Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-13-03, 03:16 AM   #1
Ezhik

Default NVIDIA - LOWEST-END solution for dummies !!! ATI - BEST FROM THE BEST !!!!

Three month I try to start NVIDIA GF4 MX440 in Linux on motherboard based on nForce2 chipset from NVIDIA. And ? NOTHING WORK !!!!!!!! Latest driver 4496 does't work too. I always have garbage on screen when start X.
I write detailed description of problem to linux-bugs@nvidia.com about 1.5 month ago ... and get response - "try bla-bla-bla" - this "bla-bla-bla" was steal from this forum and I try it before send letter to linux-bugs@nvidia.com

If explore this forum we can discover what this problem does'n my own problem - many people have this bug and can't resolve it.

So I want to say - "I DISAPPOINTED in NVIDIA products" and deplore my money which I WAST on NVIDIA products !!!

Now I use ATI Radeon 9000 Pro - it BEST FROM THE BEST. Driver for this videocard installed in "one touch" and WORK !!!! from FIRST start of X

So NVIDIA products - for dummies who have much time for waste it in battle with drivers.

Sorry for my English but I can't tolerate more this ugliness with NVIDIA drivers
Ezhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-03, 03:42 AM   #2
Moe

People get what they deserve ...
Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-03, 04:11 AM   #3
alienthrylos

ya know i've got a laptop with ati mobility radeon 7500 and i can't make it to enable the 3d. Sax2 says that 3d features for this card are still in beta version. Where did you find these drivers? Ati doesn't release first party drivers for products powered by ATI. It's a pain in the ass.
420W PSU
ALBATRON 7800GT
alienthrylos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-03, 04:51 AM   #4
p0lish_p0w3r

another flamer
Old 08-13-03, 04:55 AM   #5
Ezhik

I use this driver for my new ATI card

http://dri.sourceforge.net/snapshots...x.i386.tar.bz2

yes, it is not native driver ... but it WORK !!! and work fine and NO PROBLEM during install. My collegues now use ATI also and this driver - no claim
Old 08-13-03, 05:27 AM   #6
pe1chl

ATI isn't fun either.

When you want to use Windows on a laptop with ATI mobility chipset, you cannot download the driver from the ATI site. They refer you to the manufacturer of the laptop.

When the manufacturer chooses not to support Windows 2000 anymore, you are lost. Nowhere to go.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-03, 08:53 AM   #7
Rapsys|Phoenix

but as I seer in precedent post teir is a open source developement version for the drivers because of sourceforge adresse : It's why when you have pb you post the problems and someone will correct it if it's a real problems!

My video card (Ge-Force 2 GTS (old)) still not work with AGP support!!!! their is a lot time I have try to make it works! and I hear that a radeon 9000 pro work perfectly!!!!

You could imagine what I will bye next if nvidia continue to laught of our problems!
Old 08-13-03, 09:29 AM   #8
guills

If you kids could stop flaming and start thinking a bit, we could maybe treat you like young adults. Right now I just want to say "screw you" and move on.. but I'll bite anyways:

Usually installing AGP support for nforce2 is not easy but if you follow the steps outlined everywhere, it works.

If you don't know how to disable AGP in your kernel... or how to compile and install a new one, don't complain the drivers suck.

There is not that many issues with the driver.. the biggest one being that problem to escape from X...
guills is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-03, 10:14 AM   #9
Ezhik

Quote:
Originally posted by guills

Usually installing AGP support for nforce2 is not easy but if you follow the steps outlined everywhere, it works.

If you don't know how to disable AGP in your kernel... or how to compile and install a new one, don't complain the drivers suck.
Dear guills ! Thanks for your opinion. But I say in my first post what I try some(much) solutions from this forum and I try to disable AGP in my kernel (it discribe in README from driver pack) ...

But, dear guills, I have normal worked ATI videocard which USE AGP and it WORK fine ... so, as say in Russia, - "no comments"