Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-18-11, 01:18 PM   #13
Bah!

Default Re: Origin to Delete games after 24 months without login

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Unless I am misunderstanding the OP, by not logging in once every 2 years EA can revoke your liscense for your copy of the game rendering it not playable.

So your claim about never having to use it again is false. Because if you don't ever use it again, you'll lose your liscense to the game and thus wont be able to play your game.
If you want to nitpick, yes, you might have to use it once every two years, although Crysis is still on my games list and I haven't played it in much longer than that. Of course, compared to Steam, which requires you to load it every time you play your game, is once every 24 months such a big deal?
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 06:38 AM   #14
K007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
If you want to nitpick, yes, you might have to use it once every two years, although Crysis is still on my games list and I haven't played it in much longer than that. Of course, compared to Steam, which requires you to load it every time you play your game, is once every 24 months such a big deal?
Isn't having Stream on to play games = DRM / part of Steam's antipiracy methods?
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 09:40 AM   #15
LurkerLito

It's kind of a weird thing. It sounds like they don't want to have accounts idle for more than 2 years, but since I don't consider Origin as anything else but a download client, it means unless I buy something from them once every 2 years, I could fall into that category. At the moment this doesn't seem as it will be an issue, but it might.

Origin is trying to be steam, with messaging, friends list, etc, but I won't use them if I already have all that on steam and on multiple publishers and indie games. They are too late to the party, so they are going to leverage their IP (BFBC3, Crysis, etc) to try and get the users to switch but it's going to be an uphill battle cause unlike Steam, friends who might not like any EA games won't be part of origin, they will continue to just use steam. Origin can never win on EA games alone, it's probably why they had no problems buying popcap games, to try and swing other types of gamers to their Origin service.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-11, 01:14 PM   #16
frenchy2k1

Actually, this is the opposite.
Their terms state that they will keep giving you access AT least 2 years after your login.
STEAM does not certify anything (they can revoke access at any time for any reason).

The difference is that STEAM has proven trust worthy so far and EA has not.
STEAM has included a lot of community features in their client and people do not resent running the client to access the games (even if technically it is DRM), as it brings some value and stays mostly out of your way, letting you access your game while patching them with a minimum of fuss.

Origin does not.
Old 07-19-11, 04:37 PM   #17
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?

I think this just means that you wouldn't be able to retrieve your key through origin, not that the key itself would become invalid. I keep copies of all my keys and don't use Origin to play games I have there. I open Origin games the same way I open all other games (except Steam which you have to open first) by clicking on the game exe. The only time I need to open Origin is I want to download another game from EA. Other than that I don't use it. I liked the old EA downloader better than Origin. The old downloader gave the option of asking for each game location. Origin is not as flexible and I don't get into all the social BS that it introduces (like crappy Windows Live and to a lesser extent Steam). I just want to play the games as quickly as possible, don't need or want the chat options and posted achievements to compare with the kiddies.
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-11, 06:09 PM   #18
RollinThundr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
This, I'll never understand the love and devotion steam gets. It's DRM people, it forces you to run it anytime you want to play something, even RETAIL games force it on you on certain titles using Steamworks DRM, nothing I love more than going to a midnight release for a AAA PC game and having to wait hours til I can play a game I paid for since steam unlocks stuff when it's good and ready. **** Steam.
RollinThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 05:26 AM   #19
Crow_Nest
Ace Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Crow_Nest

When they say "Delete" do they mean the money you paid for your game and serial number becomes invalid and if i wish to play it again i have to repurchase?
| Hitachi 1TB SATA3 HDD | Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700W |
| Cooler Master Centurion 5 II Casing | Samsung SyncMaster XL2370 |

Laptop : Lenovo IdeaPad Y450
| Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce G110M 256MB |
| 4GB DDR3 SDRAM | Western Digital 320GB | 14.1' LED Backlit Screen |

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=73666&dateline=135279  2183
Crow_Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 11:52 AM   #20
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?

No that's not what it means. It means if you open Origin and look for that key it will no longer be there. The game still plays fine if it's still installed. A good idea would be to keep records of all your keys so you don't have to depend on someone else storing it for you (which is what Origin is doing). The same thing could happen if Steam lost all your data. I've made myself a txt file that I regularly edit with all my keys and related things I need to remember. Comes in quite handy and has saved my ass many times.
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64

Old 07-22-11, 12:18 PM   #21
bacon12

I just installed the client, and will check it out. I don't like it before I even tried it because my gaming life revolves around steam.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 12:28 PM   #22
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?

Quote:
I don't like it before I even tried it because my gaming life revolves around steam.
You need a girlfriend dude.
Old 07-22-11, 12:32 PM   #23
bacon12

I have two, and I am getting to old to juggle anymore.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-11, 06:55 PM   #24
ST:DS9

Does Origin have a Steam like Client that I can have it automatically run and logged on when I start my computer? If so, then I could see myself using Origin with this 24 month thing, but if not then I will never use Origin. Since Steam uses next to nill resources, I have no problem running another steam like application.
ST:DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote