Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-09-11, 11:04 PM   #13
Hogrider

Default Re: Office 2010 Professional Academic $79.95

Yep, there was a trail version of Office 2010 installed on my wife's touch PC so I entered the code and it activated.
Old 07-10-11, 08:29 PM   #14
Rakeesh

Oh and speak of that, you're allowed to have this installed on two PC's in this edition of office 2010, namely, you can install it on your normal PC and you can also install it on your laptop (or other portable device, as per whats spelled out in the license.)

And from what I gather, they don't mind if you have multiple copies on the same PC either if you e.g. dual boot.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 08:47 PM   #15
Hogrider

Hmm I didn't know about that. I just saw it in the licenseing. I wouldn't mind putting it on this desktop computer but it is already on my wife's HP all in one touch screen desktop computer. I wonder how they know if it is on a portable device or not.
Old 07-10-11, 09:17 PM   #16
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogrider View Post
Hmm I didn't know about that. I just saw it in the licenseing. I wouldn't mind putting it on this desktop computer but it is already on my wife's HP all in one touch screen desktop computer. I wonder how they know if it is on a portable device or not.
Honestly they don't. You could just put it on any two computers and they wouldn't know the difference. In fact with the way their activation works, you could get away with putting it on several computers at once, with one exception:

When you use the cloud service, only two computers with one license can be logged on at once. I use it all the time to sync OneNote between my desktop and laptop without having to transfer files.

Beyond that, the license just says what you're supposed to do, but there's nothing they can do to enforce it.

Also you aren't supposed to say put one copy on your PC, and then another copy on your wife's portable. It's supposed to be that both computers belong to you and just you. But again, they have no way of enforcing it.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Old 07-10-11, 10:07 PM   #17
Hogrider

Yea true. I was just wondering if when it phones in for validation checks if it somehow detects a mobile chip set, cpu or whatever so it knows it's a mobile device. I saw in the licensing it says it sends info about the device it is installed on but I guess they probably wouldn't really enforce it.
Old 07-10-11, 10:37 PM   #18
Rakeesh

It looks at all of the components in your system, model numbers, serial numbers where available, and mathematically assembles them into a single number. This number, also called a fingerprint, is what is sent to the servers. They can't tell what kind of hardware you have based on that, rather they can just assemble a key unique to your system.

Anyways the servers cryptographically hash that number, along with your activation key, into another number that they send back to your computer, which then stores it as its license key. (I probably have the exact names of these terms wrong, but you get the idea.) Every time you run office (same thing with windows activation and its key) it checks that hardware against that license key, and if it doesn't match, the license is invalid and it will ask you to activate the software again. It doesn't have to phone home unless those numbers don't match. They do this so that you can't copy the installation from one PC to another PC, as the numbers wouldn't match.