Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-11, 07:48 PM   #37
Sean_W

Default Re: hahaha goodbye consoles..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
Oh yeah? What the main purpose of a console then, rocket scientist? To check your email? Whats the main purpose of a PC? Heres a hint: Its not games.
It's a media system as well dude, not just for playing games. Are you still suck in the 90s where consoles could only play games? The main purpose of a PC can be what you want it to be.
Old 05-26-11, 08:07 PM   #38
Yaboze

I like consoles. They bring a lot of money and attention to the games industry.

I think what you don't like are the Western influence on consoles.

Back in the day consoles were all Japanese and we had great JRPG's and other games. Remember Chrono Trigger? Secret of Mana? Zelda? Xenogears?

These days games come out for the PC-ish consoles and PC alike, there's no differentiation. The model is make it once and port to several platforms instead of cranking out a single unique game.

I remember playing some awesome games on my PS1 in the late 1990's that were not on the PC and vice versa.

The decline of Japanese influence on consoles why people hate consoles these days.... (IMHO)...
Old 05-26-11, 08:54 PM   #39
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post

Harsh.
Old 05-26-11, 09:34 PM   #40
Ninja Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
It's a media system as well dude, not just for playing games. Are you still suck in the 90s where consoles could only play games? The main purpose of a PC can be what you want it to be.
Oh ok. So, since you didn't answer my question, what has been the MAIN PURPOSE of every single console ever made? Heres a clue since you seem to lack one, theres well over a billion PCs out there, you know how many are used for gaming? Less than 10%. You know how many of those sub 10% are used for actual high end gaming, as opposed to farmville and the sims? Less than half. So, we end up with less than 5% of the PC market being used for games. Hey, I wonder how many consoles are used for games? What do you think? I'm gonna guess somewhere around 99%.
Old 05-26-11, 09:49 PM   #41
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
Oh ok. So, since you didn't answer my question, what has been the MAIN PURPOSE of every single console ever made? Heres a clue since you seem to lack one, theres well over a billion PCs out there, you know how many are used for gaming? Less than 10%. You know how many of those sub 10% are used for actual high end gaming, as opposed to farmville and the sims? Less than half. So, we end up with less than 5% of the PC market being used for games. Hey, I wonder how many consoles are used for games? What do you think? I'm gonna guess somewhere around 99%.
Well, duh. But it doesn't mean PC gamers have to like it. In the end, PC gamers have different needs to consoles by the fact that they are different.
Old 05-26-11, 11:25 PM   #42
ViN86

Quote:
Well, duh. But it doesn't mean PC gamers have to like it. In the end, PC gamers have different needs to consoles by the fact that they are different.
Right they are different.

One bitches about the games and the other plays them.
Old 05-26-11, 11:51 PM   #43
jkmetal

Since march of 06 i ve had three xbox 360 consoles. First it was love in 06, then boredom at the lack of games available in late 06 when i sold it. Then in 08 i tried to get back into it but the system i brought was just too loud when playing games. Then in 09 i finally caved and brought a newer 360. Its great. All of the issues with sound have been fixed, the vga options have been greatly upgraded, the amount of great titles availble for little $$ is better than ever and the backwards compatibly covers most of what I still want to play.

The xbox live arcade rocks. The 360 has come so far from what it once was and is now something special.
Old 05-27-11, 12:10 AM   #44
General Lee

Consoles today aren't worthy of the name. The last good console was the original NES, the big one.

I still have one that works great, put away. The same goes for my Atari 2600. Ah, yes...historically great gaming.

If you don't have to blow dust out of a game cartridge, it ain't a REAL console.

Old 05-27-11, 01:33 AM   #45
jcrox
Mahna Mahna

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet View Post
Consoles to gaming are like soccer to the sports. Sure the both exists but we all know both are dumbed down so the general public with no skills can play.

Consoles are like one of those Ferrari "Kit Cars"

Yeah, they look a lot like the real thing as long as you never put it next to a real one and when you actually fire one up... it becomes quite apparent that under the hood you've still got a Mazda.

Gaming

MSI MPower Z87 | 4770k | CNPS9900MAX-B | 8GB G.Skill 1866 | EVGA GTX760 |ThermalTake 850w | X-Fi Titanium | HAF | Asus PA248Q | Lycosa | Death Adder | Win8 Pro 64

Dev/Backup

MSI GD65 | 2500k | H50 | 8GB G.skill | GTX570 | Ubuntu 13.10

Laptop

17" Inspiron | i5 | 4GB DDR3 | 500GB HDD | Win7 Pro 64

Old 05-27-11, 01:45 AM   #46
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
Anyone who questions the future of consoles in relation to the PC is an idiot. Keep dreaming that PC's will suddenly blow up again and that consoles will go the way of the dodo. If anything the more powerful consoles get, the less and less likely that PC's will even be necessary for gaming in the future.
Exactly... that's the point, but in a mixed view... PCs and consoles will merge (gaming/media-wise) and leave the PC for what it was originally envisioned for, a high-performance computing device (clouds, clusters, storage nodes, etc., etc.).

Consoles in the next 10 years from now on will have (more or less):
  • 8+ processing cores (more like... 12+, even 16)
  • 2GB+ of high-performance memory (being it DDR or XDR-derived) (probably even 4GB)
  • A powerful GPU (powerful as in a nice feature set with ample power, possibly in a smart-block fashion)
  • 1/2TB+ physical storage capacity (not necessarily SSD-like but perfectly possible)
  • No optical format support (games, movies and any other media will be offered via streaming/downloading)

Don't know why... maybe it's a hunch or call it whatever you want to call it... but I'm sure the next XBOX will offer you some kind of support for housing a Microsoft-based OS (maybe not a full-fledged Windows installation, but a mixed approach between the media crossbar and the OS), so for the next-after-the-next generation?

Take that for granted. From that moment on, no PC will be needed for gaming (it will be just... nonsense, as you will have everything inside just ONE machine with a well-defined set of specs... the console).

The rest... is easily imaginable, so I leave the 'fun' part for the console haters
Old 05-27-11, 01:46 AM   #47
sammy sung

Quote:
Because playing console games with a controller is mostly sh*t, not matter how good you think you are at FPS games.

And also, who wants to play consoles on a non HD TV now days ?
You sir are a ****ing idiot, i didn't even mention FPS games. I play my consoles on a 50 inch plasma @ 1080p when available. There's tons of games that work great with a controller, if you want to miss out on games like uncharted forza gt5 etc be my guest. When having all 3 (not counting nintendo) formats you of course play the pc versions first and foremost, i play only exclusives on my consoles and apart from halo reach none of them are fps games. I think i play more PC games than you do anyway and i spend far more money on pc games than i do on console games. Unlike you i'm not a fanboy of either format, i play games that interest me, that are fun regardless of format.
Old 05-27-11, 01:53 AM   #48
Ninja Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydianKnight View Post
Exactly... that's the point, but in a mixed view... PCs and consoles will merge (gaming/media-wise) and leave the PC for what it was originally envisioned for, a high-performance computing device (clouds, clusters, storage nodes, etc., etc.).

Consoles in the next 10 years from now on will have (more or less):
  • 8+ processing cores (more like... 12+, even 16)
  • 2GB+ of high-performance memory (being it DDR or XDR-derived) (probably even 4GB)
  • A powerful GPU (powerful as in a nice feature set with ample power, possibly in a smart-block fashion)
  • 1/2TB+ physical storage capacity (not necessarily SSD-like but perfectly possible)
  • No optical format support (games, movies and any other media will be offered via streaming/downloading)

Don't know why... maybe it's a hunch or call it whatever you want to call it... but I'm sure the next XBOX will offer you some kind of support for housing a Microsoft-based OS (maybe not a full-fledged Windows installation, but a mixed approach between the media crossbar and the OS), so for the next-after-the-next generation?

Take that for granted. From that moment on, no PC will be needed for gaming (it will be just... nonsense, as you will have everything inside just ONE machine with a well-defined set of specs... the console).

The rest... is easily imaginable, so I leave the 'fun' part for the console haters
10 years from now some kind of OnLive-type service will probably take over because the bandwidth will finally be there to make it viable and its everything publishers and most developers ever wanted, total control over their content.
Closed Thread