Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-13-11, 10:32 AM   #1
torturedutopian

Question KDE4 + Nvidia : very slow "hover" animation

Hi everyone !

Here's an issue I've experienced for months (years ?) with various KDE distros. At the moment I use a cutting-edge ArchLinux distro with everything up to date. (qt4.7.3, kde 4.6.x, nvidia 270.41.19).

I use an nvidia 9800M GTX board (1 GB ram). Everything is top smooth with it (compiz, kwin, big 3D apps like FalloutNV via WINE etc etc.)

There is only *one* thing that litterally crawls and it pretty annoying : the "hover" animation, that you can see when you move the mouse over icons in Dolphin, or over icons in the KDE file selectors.

I have no idea why, but this animation is very slow and makes the scrolling very slow if you leave the mouse over some icons when using the mouse wheel for instance (or if you select multiple files etc. in Dolphin)

It is really strange. I tried to talk about it to KDE developers, but no one seems really aware of the problem and they seem to think it's drivers related.

Do you guys have any idea what it may be due to ? Please note, it's not due to a specific distro / configuration, as I used many of them with the same issues (Kubuntu, Arch, Slack...).

One more thing : sometimes, the issue doesn't occur immediatly. Use the system a couple a minutes, then it occurs. But it can stop occuring a bit later. Overall, it occurs most of the time anyway. For instance, open a big Dolphin window with big icons, and multi-select or scroll while leaving the mouse over some icons. You will see, everything will get VERY slow.

Cheers ! :-) Apart from that, the nvidia drivers really rock !
torturedutopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 04:21 AM   #2
torturedutopian

Default Re: KDE4 + Nvidia : very slow "hover" animation

Please note, the issue occurs all the same whether the desktop effects are enabled or not.
Old 06-14-11, 04:51 AM   #3
thefirstm

I have this issue too. It was introduced in KDE 4.3 and has been there ever since. As far as I can tell, it affects only 64-bit computers, but I may be wrong about that. I have filed several bugs about this, but nobody has ever given it much attention.
thefirstm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 05:18 AM   #4
torturedutopian

Oh, thanks for the reply !

Please have a look & contribute to this bug report : https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=262282

I definitely got some attention from the Dolphin developer, but he didn't manage to reproduce the issue. What nvidia board do you have ? The issue might be due to KDE, QT or the Nvidia driver and does affect icon views in general (Dolphin or KDE file selectors).

Please note the bug report was first about a specific slowdown case and then turned into something more general (that is to say : what I described in this thread).