Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-16-11, 11:41 PM   #1
Rakeesh

Default Looking for something original

So I just upgraded my system and I don't really have any modern games to play on a regular basis. I haven't been a regular player of any FPS games for years and I am thinking of getting back into it again but I don't see anything original. Most of the games these days seem like they haven't changed much beyond the original counterstrike, which was quite fun back in the day, but IMO it's time to move on from that genre (I'm looking at you, call of duty)

That said, anybody know of any FPS games that are at least original in concept, have multiple modes of play (mods, etc) have a larger player base, and aren't full of asshats like the kind you find in the counterstrike-alikes?

Also I'd greatly prefer it if it's the sort of game that you can just pick up, play, and stop playing at any time without there being some kind of negative consequence. Like say for example, games that aren't really any fun until you've spent an entire year unlocking this and that, and when you stop playing for a while new sh*t comes out that you have to grind to unlock. (grinding sucks, I hate grinding)

I'd play TF2 again except from what I understand it has turned into a grind fest since I last played it.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-11, 12:25 AM   #2
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget
Default Re: Looking for something original

love the message under your name

you are looking for a multiplayer title right? i am not sure about those.

Some SP games that felt original (created an original experience) to me were:

Metro 2033
Cryostasis (what a trip this one was)
Dead Space 1/2
Bioshock 1/2
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-11, 12:45 AM   #3
Rakeesh

Yeah multiplayer, something I can just play willy nilly but goes on indefinitely, which SP games don't.

Although I like SP games, thanks for the list. While on the topic of SP, how is the mass effect series? Been wanting to look into it.

EDIT: Actually screw mass effect, I want nothing to do with EA/origin, screw having games that "expire," I'll have no part in that.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 09:21 AM   #4
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
Although I like SP games, thanks for the list. While on the topic of SP, how is the mass effect series? Been wanting to look into it.

EDIT: Actually screw mass effect, I want nothing to do with EA/origin, screw having games that "expire," I'll have no part in that.
I can hardly believe you've waited this long to play Mass Effect, go get it now. Forget your complaint about EA, the games are available on Steam and you just missed a huge sale on ME2. Get it anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh
That said, anybody know of any FPS games that are at least original in concept, have multiple modes of play (mods, etc) have a larger player base, and aren't full of asshats like the kind you find in the counterstrike-alikes?
Sadly, no such game exists.

Oh and I know it's not multiplayer, but Deus Ex: Human Revolution comes out in about a month and is definitely going to devour my PC gaming time.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote