Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-01-11, 10:20 PM   #13
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Got my wife an iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
I've done the rooting thing before and sometimes I just feel like it's more trouble than it's worth. I'm interested in seeing what they have in store for iOS 5. iOS seems to be getting long in the tooth imo.
This. I've tried about every ROM and kernel possible but they all pretty much do the same thing; there is rarely any real benefit on one over the other. Same thing for jailbreaking. I did it on my older iPod Touch and it really didn't do anything a stock iPod Touch couldn't really do. When I get my iPhone, I won't jailbreak it unless there is a good reason to.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 10:26 PM   #14
arioch21
Vengeful Blades

I love my iphone 4, I just like how well optimized everything is and the apps. I do miss certain things from android mostly the notifications system, sometimes I miss the widgets. I dont miss trying different roots and optimizing the phone, can be fun to customize the phone and make it personal but sometimes I just want my stuff to work well and go I get lazy . My co-workers have androids and they love it but they hate the battery life, they have spent so much on trying different batteries and extended battery cases which is a put off to try the current android phones tho the galaxy s2 is a sexy beast and im tempted to check it out on next upgrade but it depends on what ios5 brings.
Old 06-02-11, 09:19 AM   #15
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
This. I've tried about every ROM and kernel possible but they all pretty much do the same thing; there is rarely any real benefit on one over the other. Same thing for jailbreaking. I did it on my older iPod Touch and it really didn't do anything a stock iPod Touch couldn't really do. When I get my iPhone, I won't jailbreak it unless there is a good reason to.
Then you didn't explore the capabilities. I refuse to use an non-jailbroken device. That's actually why my old iPod was still running iOS4.1. I didn't update to 4.3.3 until I knew there was an untethered jailbreak available.

I can use SSH, VNC, terminal, and more on my device. It can also run Python. I can login and transfer files to it remotely then retrieve them later. Jailbreaking turns the device into essentially a linux machine in your palm.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 09:58 AM   #16
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Then you didn't explore the capabilities. I refuse to use an non-jailbroken device. That's actually why my old iPod was still running iOS4.1. I didn't update to 4.3.3 until I knew there was an untethered jailbreak available.

I can use SSH, VNC, terminal, and more on my device. It can also run Python. I can login and transfer files to it remotely then retrieve them later. Jailbreaking turns the device into essentially a linux machine in your palm.
For me, I wouldn't have any need to do any of that stuff on my iPod/iPhone. I'm kinda getting tired of the "tinkering" with my electronics and would just rather them work right. Rooting my android device did fix some things but it's not worth testing hundreds of ROMs and Kernels for it. Rooting and applying one custom ROM is enough IMO. But again, this is just me.
Old 06-02-11, 10:39 AM   #17
Bearclaw

Ya, depends who you are. Personally, for me I love the iPhone because it just works out of the box. I don't want to load different ROMs, etc.
Old 06-02-11, 10:43 AM   #18
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
Ya, depends who you are. Personally, for me I love the iPhone because it just works out of the box. I don't want to load different ROMs, etc.
That's why I love the android. I get the choice of how I want to personalize my phone. I had an iPhone, and I was happy to move to the android.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 11:05 AM   #19
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
That's why I love the android. I get the choice of how I want to personalize my phone. I had an iPhone, and I was happy to move to the android.
Exactly. Some want the ability to customize. Some just want ease of use
Old 06-02-11, 09:24 PM   #20
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
For me, I wouldn't have any need to do any of that stuff on my iPod/iPhone. I'm kinda getting tired of the "tinkering" with my electronics and would just rather them work right. Rooting my android device did fix some things but it's not worth testing hundreds of ROMs and Kernels for it. Rooting and applying one custom ROM is enough IMO. But again, this is just me.
If you wouldn't tinker, and try every ROM available to man, it WOULD work right. My EVO 4G just "works". Why? It's still stock.

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-11, 03:07 PM   #21
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
I just hate how Android runs like crap. Sure My Droid X loaded a webpage 3 seconds faster than my wife's iphone but it certainly wasn't as smooth and would hitch constantly.

Once I rooted it and loaded a rom it got better, but I honestly don't want to deal with that. It's not my gaming computer that I love to screw with, my phone is a necessity and I need it to just work.

I'm considering an iPhone, along with Win Phone 7 especially if iOS 5 brings about the needed changes.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-11, 05:11 PM   #22
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
If you wouldn't tinker, and try every ROM available to man, it WOULD work right. My EVO 4G just "works". Why? It's still stock.
Haha, a stock Motorola Droid with Froyo is a paperweight at best. I remember upgrading to Froyo and about gave up on Android all together; it was SO slow and clunky. With a custom Froyo ROM, it's much better but still no where near as smooth as an iPhone 4. Heck, tons of people I work with have Evo 4Gs and they are ok as stock. Battery life is horrible so they have to keep them plugged up constantly. No thanks.
Old 06-03-11, 05:14 PM   #23
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
I just hate how Android runs like crap. Sure My Droid X loaded a webpage 3 seconds faster than my wife's iphone but it certainly wasn't as smooth and would hitch constantly.

Once I rooted it and loaded a rom it got better, but I honestly don't want to deal with that. It's not my gaming computer that I love to screw with, my phone is a necessity and I need it to just work.

I'm considering an iPhone, along with Win Phone 7 especially if iOS 5 brings about the needed changes.
This. I hate my phone just not working like I know it should. Battery life gets worse every month and it's just not smooth. I'm constantly having to check memory usage, manually close apps, etc. I shouldn't have to do that with my phone! The phone should give me a good, stable, smooth experience out of the box. I just want it to work. Hence, I'm getting an iPhone in 6 months. I know that it's a smooth OS, great hardware and IMO the best app store available. Android's app store? Pssh. I'm not a fan anymore.
Old 06-03-11, 05:46 PM   #24
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

I may get an iPhone or Windows phone. Who knows. My D1 is fine for now and i'm too frugal/lazy/uninterested in anything else right now. Then again, yours is busted anyway!
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote