Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-30-11, 03:58 PM   #313
grey_1

Default Re: Official Witcher 2 - The Assassins of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar View Post
installed the update yesterday as well. I haven't played through the main story yet as I'm wrapping up the first game before I start but I did the training part and the controls are TOTALLY DIFFERENT!

They really did change a lot of stuff but although I like how some stuff is simplified, some other stuff is a bit confusing. It took me a while to figure out how I was supposed to use the mutagen.

I like the slow vs fast attack rather than the slow/fast/group but I don't like how you have to hit the number buttons for the various Aard signs. I prefer the pause/pick one/right click to use method. Having that implemented in this game with like the center click or something would be nice.

I'll probably have to go in and see if they offer the same different style of camera as witcher 1. I've gotten so used to playing it with that control scheme, it made playing through Witcher 2's tutorial area very awkward.

Also, I don't like how you can't change controls or anything in game.
Everything threw me on the second one after playing the first several times

So, sooo worth it once I got used to the new control schemes though. I do still think it's stupid to have to kneel to drink a potion, other than that I love this game.
Old 10-03-11, 11:53 AM   #314
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

Well, I beat witcher 1 yesterday morning. Man it got hard FAST hahah

The ending cinematic was a HUGE cliffhanger though and I'm really glad that I had the next game waiting to see what happens next.

Anyways, I'm maybe kinda towards the end of the prologue of witcher 2. Not sure exactly how far. Trying to escape the jail.

I decided to man up and play in Dark mode difficulty for the extra items and stuff. I ran through the tutorial again before starting it after remapping a lot of the controls. Kinda mad that you can't map the map/inventory/quest/journal to other keys. I set the middle mouse button to cast spells and so far it's working nicely.

I think what I miss the most so far is the group attack mode. Not being able to hit multiple enemies makes fighting mobs incredibly hard as they can gang up on you or come up from behind quickly without you having time to dodge out of the way.

That and Aard and Igni signs only hitting one enemy? Pff.. lame. Late in witcher 1, I was having to spam Igni to control the mobs in the swamps but I see now in the 2nd game, you have to upgrade it to hit more than one guy?

Anyways, those are my only gripes so far. The game starts off with a bang and is non stopped action so far and kept me glued to the screen. the graphics are absolutely STUNNING. I'm running everything maxed out except ubersampling turned off.

Oh one more gripe. I imported my save game from the end of the 1st game. Why in the hell is Raven's armor, Gwalhir, D'yaebl and Aerondight only MARGINALLY better than the other starting gear??? I understand wanting to make the game challenging and not give you the best weapons in the game to start off with but especially with Aerondight and Raven's armor, the entire lore of the 1st game essentially leads you to believe that they are the best of the best yet in the 2nd game, they're basically noob gear. Hell, Aerondight only does ONE damage over the basic witcher's silver sword in the 2nd game

WTF...
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 12:02 PM   #315
grey_1

Quote:
.......I understand wanting to make the game challenging and not give you the best weapons in the game to start off with but especially with Aerondight and Raven's armor, the entire lore of the 1st game essentially leads you to believe that they are the best of the best yet in the 2nd game, they're basically noob gear. Hell, Aerondight only does ONE damage over the basic witcher's silver sword in the 2nd game

WTF...
At the end of the first game you are a killing machine, unstoppable.

In the second, you are not unstoppable. I learned that lesson the hard way after charging in a few times. Got my tail handed to me...fast.

There is a rhythm to the combat in the second though, that, once you get used to it the combat is much more satisfying than the first...imho of course.

Learn to dodge.

Learn to draw individuals out of a group of enemies.

Speed will net you much better results than brute force.
Old 10-03-11, 02:14 PM   #316
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Also prepare for a battle, use potions, use signs.

Also Geralt washed his sword and armor with Triss' colours, totally ruined their stats.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 02:22 PM   #317
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

yeah I've gotten some pretty killer combos so far and they're IMMENSELY satisfying to watch unfold but the way enemies actually gang up on you (I.E. not all standing around while you take on one guy at a time) really keeps you on your toes and that one guy that comes in from behind can totally turn the fight the other way.

The guys carrying shields are a bitch to get. I don't have the patience to wait for them to draw back to strike while other guys get cheap shots in on me from the sides/back so I try to avoid them and get the unshielded guys first and then take my time with the guys with more armor/defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Also prepare for a battle, use potions, use signs.

Also Geralt washed his sword and armor with Triss' colours, totally ruined their stats.
Yeah I horded the diamond dust blade coating in the 1st game as well as swallow and ingredients for Petri's Philter to make the sign's stronger.

Not sure what you mean by washing sword/armor?

One thing I noticed while playing is that after massacring a group of soldiers, there's blood splatters all over but his sword is squeaky clean
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
Old 10-03-11, 02:25 PM   #318
grey_1

Quote:
yeah I've gotten some pretty killer combos so far and they're IMMENSELY satisfying to watch unfold but the way enemies actually gang up on you (I.E. not all standing around while you take on one guy at a time) really keeps you on your toes and that one guy that comes in from behind can totally turn the fight the other way.

The guys carrying shields are a bitch to get. I don't have the patience to wait for them to draw back to strike while other guys get cheap shots in on me from the sides/back so I try to avoid them and get the unshielded guys first and then take my time with the guys with more armor/defense.

Yeah I horded the diamond dust blade coating in the 1st game as well as swallow and ingredients for Petri's Philter to make the sign's stronger.

Not sure what you mean by washing sword/armor?

One thing I noticed while playing is that after massacring a group of soldiers, there's blood splatters all over but his sword is squeaky clean
He's being crainger
Old 10-05-11, 04:19 PM   #319
munkus
Cold nose, warm heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Everything threw me on the second one after playing the first several times

So, sooo worth it once I got used to the new control schemes though. I do still think it's stupid to have to kneel to drink a potion, other than that I love this game.
This.
munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 10:12 PM   #320
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Oh my god the swarms of Endrega coming out of the trees in Flotsam forest are absolutely slaughtering my ass.

I managed to upgrade the sword skill that lets you hit more than one enemy, take less damage getting hit from behind and the one that lets you jump farther when you're striking at an enemy from a distance. They're helping quite a bit but really, if I don't use oils on the sword along with traps and then run away a bit to throw knives/bombs at the mobs, I pretty much welcome the icy touch of death.

On the plus side, I've managed to craft a few pieces of the unique armor set that Dark Mode offers including the "Blasphemer" steel sword. If you aren't wearing the complete set of unique kingslayer's armor, it slowly drains your health if you're holding it. On the flip side, it deals around twice the damage of the superb cutlass which I was using previously.

- Server -

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012

Old 10-05-11, 10:15 PM   #321
Greedo

you're playing on dark?

good luck.
Greedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 07:01 AM   #322
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD

prepare to get owned bigtime.
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 07:32 AM   #323
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioHazZarD View Post
prepare to get owned bigtime.
oh believe me. I already am. I finally completed getting the blasphemer's armor set crafted last night. All I need is like 3 pieces of silver ore (which I'm thinking do not exist anywhere in flotsam) to craft the unique silver sword.

The steel sword though, if you're quick will mow down guys pretty easily without too much trouble but it's the hoards of monsters in the forest that are giving me trouble. That Nekker and Endrega contract may be getting put on hold until I can find some silver ore.

One thing I will say about dark mode is that all the herbs and ingredients in the forest, they're being hoarded to make potions to keep my ass alive and literally every piece of loot that gets dropped or in crates, you pretty much have to take and then sell for potions or ingredients.

It's incredibly difficult but not impossible. I'm progressing through the quests but I'm being forced to think out every fight that includes more than 2 or 3 guys. It's much more engaging than the first game that I played on normal difficulty and pretty much just sailed right through until the swamp area in the last chapter.

- Server -

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
Old 10-06-11, 09:19 AM   #324
Greedo

you can maybe buy silver ore in flotsam from a dwarf or a merchant.

i'm really enjoying the combat in 2.0, but still you can get mobbed if you don't approach the fight the right way and get owned. playing on normal, btw.

i was hoping that they would have fixed npc's slamming doors in geralt's face, but no.
Greedo is offline   Reply With Quote