Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-20-11, 11:46 AM   #121
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Nintendo Wiiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan View Post
nico is a physician and knows business. stfu.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 12:32 PM   #122
nicorulez

I have been edited because I don't know how to talk to people in public. Eventually, I will go back to my bridge and play with my dolls.

Last edited by DiscipleDOC; 06-22-11 at 09:10 AM.
nicorulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 12:44 PM   #123
Zelda_fan

**Edited by DD**

Last edited by DiscipleDOC; 06-22-11 at 09:00 AM.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 12:51 PM   #124
Zelda_fan

There is a concept in this world called "diminishing returns." It applies directly to new generations of video game consoles. You seem to think that adding truck loads of processing horsepower is going to magically make the games look better. Graphics on a game are only as good as the artists that create the models. From PS1->PS2->PS3 you saw a dramatic leap in visual quality because the 3D models that the artists created were a lot more complicated and detailed than what the hardware could render in real time. That gap is growing VERY small now a days, and the bottle neck isn't so much computer horsepower as it is the talent of the artist. This is why a game like Skyrim looks marginally better than Oblivion + mods.

And I had to lol when you said that "in 20 years we'll have reality." Maybe in 20 years we'll have the horsepower to render reality in real time, but who's going to draw the art? Look at some of the greatest artists of all time like Da Vinci and Michelangelo - you know how long it took them to carve their sculptures or paint their pictures? And these were the greatest artists that ever lived. Now multiply that amount of time by about 200 and you'll get an idea at the length of time it'll take to create assets for a fairly tiny gameworld.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 01:05 PM   #125
Ninja Prime

Here is a great example of diminishing returns: http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/09/...el-comparison/

The CG model at the end is probably using more 100x the processing power of the PS3 model in the middle, at the very least we know its using 26.5 times the polygons. Not much difference, hell if it was in game and not a stock pic against a blank background you couldn't even tell probably. Too bad it doesn't have a 500 poly PSX model in there too for comparison, that would be interesting.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 01:21 PM   #126
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

**snipped by DD**
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicorulez
If it was so powerful and completely blew the doors off of the PS3 or XB360 they would have bellowed it from the bleachers.
I've never known Nintendo to discuss its hardware in relation to its competitors in any public forum.
Quote:
No, they are a company that knows how to make a profit. Why use relatively high end, cuting edge tech when you can get one or two generations removed at a cheap rate. Every site has stated the power may be either equivalent to the current rigs or at best 2-3 times as powerful. It is weak. A decent laptop would crush it.
Neither you nor anybody else save the team at Nintendo which is building the system has any idea about the specific capabilities of the Wii U's hardware. This is pure conjecture, which you are stating as fact. This is a very rude and dishonest way of speaking as it insults everyone's intelligence, and is embarrassing to read.

Quote:
When 2014 rolls around it will be really weak. However, toddlers like you can stand in line and play WiiU sports. Only fools can state that graphics fidelity does not mean anything.
Graphics fidelity is important, definitely, but as Zelda mentions it is the quality of the artwork that holds back most games these days. For example, Uncharted 2, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, and Crysis 2 (on X-Box 360) are some console games I've played recently that give any recent PC games a run for their money in terms of sheer eye candy. Maybe they are displayed in 1280x720 resolution, maybe there is no AA or AF, etc., but I still caught myself stopping and just admiring the sheer talent that went into creating these game worlds.

The current generation of consoles, with their ancient hardware, are capable of producing jaw-dropping visuals even today. It's probably true that PC gaming has been held back by the limitations of console technology due to multi-platform development, but even despite this there has been very little advancement in PC hardware and software recently. The truth is we are hitting the limit of what is possible performance-wise with current semiconductor technology.

I'm sure the Wii U will be competitive with current-generation systems at the very least. And frankly that's just fine with me. Current-gen systems look fantastic.

Quote:
You have to be one of the most annoying, uneducated, puerile (look it up) individuals on this board .
Puerile is exactly how I would describe this comment.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410

Last edited by DiscipleDOC; 06-22-11 at 09:01 AM.
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11, 05:22 PM   #127
nicorulez

I have been edited because I don't know how to talk to people in public. Eventually, I will go back to my bridge and play with my dolls.
Old 06-21-11, 08:33 PM   #128
Ninja Prime

**Edited by DD**

Old 06-21-11, 08:49 PM   #129
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
Theres 88 million people basking in their old tech called the Wii right now, it won the current gen of consoles, chances are pretty good for it to happen again.
There are 70 million people owning the Wii... wouldn't say their basking in it though. It has the lowest software attach rate worldwide and I bet I am not the only one who owns one (technically 2 if you count my gfs) and hasn't turned it on in over 6 months.
Old 06-21-11, 09:24 PM   #130
Ninja Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
There are 70 million people owning the Wii... wouldn't say their basking in it though. It has the lowest software attach rate worldwide and I bet I am not the only one who owns one (technically 2 if you count my gfs) and hasn't turned it on in over 6 months.
Orly?

http://www.vgchartz.com/

Right there, 87.2 million, last month, not including this month, almost 200k sold in the first week and a half of june. About 88 million by the end of the month.

Attach rate you say?

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly.php

Note the total says bars on the right side, Wii has almost exactly the same tie ratio as PS3, I guess PS3s ratio sucks too, but they have 38 million more consoles. Note that the Wiis total software sales are almost double the PS3s. Note that it is better than every other console on there except the 360, yeah its kicking both PS3s and Wiis ass in attach rate, but its by no means "lowest attach rate/sony propaganda zomg!11oneone!"

Yep, its looking terrible for Nintendo and the Wii, they better quit now before they drown in piles of cash that touch the sky.
Old 06-21-11, 09:37 PM   #131
|MaguS|

HAHAHAHA

You are really going off vgchartz?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 06-21-11, 10:48 PM   #132
nicorulez