Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-30-11, 01:23 PM   #25
bacon12

Default Re: Finally time for new phone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
It still does not mean that the android market (or apple for that matter) will just stand down and not build on an already proven stable platform. My Android tablet is already taking the place of my laptop. I use my Android O/S more now than I use ms for my daily browsing/email/etc.

By the time Windows roll out this "promised" platform, Android/Apple will already have a bigger advantage over Windows.
Not when MS has 90% of market share already it just needs to carry over into the mobile space. People use windows apps for work, it only makes sense that these apps would easily make their way into the mobile platform.

Doing any real work people are going to be using windows.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 01:33 PM   #26
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Not when MS has 90% of market share already it just needs to carry over into the mobile space. People use windows apps for work, it only makes sense that these apps would easily make their way into the mobile platform.

Doing any real work people are going to be using windows.
That's the big problem. MS has 90% of the market share in desktops/servers. The tablet field will be a new adventure for them--in which they've tried once before and failed miserably at. This time, they have some serious competition from Apple AND Android, and like I said before, they already got their feet in the door solidly.

I just can't see MS wowing consumers with something other than what they've been doing already.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 01:36 PM   #27
bacon12

Time will tell, but WM7 is already a nice platform. If you haven't used one you should try it out, on of the smoothest touch interfaces I have ever used.

I will be getting a new phone in August, and even though I love webOS I think I will be getting a windows phone.
Old 06-30-11, 01:46 PM   #28
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Time will tell, but WM7 is already a nice platform. If you haven't used one you should try it out, on of the smoothest touch interfaces I have ever used.

I will be getting a new phone in August, and even though I love webOS I think I will be getting a windows phone.
Don't get me wrong...wm7 is a nice platform. In fact, when I got my current phone, I thought about getting a Windows Mobile phone. I just couldn't let go how nice and fast the androids phones are. And now that I have an Asus Tablet, I'm really blown away with it.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 01:58 PM   #29
Hogrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I want a freakin' bag-phone, yo'.
Tie your phone to your nutsack homey. Holla back!
Old 06-30-11, 02:11 PM   #30
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

One thing nobody has mentioned yet are the apps available for these platforms. WM7 and WebOS, not much app support there. Android? It's getting there but still missing apps and games that are worth a flip. That's why I like iOS. You can get any app you want; I hate missing out on some awesome apps and games. There is nothing on Android that isn't on iOS App Store that I would want. Yet here I am with a Droid and missing out on tons of apps. Once my iPad gets here, that won't matter as much lol.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 02:19 PM   #31
bacon12

Well when windows 8 hit tablets, and developers start porting over their apps for touch you can download your apps from this place called the internet. hehe.
Old 06-30-11, 02:24 PM   #32
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
One thing nobody has mentioned yet are the apps available for these platforms. WM7 and WebOS, not much app support there. Android? It's getting there but still missing apps and games that are worth a flip. That's why I like iOS. You can get any app you want; I hate missing out on some awesome apps and games. There is nothing on Android that isn't on iOS App Store that I would want. Yet here I am with a Droid and missing out on tons of apps. Once my iPad gets here, that won't matter as much lol.
I don't agree with that. I have many apps on my Droid X that I wish I had on my iPod Touch.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-11, 02:50 AM   #33
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

I'll throw in a vote for an iOS device. iPhone 4 if you can for the screen. There still aren't any phones that really beat it for quality. Some come close, but they often are for more power users. Also if you plan to do any gaming iOS is the best, you have a ton of great games like Infinity Blade and Dead Space. One thing that sucks is notifications, but iOS5 will fix that as Bearbear will confirm.

BTW Bearbear. How does the beta run? Beagle can get the beta, I'm worried about crashes and battery drain mostly.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 05:10 AM   #34
Retrolock

Get a Samsung Galaxy S 2 if it's being offered by your carrier.
Old 07-01-11, 07:39 AM   #35
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
I'll throw in a vote for an iOS device. iPhone 4 if you can for the screen. There still aren't any phones that really beat it for quality. Some come close, but they often are for more power users. Also if you plan to do any gaming iOS is the best, you have a ton of great games like Infinity Blade and Dead Space. One thing that sucks is notifications, but iOS5 will fix that as Bearbear will confirm.

BTW Bearbear. How does the beta run? Beagle can get the beta, I'm worried about crashes and battery drain mostly.
Bob - notifications get HUGE update in iOS5. Major advancement over old ones and even android.

Crainger - Beta 1 actually ran a lot better than the current beta 2. Not a whole lot of issues at all but I get some crashes of the springboard now, with beta 2. Rarely though, and even with beta software, apple is top notch. Pretty excellent for beta. I did it just for the notifications and iCloud, and iMessages. These three are HUGE.
Old 07-01-11, 11:22 PM   #36
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

sweet. I might try it out. I have a JB phone right now, but only for lockscreen notifications. So when I go 5 I wont have to JB. ::

I'll see if Beagle can sort out a beta for me.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote