Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-10-02, 01:58 PM   #37
Solomon

rmannstaedt.

I remember reading the "unedited" version and it was nothing near what is up their now. Alot has been changed from the previous post which "sparked" the whole name calling and pointing fingers. I wish someone had the original un-edited version to compare to the one that is up there now to show how much has changed...

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-02, 02:24 PM   #38
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Solomon
Where is Hampshire, IL. ? Is that up north or something by Gurnee ?
Am I guessing you know Gurnee because that's where Visiontek is based?

Hampshire is much further southwest, about halfway between Rockford and the Northwest suburbs of Chicago (Schaumburg, Arlington Heights, etc). It's a bit south of I-90 and US 20.

You from the Chicago area, Solomon?
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-02, 02:29 PM   #39
Solomon

Yep, I live in a scrungee part called, Hanover Park. I live like 2 blocks from Schaumburg, so I say I'm from there because it's a better neighborhood... Hehe.

I have a few friends that live up by Lake In The Hills and Huntley.

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
Old 09-10-02, 02:43 PM   #40
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Yep, I live in a scrungee part called, Hanover Park. I live like 2 blocks from Schaumburg, so I say I'm from there because it's a better neighborhood... Hehe.
Ahh, Hangover Park. I drive through there every day to and from work. I also work for the newspaper that puts out the Roselle/Itasca/Bartlett/Hanover Park/Streamwood Press. I grew up in Bloomingdale so I know the area extremely well.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-02, 05:51 PM   #41
nihongaeri

Default Just in case anybody cares here's the sum of my correspondance with the Inquirer...

Here is the message that I sent to Mr. Magee last Friday. While I will admit to perhaps being too harsh with this first email, understand that Mr. Magee hardly seems to discourage this type of inquiry (no joke intended) as his email address is contained in a hyperlink marked “flame editor”.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 07 September 2002 02:27
To: mike.magee@theinquirer.net
Subject: If you can't read Japanese, then don't act like you do!

"A JAPANESE WEB SITE claims to have inside information that indicates Nvidia will introduce its next graphics chip technology in the first quarter of new year, so missing the hectic Yuletide selling season."

This was quoted from one of your articles, and I assume that "a Japanese web site" refers to PCWatch as linked to later in the article. The problem is that this quoted statement in COMPLETELY inaccurate. I read through the linked Japanese article (I have been studying Japanese for 8 years now and have spent 2 and a half of those in Japan) and the part where the author talks of the NV30 becoming available in February in completely SPECULATIVE. At no point does he claim "to have inside information that indicates Nvidia will introduce its next graphics chip technology in the first quarter of new year".

I cannot tell you how displeased I am with this article. If you are going to be reporting rumors, that is one thing, but at LEAST you should be quoting your sources correctly and not be putting words in their mouth. If you read this and are able to acknowledge that you have made a mistake, I expect you to issue a correction and apology to your reading public as soon as possible, as you have reported completely inaccurate information. If you would so need, I would be willing to translate select portions of the Japanese article in order to show your mistake to you, however I would require an amount of time, as things don't just translate themselves.

Nicholas Craig

To this email, Mr. Magee replies as follows.

Sent: Friday, September 06, 2002 10:24 PM
To: bobcraig4@attbi.com
Cc: paul.hales@theinquirer.net
Subject: RE: If you can't read Japanese, then don't act like you do!

I really don't know what you're driving at. All the necessary sources are there for you to sort. Including Mr Nvidia himself.

Mike Magee

I think it’s interesting to note that a Cc of this mail got fired off to another member of the Inquirer. I obviously solicited some kind of interest in Mr. Magee, although it doesn’t quite appear to be journalistic interest.

At any rate, I don’t see how I had not made it sufficiently clear what I was “driving at”, nor do I see why the quote from “Mr. Nvidia” is relevant to the problem that I had pointed out, however I did have to admit a marginal lack of observation on my part. As such, I sent the next email off.

Sent: 07 September 2002 06:54
To: Mike Magee
Subject: One apology and one big question

I must apologize, as I did not read you article carefully enough. I did not clearly understand that your translation source was not you yourself, nor can I, even now, tell with any degree of accuracy what the "Japanese web site" you refer to actually is (see quote written below taken the article in question). I would like to state that I am still running under the assumption that the "Japanese web site" is indeed "PC Watch" a.k.a. Impress. Furthermore, if my assumption is correct (I must assume as you to not state explicitly what this 'Japanese web site' is) the fact still remains that the quote in question is completely inaccurate. If it is not to much, would you please confirm or deny my assumption? The content of my potential future emails will vary greatly based upon this your confirmation or denial.

Not to toot my own horn, but I do think this is a fairly levelheaded response. I have in this email, as can clearly be seen, laid out a very clear, not to mention simple, question for Mr. Magee to answer for me. I certainly expected for him to answer it, but...

Sent: Saturday, September 07, 2002 4:18 PM
To: bobcraig4@attbi.com
Subject: RE: One apology and one big question

The article was based on three other articles which were complete speculation and indeed it was kind of obvious from the contents we didn't
think much of the rumours either...

In other words, no hard evidence to suggest they were right

Mike

Make no mistake, I have no problem admitting that the just of the Inquirer article was more or less where it should have been. It did seem to come to the conclusion that the articles on the linked sites were speculation. However, that much I felt to be obvious. There were “three other articles” linked to in the said Inquirer article. The German one, I cannot read, and thus cannot comment on. The sited information on VR Zone was, in actuality, misinterpreted information from PC Watch. And lastly, the PC Watch article was, as the author functionally professes to it, obviously speculation, as anybody who can read it can see clearly (translation: home.attbi.com/~bobcraig4/kaigai01_-_translation.htm). To be quite straight, I don’t need someone like the Inquirer to tell me that the said linked sites contain speculation.

MUCH more importantly, Mr. Magee seems to have missed the whole point as to why I sent him an email in the first place. It was because of one simple quote, one simple sentence. I thought I had made that clear by starting out my first email with the quote, but appeartlly it didn’t quite fulfill the requirements of Inquirer-level obvious. Here is a reproduction of the quote still yet once again for another time (how’s that for redundancy?).

"A JAPANESE WEB SITE claims to have inside information that indicates Nvidia will introduce its next graphics chip technology in the first quarter of new year, so missing the hectic Yuletide selling season."

I take issue with this quote, and nothing else. Nonetheless, Mr. Magee seems it necessary to defend nothing but the just of the article, nothing but the conclusion. It boggles my mind as to why Mr. Magee would not understand such a seemingly simple problem.

At any rate, I sent this next email in reply.

Sent: Saturday, September 07, 2002 4:45 PM
To: Mike Magee
Subject: Follow-up pertaining to PC Watch NV30 article

While you seem to have chosen not to respond to my previous email, I am sending you this email to make you aware that I have finished my translation of the PC Watch article which you reported on yesterday. It can be viewed at http://home.attbi.com/~bobcraig4/kai...anslation.htm. Note that your browser will have to be set to SHIFT-JIS Japanese text encoding in order to properly view this translation. I you read through the translation carefully though, I am sure that you will easily see the mistakes of your article published yesterday.

I received no reply that day or the next. There was however, an article written by a Paul Hales posted yesterday which touched on the issue, an article called “Rednecks, lies and hardware fakes”, nonetheless. I wonder if any of those three ‘insults’ were directed at me...

Anyhow, here the quote which pertains to me...

Some guy called Bob Craig wrote to us to say his Japanese was better than ours. Not hard that one. He objected to the story here and particularly to the phrase "inside information". The information we referred to was in a graphic of a roadmap. We replied to his email, entitled, by the way, "If you can't read Japanese, then don't act like you do!" pointing at the sources quoted in the piece. But in the meantime Mr Craig fired off his missive to anyone who'd listen, it seems, and a right handsome gang of fellows lined up to take a pop at us...

So what can I say? The Inquirer has obviously skirted around the issue that I posed to them in the first place, and feels it more important to take jabs at me than to investigate the accuracy of their articles. Go figure.

I still, nonetheless, sent them this reply in response to their article, trying my best not to lose my cool.

Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 8:10 AM
To: mike.magee@theinquirer.net
Subject: Pertaining to the incorrect paraphrasing of the PC Watch
article...

Well, I seem to have at least caught your attention with what I did over the weekend. I would ask that we try to avoid any kind of personal war from this point on, if that is possible. Is it?

At any rate, I would have treated you much differently, and probably think of you differently now, if you would have simply told me that your interpretation of the PC Watch article was based on its graphs. However, even with this insight, it does not change the fact that your interpretation of the article, or rather its graph, was incorrect. If you would look closely at the graph that you based your statement on, you will notice that the box representing the NV30 is placed such that it is still partially inside the year 2002. Likewise, if you have read my translation of the article (http://home.attbi.com/~bobcraig4/kai...ranslation.htm), I am sure you have been made even more clear that your paraphrasing of the article is not correct.

I can see how someone could take the graph as indicating the presence of 'inside information', however I do not believe that the graph in and of itself is sufficient to say that PC Watch 'claims to have inside information'. That came off on me as being a fabrication when I read it. I can also see how someone, particularly if that someone were to have poor eyesight (not that you do), could misinterpret the said graph as being one that "indicates Nvidia will introduce its next graphics chip technology in the first quarter of new year", however, in light of what I have told you it should be apparent that this interpretation is incorrect.

Lastly, as you seem to have felt it necessary to bring it up in a Monday article, I will admit that perhaps my first email to you was a bit over the top. I suppose the only excuse I can make is that I was prompted by the "flame editor" hyperlink that clicked before sending it. But surely you must be used to things like that by now?

Oh, and just for the record, my name is Nick Craig, not Bob Craig, who happens to be my dad. Hopefully misunderstandings like that won't occur anymore once I'm able to amass enough money to move into an apartment of my own this term, but, as I'm sure you can imagine, college student isn't exactly the most profitable existences to hold on this planet.

Truly,

Nick Craig

So, do I expect them to respond to my email? Not really. If they are so ignorant as to not be able to understand the problem I presented in the first place, I suppose they have already labeled me as a ‘loony’ in their minds. If they have noticed their mistake, then, outside of completely ignoring the issue, they have no other path to take than to concede to my case, thus humiliating themselves to some degree in the process.

I personally am not one to gloat though. If they are willing to swallow their pride and admit some kind of fault on their end, I am more than willing to forgive them, and give them the respect they would deserve for doing so, as truly admitting to fault can one of the hardest things a human can do.

But personally, based on what I know of the Inquirer and Mr. Magee, I suspect that pride will get the best of them. Quite a shame really.
nihongaeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-02, 06:02 PM   #42
Solomon

What a joke his response is. As always they take NO RESPONSIBILITY OF THEIR ACTIONS. Just simply re-edit and stick with the new story. Sad...

Quote:
The article was based on three other articles which were complete speculation and indeed it was kind of obvious from the contents we didn't
Like I said, I would LOVE to see the original post, because they made no statement that this was rather, "opinionated and rumor based" at all. If they did, Then Briefing.com would have never quoted such a thing.

I guess that is just a typical response from Mr. Magoo. Don't you love the power of "EDIT!". I guess that's typical in the world of the grocery store check out line news.

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
Old 09-10-02, 06:03 PM   #43
nihongaeri

Default rmannstaedt...

I likewise find respect in anyone who is honestly willing to see another persons point of view. Cheers to you

I seem to concur with you fully. I make no issue of the Inquirer’s overall conclusion in the said article. I only take issue with one sentence. I would also note, that the reason that I got drawn into this thing in the first place was because Nvnews had reported that briefing.com (I believe) had reported that the Inquirer had “reported” that PC Watched “claimed” something. Mind you, the only thing that was reported on briefing.com was the content of the sentence that I took issue with. At any rate, I analyzed the situation, found fault, and determined that that fault lied with the Inquirer. I’m not sure yet to what effect my efforts have actually been.

I guess this is just a lesson to us all of how rumors can get started.

Anyway, but of luck to you,

Nick
nihongaeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-02, 07:24 PM   #44
StealthHawk

the people who run the Inquirer are all egomaniacs who can't take criticism or admit they're wrong. whenever someone calls them out(on the reliability of their reporting) they always blow a fuse and insult said critics...in a new article!?

pulling stunts like that is nothing but childish, especially on a "news site."

Old 09-10-02, 08:23 PM   #45
volt

smartasses that's all...
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-02, 02:19 PM   #46
volt

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=5343

go to the middle of the page.
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
Old 09-11-02, 02:23 PM   #47
Solomon

LOL!! Yeah all 2 of their reader base that came here to report back to their camp to say we don't like their pathetic attempts at making news post.

The InQuirer is truly one of the biggest Egotistic sites out there. This Paul Hales needs to be taken out back and shot. (I'm waiting for them to quote this so they think I'm serious about the last statement)

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
Old 09-11-02, 02:31 PM   #48
volt

Quote:
LOL!! Yeah all 2 of their reader base that came here to report back to their camp to say we don't like their pathetic attempts at making news post.

The InQuirer is truly one of the biggest Egotistic sites out there. This Paul Hales needs to be taken out back and shot. (I'm waiting for them to quote this so they think I'm serious about the last statement)

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
Hahah...I wonder how many trolls registered just to post/report back hahah.

Inq: is there any chance you can mention me in your article? Or should I reveal more truth about your "news posting process"