Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-13-03, 04:56 AM   #1
Cyan

Thumbs up To all NVIDIA developers: Thank You!

I'd just like to give a big thanks to the Linux NVIDIA developers for making a *fantastic* driver set for Linux. It's fast, it's well-documented, it works flawlessly, and it *far* exceeded my expectations. This, ladies and gentlemen, is what *all* drivers should be like! You've got one more very satisfied customer here who'll continue to buy NVIDIA's great products over anyone else's offerings so long as your drivers continue to be this good. As a user of Linux since the 386 days, I must say that it's very impressive to see drivers of this calibur out there. Easy to use for all the newbies, while still being nice and technical for all of us Linux gurus. Well done! I just wish I could take you all out for a beer or something ;)

Sincerely,
--RS.
Cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-03, 07:46 AM   #2
Rapsys|Phoenix

I say not thank but **** YOU for your ****ing drivers witch work not without freeze crash of X and so on with AGP use(anyone)

I say **** for the licence, because if the glx ans al the drivers were developed under GPL today the use of the driver did be possible with all kernel! not alny with the one shiped with distrib!!!! and all problems ,ot corrected by nvidia were be corrected by users....

The day I will see no The drivers not work for me or something else I will say thank to nvidia developer! (and I will certainly will looking on nvidia instead of Radeon)
Old 08-13-03, 08:21 AM   #3
Yagami

Send a message via ICQ to Yagami Send a message via AIM to Yagami Send a message via Yahoo to Yagami
Default thank you

this must be a mistake , first post commenting on this but : (there goes my karma)

well, rapsys!phoenix , the nvidia drivers arent that bad. but your right, until nvidia releases the specs, nvidia cards will be a bad choice for linux. ( although currently they may be the best drivers out there ). I say this because we never know when will nvidia stop with its support for linux. And knowing that linux is not like MS , that can bully devs to make drivers for it , one is never certain.

but now, Sr. Cyan ... you are incompreensive.
either your completly lying to suck up to the devs, or your and idiot.

first of all , it is fast,although performance is always subjective, nvidia drivers ( the latest) seem to be fast.
But to say they work flawlessly ... well , then we should close this forum, its not needed.

i just want to say , how come you have been using linux since the 386 days ( wow , you must be a linus , you are very poor and bought a 386 when everyone else was using pentiums) if you use it so much , you probably submit patches to the kernel , since your are such a guru . i guess kernel taint would not be acceptable to you.

i guess its fair to say thanx ( since nvidia works much more on the drivers than ati , or at least it seems that way ) but no thanx , i still relly on xfree nv drivers (although i test every release of nvidia.this latest is much better , render accel can be turned on again , but screen corruption occurs when i have multiple Xs) .
Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-03, 03:24 PM   #4
Cyan

Yagami;

There doesn't seem to be much point to suck up to the developers, what would I get? Considering I'm here and they're.. there, there doesn't seem to be much point. My drivers work flawlessly as I've stated before, so it's not like I'm sucking up to get some 'custom one on one tech support.' I've been using Linux since the 1.0 kernel days, and no, I've never submitted a kernel patch. I'm not a GPL purist or one of your local zealots, so I really don't care about kernel taint so long as it does what I need it to do. I don't go around telling everyone to run Linux; on the contrary, I tell them to *not* run it considering that most people have no real use for it, anyway.

To be honest, I was just amazed at how well the drivers worked out of the box, considering the hell I just came from with 'another' chip manufacturer. Compared to the stuff I had to deal with, NVIDIA's offerings here are a godsend. I just wanted to thank the developers for taking their time to make such an excellent driver set, because that's a rare thing from a company these days. Certainly if you're one of those hard-working XFree86 devs or kernel hackers, I don't mean to undermine your work: certainly I've used the kernel more than nvidia.o, and more XFree86 code has gone through my CPU than NVIDIA code, so I have all of you to thank as well.

However, considering the 'hostile' nature of most of the Linux users who'll be trying to make use of NVIDIA's Linux offerings, I thought it'd be a nice switch to give a simple thanks to the developers for all of their hard work. No request for help, no expectations, nothing like that, just a simple 'thank you.' Seems pretty strange, doesn't it? I thought after receiving nothing but complaints, flames, and cries for help, it might be refreshing for the devs to see a compliment. Unfortunately, it's a shame that people like you are working hard to undermine the value of such things.

Remember what your mother told you? If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all. So, you can put the flamethrower down ;) I just wanted to deliver my thanks, and enjoy some quality hardware. That's all.
Cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-03, 08:17 PM   #5
Yagami

Send a message via ICQ to Yagami Send a message via AIM to Yagami Send a message via Yahoo to Yagami
Default thank you

cyan , sorry to have come too strongly , really i should have not.

i really dont understand you on the matter ,if you are so software pratical, i mean , if you just use what works , why did you use linux 1.0 ? even today there are thing in linux that are hard to work , so sorry , i just dont understand you.

yeah , you are right. given that ati does very good graphic cards , but then such lousy drivers , nvidia deserves a thank you.

but when you say flawlessly , you have to espect this from ppl that have so much trouble with them . you see my case. if i open another X , when i come back to the original screen , it is all scrambled !

and the drivers being closed, i am a gpl purist , or , something you may understand , a not dependent to any company for my computer to work.

i am not a xfree dev, so its not that my problem. my only problem with nvidia its really the closed specs thing. most ppl dont understand,but its the same all over again.if any company gets a grip over linux(if kinda like only nvidia cards do 3d in linux) then MS buys nvidia , and puff , linux is off.this is a lot far fetched, but you get the ideia.
i am so strong in this because i started using linux only when it suported my video card ( which was a riva tnt 16 mg). so there , nvidia already stopped me from using linux earlier.
and given that i had to wait almost 2 years for nvidia to develop drivers for linux ( and the earlier ones were completly unusable).

really , i am sorry to have litten up the flame thrower so much ,i hope not , but sooner or later you will run into trouble.
Old 08-14-03, 07:15 AM   #6
readme

Default every piece of software written has problems ...

but I don't see why people have to be so hostile. Thanks Cyan for the positiveness. And thanks to NVIDIA. The drivers work better than most other drivers (almost flawlessly in my case). And the graphics cards are the best right now. Maybe in a year it will be different, and in that case I will buy from another vendor, but in any case, the efforts by NVIDIA on the linux drivers are appreciated.

Cheers
readme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-03, 10:42 AM   #7
Anthaus

I understand that nvidia's policy towards open source leaves something to be desired. But their developers do a great job and they're the ones we're praising here.

Congratulations and keep up the good work!!
Old 08-14-03, 11:00 PM   #8
Rapsys|Phoenix

my precedent reply ave been moderate I think...

I use not linux 1.0, but a mdk 9.1 and because of the not support of my RAID in the plug-in kernel I need to recompile it... (I have not rryed the nvidia driver for th defaut kernem...)

But I know one think that it's not the nvidia kernel modules whitch works fine... whitch hang my pc I hate but the glx which need not to be compiled and it's this part whict crash!!!
a hazard ???

I know one think it's that if you realy not want to open the source ok but you have the obligation to make a driver whitch work on all the system of linux and for this you have to put a version that recompile all from the source in function of your system and nvidia do this as part!!!

It's why I say **** off!
because if glx could be recompiled from source I would have modify it to create a log in way to fin where comme from the problems!

Old 08-15-03, 05:53 AM   #9
nutball
International God of Sex

Quote:
Originally posted by Rapsys|Phoenix
but you have the obligation to make a driver whitch work on all the system of linux
No they don't. They have no obligation whatsoever to make their cards work on any systems at all.

Financially it makes sense for them to have them work under Windows, otherwise nobody will buy them. Anything else is just a few percent perturbation on their market share.

They certainly don't have an obligation to provide Linux drivers, and no obligation to provide drivers for the particular sub-version of Linux you choose to use.

If their cards and drivers don't work for you, buy someone else's. That's the best way to get their attention, not being aggressive here.
Old 08-15-03, 07:02 AM   #10
Yagami

Default obligation

nutball , obligation depends

do they said , in the box that it works with :
windows , ..... and linux ??

if they say linux in the box , then they have the obligation.

if not , then they dont have the obligation

and then there is legal obligation and moral obligation
Old 08-15-03, 08:09 AM   #11
Rapsys|Phoenix

I am speakinq of moral obligation because when I buy it the linux power was not so developed!!!

Today I will buy only harware liux compatible...
but i think that it is not normal for a giant like nvidia whitch win many money every day not realease perfect driver or at last try to make them perfect!

I send a e-mail no answer wheras a lot of people have the same problem as me!!!
Old 08-16-03, 02:25 AM   #12
guills

[there goes my karma too..]
Oh yeah... btw... to all ****tards who joined the Linux bandwagon because it's hip now... there are a lot of people who were using Linux in the 386 era... and who are not kernel gurus and haven't submitted kernel patches (me for example). There are good people working on it and I've never had the time to work on it. Who cares. I still want drivers for my nvidia card that work.

Everyone who's been using Linux since the first versions are not all kernel hackers . This isn't The Hurd :> lol
guills is offline   Reply With Quote