Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-23-11, 01:45 AM   #13
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: EA to pull games from Steam, make new titles exclusive to their platform

EA Downloader, now Origin has never been a problem for me. I still prefer Steam, but I have a few games on Origin and they download quickly and run perfectly fine.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 08:15 AM   #14
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar
Default Re: EA to pull games from Steam, make new titles exclusive to their platform

Yet another reason not free DLC sucks balls.. if it were free, we wouldn't have any of this mess.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 09:12 AM   #15
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Yep thanks Magus, I was going to post that update! I have read that they plan to make BF3 DLC exclusive to Origin on the PC though, is that still true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
EA Downloader, now Origin has never been a problem for me. I still prefer Steam, but I have a few games on Origin and they download quickly and run perfectly fine.
I got Hellgate: London from the EA store...never had a problem either. But yeah I prefer Steam to any other digital distribution platform.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 09:38 AM   #16
Q

Another "best thing / worst thing" example with PC gaming. We have all of these options, but no standard. Just think - Steam, Origin, GFWL, and who knows what else running just to manage updates and DRM for your games. I really like the choice and have become quite the advocate of Steam in the last few years (especially once I moved to the city and got off of dial up). But if EA were to pull a move where all of the games were gone from Steam, it would be a move in the wrong direction for the industry.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 10:55 AM   #17
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
It's not like Origin as a service is the problem here. I'm sure it works fine.
But I simply want my games on Steam. 1 of those services is enough.
Yup. Don't understand why the PC Community wont get behind one service.
Old 06-23-11, 11:01 AM   #18
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Yup. Don't understand why the PC Community wont get behind one service.
Because the people who are making the decision at Microsoft, EA, etc are looking out for the best interests of their company and not the industry in general. I'm a firm believer that if Steam was adopted as "the" standard for PC gaming that it would be a good thing for the industry and would drive more sales across the board. To EA and Microsoft, Steam is just a middleman taking profit that they can squeeze out of their own delivery services.
Old 06-23-11, 11:21 AM   #19
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
Because the people who are making the decision at Microsoft, EA, etc are looking out for the best interests of their company and not the industry in general. I'm a firm believer that if Steam was adopted as "the" standard for PC gaming that it would be a good thing for the industry and would drive more sales across the board. To EA and Microsoft, Steam is just a middleman taking profit that they can squeeze out of their own delivery services.
Yes but if the people who bought games only supported one method of distro then it would become the standard out of necessity. Look at GFWL, MS with Fable 3 admitted it wasn't doing so well by putting a self published title on Steam for the first time. If gamers just don't buy from "Origin" then EA will have to continue to go through Steam to get the majority of PC Sales.

Another example of companies giving in to Steam are other digital distros like Direct2Drive that originally halted sales of any Steamworks game due to conflict of interest but then resumed when they saw the lack of sales.
Old 06-23-11, 12:06 PM   #20
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

I have this feeling that companies like EA and microsoft want a slice of the Steam cake, since Valve is a smaller company than either of them. They probably think that they can do a better job at Steam than Valve can do at Steam. The problem that I'm seeing is that there are so many great titles available on Steam right now that I honestly don't want another game service. I want all of my games attached to one account that can be downloaded to any computer at any time. It's very convenient.

I don't like Origin simply because it would mean I have to play my games on another service, which means I have to remember another user name, another password, and I have to correspond with any friends on that service in another way. It's just too much other stuff. Steam just works as an all-encompassing service that is reliable and very good most of the time. Therefore, if there is a choice, I'll choose Steam.

Also, I like rooting for the underdog. Valve used to be the underdog, but at this time, they seem to control the PC gaming market. The good news is that even though they've grown to be a massive success, their ideals still remain the same. The fact that they are privately owned and operated means they don't have an agenda. Gabe Newell is sort of the savior of PC gaming if you think about it.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-11, 12:14 PM   #21
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Yes but if the people who bought games only supported one method of distro then it would become the standard out of necessity. Look at GFWL, MS with Fable 3 admitted it wasn't doing so well by putting a self published title on Steam for the first time. If gamers just don't buy from "Origin" then EA will have to continue to go through Steam to get the majority of PC Sales.

Another example of companies giving in to Steam are other digital distros like Direct2Drive that originally halted sales of any Steamworks game due to conflict of interest but then resumed when they saw the lack of sales.
You've hit it on the head on all points.
Old 07-06-11, 08:53 PM   #22
mojoman0

Quote:
DAVID DEMARTINI: AT EA WE RESPECT CONSUMER CHOICE … YOUR CHOICE

I’ve been at EA for 13 years – mostly on the studio side, developing games like March Madness, Tiger Woods PGA Tour, and The Godfather. In 2007 I began leading EA Partners and had the honor of working with marquee studios like Harmonix, Crytek, Insomniac, EPIC, Double Fine Studios, Respawn and Valve.

More recently, I was asked to lead EA’s consumer platform, Origin. Origin connects gamers with our franchises across PC and mobile devices. It is the new name of our EA Store, and an application that allows you to download EA games directly to your PC. My new role means that I’m involved in shaping EA’s policies for how players download our online games and services, and we always try to avoid misunderstandings with our players.

Some confusion came up a few weeks ago, when we started seeing stories and forum posts that suggested that EA was in conflict with one of our download partners, and that we had removed our games from that service. This is absolutely not true. I want to make sure our players understand EA’s policy on selling games through our download partners. As such, today we posted our official policy on selling games on third-party download sites, which you can view here.

At EA, we want to bring the best possible content to our players. This was a key factor during my time in EA Partners, where we found great studios and worked to make their games available to as many players as possible. Here at Origin we have the same principle. We want our products available to as many players as possible, which means we make them available in all the places that gamers go to download games and services. To be very clear, except under extremely special circumstances we offer our games to every major download service including Amazon, Gamestop, and Steam.

As you know, games and how they are made have both changed. Today, we continue to extend the experience with new maps, vehicles and other content that adds hours of fun and more value for our players. We also enhance the gaming experience with features like friends lists and in-game chat using the Origin application. Most importantly, we always want to be sure we provide this content and service at the highest possible level of quality. To ensure this, any retailer can sell our games, but we take direct responsibility for providing patches, updates, additional content and other services to our players. You are connecting to our servers, and we want to establish on ongoing relationship with you, to continue to give you the best possible gaming experience. This works well for our partnership with Gamestop, Amazon and other online retailers.

Unfortunately, if we’re not allowed to manage this experience directly and establish a relationship with you, it disrupts our ability to provide the support you expect and deserve. At present, there is only one download service that will not allow this relationship. This is not our choice, and unfortunately it is their customer base that is most impacted by this decision. We are working diligently to find a mutually agreeable solution.

Going forward, EA will continue offering our games to all major download sites. We will also remain committed to providing you, our players, with the best possible content, services, and gaming experience that we can.

David DeMartini

SVP, Global E-Commerce
http://www.ea.com/news/demar-at-ea-we-believe-in-choice
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 08:59 PM   #23
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

so basically valve doesn't like the idea that EA wants to control patches and DLC? Tell me what is wrong with the way valve handles this with every other game they offer and what's wrong with steam's in game chat, etc?

I read that as basically saying they want us to have the choice of where to get it but since steam won't allow them to control patches/DLC, you can't download on steam.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 09:30 PM   #24
|MaguS|

I think that is a BS excuse to have people side with EA when in reality its probably having to do with DLC. Why not offer players the best patch system by using steam and always having the players game up to date? Why give them a "choice? when that choice is more work for the player...