Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-19-11, 06:34 PM   #13
Q

Default Re: Firefox 5.0 Final released

I like how they warranted a new version number without adding any major features. Chrome is a fairly lacking browser in a lot of areas, but at least they always have a few features added in the newest revision.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-11, 06:53 PM   #14
Viral
Registered User of Women

Traditionally so has Firefox. The jump from 1 to 2 was pretty decent, and 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 even bigger. This is definitely very unusual for mozilla. Traditionally, this should be called 4.5. Even then, it's pretty damn early!

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-11, 07:12 PM   #15
DSC

This isn't early at all. Mozilla already announced about Rapid Release months ago, even before Firefox 4.0 was released. I guess no one paid attention to what Mozilla announced.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease
DSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 11:30 AM   #16
Bman212121

Wow... How dumb is this?

End-of-Life:

As part of the faster cadence, FF5.0 automatically EOL's when FF6.0 is released with users getting silent updates.

So every 6 weeks your browser will be end of life and your browser will magically upgrade itself to the newest version without you knowing... Even for home users that could potentially suck when they keep breaking things with updates. (IE addons)

It's going to be a disaster for the IT world since you'll have to decide exactly when to freeze your version at. Then you'll be having to scavenge for the installer for the older version unless you have time to verify your updates work every other month.

The other really bad part is that you won't really be able to tell when significant changes are rolled out unless you read all of the release notes. Before you knew that version 1 to 2 meant there were significant changes. Now 5 to 6, and 6 to 7 could be very minor bugfixes. Then all of the sudden version 8 has some major feature changes.

EDIT:

Okay I found a bit more info. Every 3rd upgrade is supposed to be a major update.
Quote:
The development cycle proposed by Mozilla seems more like an incremental update cycle. But, unlike traditional software increments that tend to primarily address bugs or flaws in the major release, the new Firefox development cycle will quickly incorporate new features and technologies so that each overlapping 18-week release of Firefox will be a major release. Firefox 5 should be out in June, followed by Firefox 6 possibly by mid-August.
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._bad_idea.html
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 12:28 PM   #17
DSC

Google doesn't support older versions of Chrome either and Chrome is silently updated to the latest release, it's not dumb, it's smart. If you want a repeat of IE6 debacle, thats your choice, most web developers would hate if old browsers impede their ability to deploy the latest web technologies.

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2011/0...-browsers.html

Quote:
For web applications to spring even farther ahead of traditional software, our teams need to make use of new capabilities available in modern browsers. For example, desktop notifications for Gmail and drag-and-drop file upload in Google Docs require advanced browsers that support HTML5. Older browsers just don’t have the chops to provide you with the same high-quality experience.

For this reason, soon Google Apps will only support modern browsers. Beginning August 1st, we’ll support the current and prior major release of Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Safari on a rolling basis. Each time a new version is released, we’ll begin supporting the update and stop supporting the third-oldest version.

As of August 1st, we will discontinue support for the following browsers and their predecessors: Firefox 3.5, Internet Explorer 7, and Safari 3. In these older browsers you may have trouble using certain features in Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Talk, Google Docs and Google Sites, and eventually these apps may stop working entirely.

As the world moves more to the web, these new browsers are more than just a modern convenience, they are a necessity for what the future holds.
Old 06-26-11, 05:05 PM   #18
Ghosthunter

I am curious if FF5 fixed font issues I was having with FF4
G.Skill 16 GB Ram DDR3-1600
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
2x Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM SATA HD103SJ
WD SE16 7200 RPM SATA 640 GB
SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD Burner
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-11, 08:56 PM   #19
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC View Post
Google doesn't support older versions of Chrome either and Chrome is silently updated to the latest release, it's not dumb, it's smart. If you want a repeat of IE6 debacle, thats your choice, most web developers would hate if old browsers impede their ability to deploy the latest web technologies.

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2011/0...-browsers.html
I guess that you've never worked at an organization that relies on internal custom coded apps. I work at a university where man hours are very limited. Frequent versions changes require testing that small to medium size shops can't afford. Especially when created software or designing websites isn't the core function of the business.

I see your point, but the FF release cycle just doesn't make sense. Chrome sort of does because each point revision does features and bug fixes. Firefox is doing full releases for bug fixes - something that is typically handled in point releases with nearly every other software developer in the world. So now its going to be new features in every third drop and bug fixes in the first two? Maybe?

I understand the motivations but I'm just not confident there is enough internal direction or forethought going on behind the scenes.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-11, 11:55 PM   #20
DSC

Firefox 5.0 is not just a bugfix release, there's new features like CSS3 animations and under the hood changes that improves performance, for example it has libjpeg-turbo which is double the performance of the older libjpeg library.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=573948

As for enterprise custom apps, all I can say is Google automatically updates all their employees to the latest Chrome when released and none of their internal apps breaks. Enterprise custom apps are really lousy if they can't even work outside of a specific browser version. Stop targeting browser versions and write apps that adhere to web standards & use feature detection.

Also a lot of enterprises uses Apple iPhone and iPads these days and I don't see anything breaking with those after they're updated with the latest iOS software update, which is almost necessary since Apple has lousy security track record. Apple isn't the most enterprise friendly company either and their focus is clearly on consumer products but it doesn't stop many enterprises from adopting iPhones and iPads.

Also there's enterprises and businesses that are adopting Chrome OS and they don't seem to have any issues with their Chrome OS notebooks automatically updating themselves to the latest Chrome OS versions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGxjf53hbYM (350k employees around the world)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt579RU7Ot0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpGQPQYE3ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9gNxZ1NpRc

Old 06-27-11, 12:52 AM   #21
Viral
Registered User of Women

This new release schedule is crazy. After a few years, FF might as well stand for Final Fantasy. Can't wait for FFXV... the browser that is, which will probably be out before the video game.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 12:35 PM   #22
Runningman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
This new release schedule is crazy. After a few years, FF might as well stand for Final Fantasy. Can't wait for FFXV... the browser that is, which will probably be out before the video game.
I think this is a great move on thier part. With browsers being the main gateway for security intrusions into home computing, have an excelerated development cycle makes and silent updates makes sence. this is going to close so many holes to maleware and virus' that this could be a major step in combating those scumbags....
Runningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 03:56 PM   #23
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I guess that you've never worked at an organization that relies on internal custom coded apps. I work at a university where man hours are very limited. Frequent versions changes require testing that small to medium size shops can't afford. Especially when created software or designing websites isn't the core function of the business.
We only just went from IE6 to IE8 at work due to custom apps. :: We can't go past FF 3.5 due to an external website. Thank god we have restricted internet access and we can only get to the sites we need.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-11, 09:20 PM   #24
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningman View Post
I think this is a great move on thier part. With browsers being the main gateway for security intrusions into home computing, have an excelerated development cycle makes and silent updates makes sence. this is going to close so many holes to maleware and virus' that this could be a major step in combating those scumbags....
I don't know if I would agree with that. If you can get a 0 day to simply turn off auto updates then you'll have plenty of time to work on security holes. There will be a lot less time invested by mozilla testing releases and chances are there will be a lot less bugs that are going to be found and patched if the code never sits still. On the flip side it will keep malicious users on their toes because they won't have as much time to work on exploits for a particular version.

One thing that probably won't change is the time it takes to fix a bug when it is found. It's possible that an exploit could exist in multiple versions of firefox. I still think that as a whole having the faster releases would probably help, but I can see a lot of cases where if the ball is dropped it's going to create more chaos than needed. Can already see the day where somone commits a change last minute and it isn't throughly tested, then the silent release pushed it out to 100,000 people and broke everyone's browser.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-11, 02:17 AM
shellyhowell
This message has been deleted by MUYA. Reason: Spam (I edited a link in one of the posts) but this one is reviving thread that are old or...responding withnonsensical snwer