Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-27-11, 02:42 PM   #1
azenz

Default AVCHD video playback hardware puzzle

Greetings,

I just upgraded my graphics card from a Geforce 8400 GS to a GT 520 1 GB, because my Ubuntu 10.04 system wasn't able to play back 1080 50p footage from my new Panasonic camcorder - video playback was extremely choppy from the original MTS video files. But to my dismay, the new card doesn't to the job, either. Now I am clueless. My system isn't that bad: a Q6600 quad core overclocked to 3 Ghz, 6 GB RAM.

I had tried it on my WinXP dual boot with the latest drivers and playback was equally choppy, so I figured the issue must be the graphics card. But now I'm not so sure any more. Moreover, the amazing thing is that the new laptop of my wife, featuring a i3-370 dual core (2.4 Ghz) with some integrated Intel graphics, CAN play it fluently, without any stuttering at all!!! Now, that is amazing. In both cases VLC player was used, on her system with Windows 7, I run 64 bit Ubuntu with the latest NVIDIA graphics driver (270.41.19). Note: 17mbps 50i playback is no problem at all. I can also play the transcoded to mp4 version of the MTS videos without problem, even when the mp4 video's bitrate is up to 150 Mbit (transcoding AVCHD with FFMPEG using the -sameq setting you can get crazy bitrates).

Now, I am lost as to what to do. Is it the CPU, or the graphics card, or what ???! I'm sure the issue is that of decoding the highly compressed AVCHD, but which bit of my computer is most responsible for that? BTW, my CPU is only being utilised around 80-100% (of 400 % of all four cores) during the very choppy MTS video playback.
azenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-11, 06:31 PM   #2
primerib

Default Re: AVCHD video playback hardware puzzle

Linux is less then stellar when it comes to AVCHD. However, try a different demuxer. I had the same problem, changing demuxers fixed it.
primerib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-11, 11:47 PM   #3
azenz

Thanks for the tip. How specifically do I change demuxers? In VLC there is a demux preference section, but I can only change the framerate there...
azenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-11, 10:12 AM   #4
primerib

I don't use vlc (mplayer-nogui here) but a quick google revealed that vlc uses its own demuxers so you may not be able to use the ones from say libavformat. Just for fun you should try mplayer since I know it does work with that.
primerib is offline   Reply With Quote