 'em two at a time, since that's all the cave walls will allow to come at you. Bombs are great for that battle, too. Don't even try to fight them out in the open.

I usually only need to get swarmed once, the next time I load I'm mashing that Quen(sp?) button

Funny, I don't think I ever used that spell in the first one, don't know why. I did figure out the getting stuck though. Certain battles (I have no idea when it will happen) if I try to dodge for my first move, I'm stuck. If I take just one step, then everything works as advertised - I just have no way of knowing when it will happen. It's the same with the spells. I have to move first, then cast.

EDIT: I forgot, thanks for the harpy tip - worked a charm.

Old 06-09-11, 07:42 PM   #249
Yaboze

Quote:

Wow, such a dick comment.

Running into the caves doesn't help much when fighting draws me in the middle of the pack as Grey said.

Combat sucks in this game. Sorry.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 07:48 PM   #250
ArrowMk84

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
I usually only need to get swarmed once, the next time I load I'm mashing that Quen(sp?) button

Funny, I don't think I ever used that spell in the first one, don't know why. I did figure out the getting stuck though. Certain battles (I have no idea when it will happen) if I try to dodge for my first move, I'm stuck. If I take just one step, then everything works as advertised - I just have no way of knowing when it will happen. It's the same with the spells. I have to move first, then cast.

EDIT: I forgot, thanks for the harpy tip - worked a charm.
No problem!

As perverse as it sounds, one thing I love about this game is that punishes you for being dumb. I mean, how many people are use to modern RPG mechanics, where you can wade into a crowd and come out of the fight without being in too bad a shape? And then how many of them charged the soldiers at the ballista in the prologue and got their asses handed to them? I know I did, and I was actually giddy about it. I mean, here's a game that just smacked me for being an idiot in the first fight in the game! The feeling of invincibility I had from other RPGs and FPSs (with regenerating health...) wore off real quick.
Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6GHz | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz 9-10-9-27 | Dual EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB | Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro PCI-E | Intel 510 Series SSD 120 GB | 2x Raptor 600 GB RAID | 2TB WD Black | Lite-On 21x Blu-ray Burner | Corsair AX1200 Modular PSU | Silverstone FT02 | Corsair H60 with Dual Fans | Dell 3007-HC 30" LCD | Audioengine 5 & S8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
ArrowMk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 08:43 PM   #251
grey_1

Quote:
No problem!

As perverse as it sounds, one thing I love about this game is that punishes you for being dumb. I mean, how many people are use to modern RPG mechanics, where you can wade into a crowd and come out of the fight without being in too bad a shape? And then how many of them charged the soldiers at the ballista in the prologue and got their asses handed to them? I know I did, and I was actually giddy about it. I mean, here's a game that just smacked me for being an idiot in the first fight in the game! The feeling of invincibility I had from other RPGs and FPSs (with regenerating health...) wore off real quick.
HA! Isn't that the truth?!

I'm almost a straight FPS player, Doom 3, Crysis etc, so the first one was a totally new experience for me and this took it to a new level. I have no idea how many times I ran away from a fight thinking "I won't do that again."

Gotta start another playthrough too and see what I missed now that I'm used to it.
Old 06-11-11, 09:15 AM   #252
styles-T
-========-

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
**** 9gb patch...i cant download lol i dont have much space left for the month..have to wait till 19th now :/
This absolutely ridiculous. 2nd patch @ 9gb. I have the bandwidth and speed for it but its so unnecessary that you have to install the whole game from scratch every time a patch is released. First time I get to play this week and now I have to wait an hour for it to finish.