Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-11-11, 02:29 AM   #13
toddbailey

Default Re: Fedora 15: GNOME3 gnome-shell + nvidia drivers => black windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by pijulius View Post
The same happens to me on Fedora 15 but it seems this has nothing to do with the OS or Xorg you use, it is a problem in the new 7XX drivers.

Video card is: GeForce 7300 LE
Driver: NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-270.41.19.run
Kernel: 2.6.38.6-27.fc15.x86_64

and when you run or compiz, or mutter the windows will start getting blacks or if you have two monitors (like me) you won't even see black windows, simply the screen isn't refreshing at all BUT in the background you can move around windows and open new programs as the mouse works and you can see how the cursor changes when you hover over a terminal window so everything works in the background but nothing gets displayed.

I searched around and it seems this bug doesn't exist in the 260 nvidia drivers but unfortunately that cannot be installed on FC5 but I will try further to see if maybe with an older kernel it could be done.

I really hope the 270 drivers will be updated to fix this bug as otherwise in the future we may loose all possibilities to run the drivers with new OS releases.

I think this is the right topic for this bug:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=160115
Why not just install the 260 drivers and be happy it works? with the card being so old, there is little if anything to gain by running the newest driver release.
toddbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-11, 09:44 PM   #14
alphur

does the bug still appear for the 280 beta?
alphur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-11, 01:38 AM   #15
pijulius

Where did you get the 280beta driver? I only see 275.0907 as the newest and with that the problem still exists.

To toddbailey: the reason why we would like a new driver (or have the 260 work with xorg 1.10) is for e.g. because with the newest xorg you can use xinerama with composite but with older ones 1.9 (for which 260 driver works) cannot do that so that's an example why it would be good to have an updated driver, and I'm sure there are more.
pijulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-11, 02:05 AM   #16
Deanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pijulius View Post
Where did you get the 280beta driver? I only see 275.0907 as the newest and with that the problem still exists.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show....php?p=2451505
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-11, 05:43 AM   #17
pijulius

Thanks Deanjo! unfortunately the 280.04 isn't working either. The same problem is happening, X starts up, gnome loads and then everything freezes, the mouse/keyboard is still working but nothing gets refreshed on the screen and if you switch to console and back to X everything is black.
pijulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-11, 02:12 PM   #18
alphur

nope, 280 still has the problem
Old 07-20-11, 09:50 AM   #19
bjz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandipt View Post
NVIDIA reproduced "Black Windows" issue in gnome-shell . Will keep you posted.
Anything new regarding this bug? I believe I have similar problem with F15+Gnome 3 on GeForce 6200 TuboCache with 275.0907 nvidia driver installed. More information here: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=267150

Quote:
I decided recently to try a new Fedora (15) on my desktop computer with old GF6200 TurboCache (64MB physical memory). Installation was pretty easy, however the screen was full of artifacts on default driver. Therefore installed nvidia drivers following this guide http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=204752. It seemed to be working... until I opened more than 5/6 windows - every new window was appearing black. Resizing the window helps but it looks like the total display area is limited (memory problem?) - I can downsize the visible windows to give more resources for the new one. Played with nvidia-config for some time without any luck. Google showed me I was not alone with this problem - https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=119478. However no solution is apparently available yet.
bjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-11, 08:06 AM   #20
iro

Hello NVIDIA people, any news on this bug? I'd really like to use gnome shell on my laptop.
iro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-11, 05:29 AM   #21
trace42

Default Same problem in Kubuntu

Edit: SOLVED (for me), my black windows disappeared when I increased shared video memory from 64Mb to 256Mb (didn't try anything in between). Knocking on wood...

I have the same problem in Kubuntu. Some of my windows are sometimes most of the time black. Some kind of refresh brings them content. The black windows are "active", I can click on buttons etc. in them. But it is a bit of shooting in the dark... Everything seems to be there, it is just black or not updated. Any help would be greatly appreciated, the open source driver was a bit sluggish and resource hungry.

I currently have a rekonq window that is black, but shows status updates for pages it fetches. It also showed the location field when I pressed ctrl-l and started writing. But the rest of the page is black. And the address field disappears when I load the URL.

In Firefox I once had the effect of the page not showing updates for graphics, but some interactive text changed on mouse overs.

My menu (the "K" in the status bar) does show up sporadically when clicking it. Currently it only blurs the background for the menu and the menu is not visible. Now I just had it working and now it's not working again...

I installed the nVidia driver form the Additional drivers app/window and chose the "NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version current) [Recommended]". It required a reboot and now the light next to it has turned green. But at the bottom of the dialog (next to another green light) it says "This driver is activated but not currently in use."

Changing to a text console (Ctrl-Alt-Fn) sometimes shows a short moment of gibberish on the screen and sometimes just a blank screen and sometimes gives the text console. Changing back to X11 works after a few retries with a black screen.

I'm running Kubuntu 11.04 on a Abit AN-M2HD(MCP68) motherboard with integrated graphics.
$ sudo lshw -C video
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: C68 [GeForce 7050 PV / nForce 630a]
vendor: nVidia Corporation
physical id: 12
bus info: pci@0000:00:12.0
version: a2
width: 64 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: pm msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
resources: irq:20 memory:fb000000-fbffffff memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:fc000000-fcffffff memory:80000000-8001ffff

Just ask and I'll try to provide more help.
trace42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 02:33 PM   #22
iro

290.10 released with this fix:
Quote:
Fixed a regression that caused blank/white windows when exhausting video memory on GeForce 6 and 7 series GPUs while using composited desktops.
Someone care to test? I'll wait for the fedora package
iro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 03:21 PM   #23
epithumia
urk

Quote:
Originally Posted by iro View Post
Someone care to test? I'll wait for the fedora package
I can easily build new Fedora packages, but partly due to this bug I've already gotten rid of all of my hardware that had this problem so testing is difficult. Maybe I could pull something out of storage.
epithumia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-11, 08:48 PM   #24
alphur

how do i increase the shared video memory? i have yet to try 290.10.