Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-01-11, 04:46 PM   #1
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Got my wife an iPhone 4

And I'm extremely jealous. I didn't realize how awesome this phone was until I got to set it up for her earlier this afternoon and got to mess around with it. I know that most of you guys hate Apple and the iPhone, but I honestly think it's a darn awesome phone. Hardware is solid and comfortable. The software runs incredibly fast and smooth no matter what you are doing.

I know, I know . . . "No widgets, no customization, no real multi-tasking . . . " But honestly, after having an OG Droid 1 for over a year, rooting it and constantly trying to get it to run it's best, I'm getting real sick and tired of having to mess with it. I'd almost rather have a phone that I can set and forget.

My upgrade date is in December (I let my wife have mine today) so you can bet that I'll be eyeing the iPhone 4, maybe even the iPhone 5 if it's out by then.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 04:54 PM   #2
Maverick123w
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,841
Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w
Default Re: Got my wife an iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
And I'm extremely jealous. I didn't realize how awesome this phone was until I got to set it up for her earlier this afternoon and got to mess around with it. I know that most of you guys hate Apple and the iPhone, but I honestly think it's a darn awesome phone. Hardware is solid and comfortable. The software runs incredibly fast and smooth no matter what you are doing.

I know, I know . . . "No widgets, no customization, no real multi-tasking . . . " But honestly, after having an OG Droid 1 for over a year, rooting it and constantly trying to get it to run it's best, I'm getting real sick and tired of having to mess with it. I'd almost rather have a phone that I can set and forget.

My upgrade date is in December (I let my wife have mine today) so you can bet that I'll be eyeing the iPhone 4, maybe even the iPhone 5 if it's out by then.
I sold my Droid X and bought my wife an iPhone 4 a couple of months ago myself. For the first few weeks I really enjoyed it, but I've soured on the platform since. There are so many things about iOS that it gets right, but the things it gets wrong it gets really wrong.

I hate the notification system, to change any setting on the phone seems to take going through too many menus, like turning on wifi and picking a network when Android just notifies you in the notification bar.

I also don't like not having an app drawer and how it defaults to annoying the piss out of you whenever you're near a wifi network.

Amazing hardware however, but I don't like the feel in my hand. I think the last iteration was significantly more comfortable to hold.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 05:26 PM   #3
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default

Jailbreak the phone and use SBSettings. It eliminates the 100 menus you have to navigate to complete simple tasks like turning on the wireless.

I just got an ipod 4g and it has the A4 and a retina display as well (although it's not an IPS panel like the iPhone 4) and I really like it. But as was said, the notifications and lack of widgets eliminate the iPhone 4 as an option for me.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 05:27 PM   #4
Runningman
Registered User
 
Runningman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 925
Default Re: Got my wife an iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post

I hate the notification system, to change any setting on the phone seems to take going through too many menus, like turning on wifi and picking a network when Android just notifies you in the notification bar.

I also don't like not having an app drawer and how it defaults to annoying the piss out of you whenever you're near a wifi network.
Thats why so many people, including myself, Jailbreak the phones. Ive installed something called sbssettings which addresses these issues. look at what Vin86 has posted about it, pretty much sums it up.
http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthre...63#post2439363

I agree with your observation, that out of the box, the phone is really hard to work with, with regards to how deep you have togo in the menu system.
Runningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 05:47 PM   #5
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Got my wife an iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Jailbreak the phone and use SBSettings. It eliminates the 100 menus you have to navigate to complete simple tasks like turning on the wireless.

I just got an ipod 4g and it has the A4 and a retina display as well (although it's not an IPS panel like the iPhone 4) and I really like it. But as was said, the notifications and lack of widgets eliminate the iPhone 4 as an option for me.
I won't be touching my wife's phone as far as jailbreaking. There's no need to as it's perfect for her. She's been sitting here telling me how much better her iPhone is compared to her OG Droid lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningman View Post
Thats why so many people, including myself, Jailbreak the phones. Ive installed something called sbssettings which addresses these issues. look at what Vin86 has posted about it, pretty much sums it up.
http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthre...63#post2439363

I agree with your observation, that out of the box, the phone is really hard to work with, with regards to how deep you have togo in the menu system.
Hard to work with? I don't understand. I never really ran widgets on my Android as it slows it down IMO so I'm used to going into Settings and turning Wifi on from there. Same steps are applied when using an iPhone. Easy.

As for notifications, I can see that. But it's not as gut wrenching as everyone puts it out to be. My wife already used the Android app "SMS Popup" and the iPhone does the exact same thing out of the box.

Just for the fact that phone responds when you tap on something, I'll trade the notification system in for that any day of the week. Poor OG Droid is getting bashed today.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 06:08 PM   #6
Maverick123w
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,841
Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w
Default Re: Got my wife an iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningman View Post
Thats why so many people, including myself, Jailbreak the phones. Ive installed something called sbssettings which addresses these issues. look at what Vin86 has posted about it, pretty much sums it up.
http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthre...63#post2439363

I agree with your observation, that out of the box, the phone is really hard to work with, with regards to how deep you have togo in the menu system.
I've done the rooting thing before and sometimes I just feel like it's more trouble than it's worth. I'm interested in seeing what they have in store for iOS 5. iOS seems to be getting long in the tooth imo.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 06:22 PM   #7
Runningman
Registered User
 
Runningman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 925
Default Re: Got my wife an iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
I won't be touching my wife's phone as far as jailbreaking. There's no need to as it's perfect for her. She's been sitting here telling me how much better her iPhone is compared to her OG Droid lol.



Hard to work with? I don't understand. I never really ran widgets on my Android as it slows it down IMO so I'm used to going into Settings and turning Wifi on from there. Same steps are applied when using an iPhone. Easy.
More like a PITA, to keep going back into the menu system to turn stuff on and off. You will see what I mean once you have SBS installed. Once swipe and a click, your done.
Runningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 06:24 PM   #8
Runningman
Registered User
 
Runningman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 925
Default Re: Got my wife an iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
I've done the rooting thing before and sometimes I just feel like it's more trouble than it's worth. I'm interested in seeing what they have in store for iOS 5. iOS seems to be getting long in the tooth imo.
It's only ever taken me 5 minutes to jailbreak my phone, I don't know the process on Android, if thats what your referring to when you say "rooting".
Runningman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-11, 06:31 PM   #9
Airbrushkid
 
Airbrushkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,421
Default Re: Got my wife an iPhone 4

I love mine. I don't need to go in every second and turn things on and off like some of you. Won't jailbreak it. Been there and done that with my 3G and it was just a waste to me. Battery life suck when jailbroke. The phone does what it was suppose to do and I'm happy with it.
__________________
Intel Q9550 l eVGA NForce 780i SLI FTW l 2 Palit GTX 560 Ti 2 GB SLI l Corsair Dominator 8 gig PC2-8500 l 2 - Intel X-25M 80 gb SSD Raid 0 l WD 1 -2TB & 2 -1TB l On board sound l Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1200 1200W l Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit l 3 X Dell E248WFP 24" Monitors
Airbrushkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 06:34 PM   #10
Airbrushkid
 
Airbrushkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,421
Default Re: Got my wife an iPhone 4

As for the Android phones. I don't see why you need to jailbreak them the way the Android people act.
__________________
Intel Q9550 l eVGA NForce 780i SLI FTW l 2 Palit GTX 560 Ti 2 GB SLI l Corsair Dominator 8 gig PC2-8500 l 2 - Intel X-25M 80 gb SSD Raid 0 l WD 1 -2TB & 2 -1TB l On board sound l Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1200 1200W l Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit l 3 X Dell E248WFP 24" Monitors
Airbrushkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 06:46 PM   #11
mojoman0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Posts: 3,566
Default Re: Got my wife an iPhone 4

iphone 5 likely out by september or so, little late on their yearly releases. however, theres a big revamp coming to iOS so widgets may be in your near future
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 10:51 PM   #12
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Got my wife an iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningman View Post
It's only ever taken me 5 minutes to jailbreak my phone, I don't know the process on Android, if thats what your referring to when you say "rooting".
Took me about 2 minutes to root my Droid X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbrushkid View Post
As for the Android phones. I don't see why you need to jailbreak them the way the Android people act.
Rooted permissions let you do things you can't normally. For example, Titanium backup requires root and can backup any app and its settings. So if I update my phone or wipe it, I can recover the app and all the settings I entered. WiFi Tether requires root as well. It turns my Droid X into a wireless hotspot with WPA2 security that multiple people can connect to. And, I don't have to pay a dime extra for tethering. That's what rooting can do.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.