Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Rumor Mill

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-24-11, 08:29 PM   #13
Roliath

Default Re: Sigh- Bulldozer fail prediction from AMD staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Darn, I'm not up on doper jargon. Won't I be embarassed when I'm hanging out with all the other middle aged professionals and one whips out a baggie, rolls up a doobie, and asks me what my favorite phish song is?
phish sucks
Old 06-24-11, 08:37 PM   #14
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
fanboys, that's how.
Let's see, I bought a Phenom 1 motherboard, and two Phenom II motherboards recently. Can't remember how many between 486 and the FXs I bought.

I've probably owned more AMD motherboards than Intel, so personally, I'd be a fanboy of AMD if anything.

This is one time I hope the rumors are proven wrong. I just thought this was newsworthy.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-11, 08:47 PM   #15
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Let's see, I bought a Phenom 1 motherboard, and two Phenom II motherboards recently. Can't remember how many between 486 and the FXs I bought.

I've probably owned more AMD motherboards than Intel, so personally, I'd be a fanboy of AMD if anything.

This is one time I hope the rumors are proven wrong. I just thought this was newsworthy.
Pretty sure I wasn't talking to you.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-11, 08:54 PM   #16
bacon12

Quote:
Darn, I'm not up on doper jargon. Won't I be embarassed when I'm hanging out with all the other middle aged professionals and one whips out a baggie, rolls up a doobie, and asks me what my favorite phish song is?
Dammit you made me shoot Heineken through my nose.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-11, 09:33 PM   #17
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Dammit you made me shoot Heineken through my nose.
Sorry- I get a little bucky after a couple Maker's Marks and crack wise.....

Rig 2:

[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Old 06-25-11, 11:05 AM   #18
XDanger
Whaaat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazz View Post
AMD beats in price, you said low end AMD can't compete? A Core i5 2500K is mid to upper end of the scale not low end. I bought a AMD X6 1090T, 880G and 4GB PC12800 for 205

I was going to get bulldozer and this was to tie me over but considering every game i have played is smooth i don't see the need in a faster CPU.
Thats good value.
Old 06-25-11, 12:05 PM   #19
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger View Post
Thats good value.
Depends. I have a Phenom II 965 that I've run at 3.4 or 3.6, either way it bottlenecks the two 2GB GTX560Tis in that system.

I guess if you're trying to build a PC as cheap as possible and are willing to live with the limits, sure.

Hopefully Bulldozer chips will get them up to SB level.

Rig 2:

Old 06-25-11, 01:07 PM   #20
ViN86

Quote:
Wanna pass that spleef of AMD wish weed this way?
How about you actually attempt to counter my points instead of just dismissing them with your own ignorance?
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-11, 01:28 PM   #21
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
How about you actually attempt to counter my points instead of just dismissing them with your own ignorance?
If you insist.

See below.

Rig 2:

Old 06-25-11, 02:09 PM   #22
Rollo

Quote:
+1

AMD isn't going to die even if Bulldozer doesn't beat Sandy Bridge or Sandy Brdige E. AMD will price the chips accordingly and still make money.
This would be possible if chips were free to produce, but alas, AMD has much reason to care what their average price per chip is. Especially since they're not making up any shortfall in price per chip with volume given their tiny market share.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/articl...ves_amd_profit

Quote:
Thanks to a $1.25 billion settlement between Intel and Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) in an antitrust battle, AMD has posted its first quarterly profit in three years.
Maybe you should tell them to price their chips so they make a profit more often? Now that was from January 2010, but the point is you can't just "sell stuff cheaper and make money!".

Quote:
Plus they own this little thing called ATI, which is producing $350 HD6970's which are insanely fast in GPGPU computing, hold their own nicely against the $500 GTX 580, and scale very nicely in Crossfire.
"Little thing" is right. When AMD bought ATi outright, the company was worth much more than ATi and NVIDIA combined. Today, Nvidia is worth double ATi and AMD combined. Apparently those "big" 6970 revenues aren't propelling AMD to glory. You have to understand that AMD is a very large company compared to their acquisition ATi. Think of it like GM purchasing a chain of Popeye chicken restaurants. Popeye's might be doing great and selling lots of wings, but GM needs the big bucks to survive.

Quote:
Don't forget Llanos which just dropped too, which has great potential for the mobile and mainstream desktop user.
Sure, and my memoirs of a guy at the fringe of the gaming industry have great potential to be a best seller and make me richer than Bill Gates, but my crystal ball is broken and I have no clue what Llano will do for AMD.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2665...-amd-s-outlook

13% of the mobile market. It's pretty cler most people don't even consider AMD laptops.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20160

20% of the desktop market. Again, most people don't even consider AMD.

They have no mindshare because most people don't evaluate benchmarks like us- they just know "intel always has good cpus".

That second article I linked says AMD is expected to rise, but what if Bulldozer releases to a critical yawn, or worse, to bad reviews?

AMD really needs a winner here- the economy is either down or stagnant and intel is pricing parts they have no answer to in reach of all but the poorest hobo.

That, my friend, is a problem. In the computer business when your competitor's $200 bargain part blows away your "best effort flagship", all is not well.

Rig 2:

Old 06-25-11, 02:10 PM   #23
ViN86

Quote:
This would be possible if chips were free to produce, but alas, AMD has much reason to care what their average price per chip is. Especially since they're not making up any shortfall in price per chip with volume given their tiny market share.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/articl...ves_amd_profit

Maybe you should tell them to price their chips so they make a profit more often? Now that was from January 2010, but the point is you can't just "sell stuff cheaper and make money!".

"Little thing" is right. When AMD bought ATi outright, the company was worth much more than ATi and NVIDIA combined. Today, Nvidia is worth double ATi and AMD combined. Apparently those "big" 6970 revenues aren't propelling AMD to glory. You have to understand that AMD is a very large company compared to their acquisition ATi. Think of it like GM purchasing a chain of Popeye chicken restaurants. Popeye's might be doing great and selling lots of wings, but GM needs the big bucks to survive.

Sure, and my memoirs of a guy at the fringe of the gaming industry have great potential to be a best seller and make me richer than Bill Gates, but my crystal ball is broken and I have no clue what Llano will do for AMD.

13% of the mobile market. It's pretty cler most people don't even consider AMD laptops.

20% of the desktop market. Again, most people don't even consider AMD.

They have no mindshare because most people don't evaluate benchmarks like us- they just know "intel always has good cpus".

That second article I linked says AMD is expected to rise, but what if Bulldozer releases to a critical yawn, or worse, to bad reviews?

AMD really needs a winner here- the economy is either down or stagnant and intel is pricing parts they have no answer to in reach of all but the poorest hobo.

That, my friend, is a problem. In the computer business when your competitor's $200 bargain part blows away your "best effort flagship", all is not well.
You missed the point. The point was that they could sell Bulldozer at a lower profit margin even if their performance is not up to snuff. They have other markets they're exploring (e.g. mobile markets, GPU's, etc.). Combined, they can boost revenues. None of us have any idea how Bulldozer will perform at the moment, so it's equally foolish to assume it will beat or lose to Intel's chips in terms of performance.

From other parts of the articles you posted.

Quote:
AMD could grow market share in 2011

...with its combined server and desktop market shares climbing roughly from 20% to 25%. That last figure "may advance further to 30% in 2012," too

Quote:
Trefis members predict market share to increase to 17% implying ~11% upside to our AMD stock price estimate.
So everyone's predicting growth, yet you're all gloom and doom...

I am not saying that AMD is in a great place. Just that they have a lot of products out there in the market and are diversifying quite a bit, so even if their flagship lags behind in performance slightly, they can stay afloat.

And FWIW, I prefer Knob Creek.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-11, 02:16 PM   #24
Rollo

Quote:
I don't see anything?
I'm the world's slowest typist.

Think it's time for Makers Mark on ice after such an effort!

Rig 2: