Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Rumor Mill

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-23-11, 12:10 AM   #73
Rollo

Default Re: Sigh- Bulldozer fail prediction from AMD staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
u mad? you seem mad. Bet AMD doesn't go anywhere.
The only thing in life that gets me mad is Obama selling the USA for party power. The rest of it is just idle conversation.

And in this case, my OP was spot on. Late, underperforming by preliminary accounts and proposed pricing, and now who knows what is up?

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 12:14 AM   #74
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
And in this case, my OP was spot on. Late, underperforming by preliminary accounts and proposed pricing, and now who knows what is up?
So you know performance numbers for sure? If so please share...
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 03:22 AM   #75
Muppet

It doesn't read very well does it. I would hate anything to happen to them as we need AMD to help keeping Intel honest (or as honest as can be expected). I'm sure it will all be fine in the end though.

From HardOCP:

AMD Fires Rick Bergman Under Cloud of Mystery

Rick Bergman, Senior Vice President and General Manager at AMD has been fired according to HardOCP sources. AMD has given no reason as to why the well seasoned Bergman was leaving his position. It was told to us that Bergman had interviewed for the just-filled CEO position months back at AMD and had been turned down. Since then we have been lead to understand that AMD has lowered the boom on Bergman for not managing the GlobalFoundries relationship properly. Sources tell us that GlobalFoundries is simply not up to the task of supplying AMD its needed parts and Bergman is first in line when it comes to the responsibility of making sure AMD is sourced properly. We understand that Bergman will be the first of the dominoes to fall.

Rick Bergman is senior vice president and general manager of AMD’s products group, with responsibility for delivering AMD’s computing platforms and managing the graphics and microprocessor product development teams.

I first met Rick a bit over 10 years ago. Rick was a hell of a nice guy and we wish him the best. http://www.hardocp.com/news/2011/09/..._cloud_mystery
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 08:07 AM   #76
Rollo

Last time AMD launched a chip, some guy posted at me "It's called Barcel-OWNA!!".

Yeah, from 486 days up till Core 2 launched and I couldn't get as much scaling with my FX60, I bought only AMD CPUs to support competition.

These days with the GPUs so much more powerful than the CPUs, and me always having 2-4 in my box, I'm pretty much stuck with Intel. Using Phenoms is like leaving the framerates you paid for out of the equation, especially the all important minimum fps.

I do hope AMD delivers with this launch, whenever it happens. After years of trailing, it likely won't be enough to be "comparable" to SB. The only thing that could really win them back much needed market share is superiority or much lower pricing.

Rig 2:

[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Old 09-23-11, 08:12 AM   #77
Muppet

Quote:
Last time AMD launched a chip, some guy posted at me "It's called Barcel-OWNA!!".

Yeah, from 486 days up till Core 2 launched and I couldn't get as much scaling with my FX60, I bought only AMD CPUs to support competition.

These days with the GPUs so much more powerful than the CPUs, and me always having 2-4 in my box, I'm pretty much stuck with Intel. Using Phenoms is like leaving the framerates you paid for out of the equation, especially the all important minimum fps.

I do hope AMD delivers with this launch, whenever it happens. After years of trailing, it likely won't be enough to be "comparable" to SB. The only thing that could really win them back much needed market share is superiority or much lower pricing.
If it ends up being as fast or faster than SB, it will be a winner in my books. You just know it will be priced nicely (all AMD chips have in the last few years). It would make for a great 2nd Rig IMO.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 08:31 AM   #78
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
If it ends up being as fast or faster than SB, it will be a winner in my books. You just know it will be priced nicely (all AMD chips have in the last few years). It would make for a great 2nd Rig IMO.
I agree with this. I just don't think parity, and slightly cheaper, is enough to win back marketshare when your competitor has a huge mindshare advantage and is already very cheap.

Rig 2:

Old 09-24-11, 05:23 PM   #79
Roadhog
Resident Alien

http://www.donanimhaber.com/islemci/...-sonuclari.htm
Old 09-24-11, 09:24 PM   #80
Rollo

Quote:
OK, so they leaked the AMD press deck which is designed to show their products in as good of a light as possible.

Running CPU gaming benches at 1080P settings could take the cpu largely out of the equation if AA was on. Even if it wasn't, the SB parts already caught up to 980Xs long ago for much less.

Rig 2:

Old 09-25-11, 01:18 AM   #81
Ninja Prime

Quote:
OK, so they leaked the AMD press deck which is designed to show their products in as good of a light as possible.

Running CPU gaming benches at 1080P settings could take the cpu largely out of the equation if AA was on. Even if it wasn't, the SB parts already caught up to 980Xs long ago for much less.
Doesn't change the point though. I.E., high end gaming is mostly a GPU benchmark anyway. Performance is roughly on par with a 2600k, but at a price about 25% less. It puts them up considerably higher in performance and better competing than they are now with the phenom2 by 30% or so, with better overclockability. How exactly is that a fail rollo? Not to mention, they always have their GPU division that is making a bunch of money since they took back majority market control from NV...
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-11, 01:38 AM   #82
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
Doesn't change the point though. I.E., high end gaming is mostly a GPU benchmark anyway. Performance is roughly on par with a 2600k, but at a price about 25% less. It puts them up considerably higher in performance and better competing than they are now with the phenom2 by 30% or so, with better overclockability. How exactly is that a fail rollo? Not to mention, they always have their GPU division that is making a bunch of money since they took back majority market control from NV...
It's AMD. Anything with an AMD badge is automatically fail to him.
Old 09-25-11, 07:52 AM   #83
Rollo

Quote:
It's AMD. Anything with an AMD badge is automatically fail to him.
Do tell. I purchased a Phenom 1/motherboard, two Phenom 2s/motherboards, and between my 486 DX100 and my Athlon FX60 always had at least one AMD rig running in my house.(not to mention all the ones I bought for rigs I set up for others, and friends I recommended them to)

How about you chief? My guess is AMD probably needs customers like me more than sycophants like you.

Rig 2:

Old 09-25-11, 08:46 AM   #84
Rollo

Quote:
Doesn't change the point though. I.E., high end gaming is mostly a GPU benchmark anyway. Performance is roughly on par with a 2600k, but at a price about 25% less. It puts them up considerably higher in performance and better competing than they are now with the phenom2 by 30% or so, with better overclockability. How exactly is that a fail rollo?
http://venturebeat.com/2011/08/01/am...t-share-in-q2/

Quote:
Intel was still strong in mobile chips. It had 84.4 percent of the unit segment, down 1.9 percentage points. AMD had 15.2 percent, a gain of 1.8 percentage points. Via earned 0.4 percent of the mobile market.In PC servers and workstations, Intel had 94.5 percent market share, up 0.6 percentage points. AMD had 5.5 percent, down 0.6 percentage points. In PC desktops, Intel had 70.9 percent, down 1.5 percentage points, and AMD was 28.9 percent, up 1.5 percentage points
Unlike GPUs, you can't just drop in an AMD product with motherboards, it requires a motherboard exchange as well. Why would anyone with any i7 sell it at a loss and buy one of these parts, go through the work to totally take their PC apart and put it back together? They wouldn't.

Is it pretty clear by the figures above that intel is the brand of choice in mindshare, so you think establishing parity with a part intel launched nine months ago will "turn the tide" and make people flock to AMD?

Quote:
Not to mention, they always have their GPU division that is making a bunch of money since they took back majority market control from NV...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/graphic...justments.html

Quote:
Nvidia’s share in the overall PC graphics market has dropped due to the company exiting the integrated graphics segment, but in discretes, Nvidia leads with 54.7% market share.
Really? You're trying to make it look like AMD is in control of the PC graphics market because they have the integrated $3/ea GPU market to themselves?

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/23...ng-q2-earnings

$151M in earnings for NVIDIA last quarter.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD...tus,13116.html

Net income was $61M for AMD in total, CPUs and GPUs. Here's the best part:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2810...all-transcript

Quote:
Graphics segment operating loss was $7 million

There's your "ATi is making a bunch of money....they're the kings!" chief.

Losing money, per usual, which is why they had to sell out to AMD in the first place. (and drag them down with them- AMD would probably sell ATi to NVIDIA for $10. and a half off coupon to Red Lobster if the SEC would allow it)

Rig 2: