Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-01-11, 10:11 PM   #13
nE0sIghT

Default Re: [bug report] 275.19 makes Gtk apps go into infinite loop when quitting, breaks Gn

280.13 doesn't fix this
nE0sIghT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-11, 10:04 PM   #14
rapsure

Default Re: [bug report] 275.19 makes Gtk apps go into infinite loop when quitting, breaks Gn

I tested 280.13 as well and the bug is still present.
rapsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-11, 09:46 PM   #15
tetromino

OP here. Bug is still present in 275.21 and 280.13.

Some additional things I've discovered:
* if an affected application is run from strace, gdb, or valgrind, the bug will not appear;
* if an affected application is run with __GL_NO_DSO_FINALIZER=1, the bug will not appear (but it's definitely not a long-term solution because, if I understand it right, it will lead to memory leaks in opengl applications);
* and setting __GL_SINGLE_THREADED=1 has no effect (the bug still appears).

Also, in addition to gnome-settings-daemon and gnome-session, every single terminal emulator that uses the vte library appears to be affected (gnome-terminal, xfce terminal, etc.), no matter whether they are gtk2-based or gtk3-based.

Some other people have apparently been able to work around the problem by building cairo with --disable-gl (USE="-opengl" in Gentoo parlance). However, for me that has no effect; on my machine, for both cairo-1.10.2 and the latest cairo git master HEAD, the affected gtk+ applications go into an infinite loop on exit no matter whether cairo was built with --disable-gl or --enable-gl.

Last edited by tetromino; 08-06-11 at 10:49 PM. Reason: typo
tetromino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-11, 08:21 PM   #16
tetromino

OP here. Bug is still present in 285.03 beta...
Old 08-29-11, 02:41 AM   #17
cthulhu
Great Old One

While I truely appreciate the hard work the good (but unfortunately few) Linux folks at NVIDIA put into this driver, this bug is another good example why open sourcing the driver would be an excellent idea. This bug was found over a month ago, but still plagues a lot of users. I'm confident that had the source been opened up to the community, this bug would've been fixed long ago. If more people had had a chance to look into the source this bug might've been found before causing problems like this one.
A rather large percentage of all Linux users are also NVIDIA users, some of thses are highly skilled developers. Just look at how far the talented people working on the nouveau driver has gotten without any help from NVIDIA. Imagine how far they would've gotten, had they received in the form of documentation from NVIDIA.
To this day the binary blob still lacks features like Kernel Mode Setting and proper randr support, while most open source drivers support both.

Sorry for the long rant, but this bug just reminds me of the benefits of open source.

EDIT: Clarification.
Laptop: Asus U6V, Core2Duo P8400, 3GB DDR2, 9300M GS
OS on all: Gentoo Linux

Bought a computer bundled with windows? Don't want to use windows? Demand a refund!
cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 04:38 PM   #18
Krellan

I can confirm this bug happens as well. On Gentoo, I'm now running:

nvidia-drivers-275.21
xorg-server-1.10.4

Josh
Krellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 05:09 AM   #19
Comrade DOS

It has been almost two months from the time the bug was found and it was reported. When he finally will be fixed?
At this point I can confirm the bug in all versions of drivers from 275.21 and 285.03 ending.
And regardless of the version of the x-server.
Comrade DOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-11, 12:05 PM   #20
ppurka

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhu View Post
While I truely appreciate the hard work the good (but unfortunately few) Linux folks at NVIDIA put into this driver, this bug is another good example why open sourcing the driver would be an excellent idea.
Sorry for the long rant, but this bug just reminds me of the benefits of open source.

EDIT: Clarification.
That bugs reported to open source projects get fixed quickly is a myth. Yes, some of them do get fixed quickly, but there are many that go on unfixed for years.
ppurka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-11, 08:52 AM   #21
cthulhu
Great Old One

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppurka View Post
That bugs reported to open source projects get fixed quickly is a myth. Yes, some of them do get fixed quickly, but there are many that go on unfixed for years.
While I tend to agree, you're missing a few key points. The NVIDIA blob has so many users, that the possible developer base is so large, that it would be highly unlikely, that bugs like these would live for very long.

Other OSS projects with smaller user bases often have long outstanding bugs, unless they have really dedicated maintainers.
Laptop: Asus U6V, Core2Duo P8400, 3GB DDR2, 9300M GS
OS on all: Gentoo Linux

Bought a computer bundled with windows? Don't want to use windows? Demand a refund!
cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-11, 02:12 PM   #22
ppurka

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhu View Post
While I tend to agree, you're missing a few key points. The NVIDIA blob has so many users, that the possible developer base is so large, that it would be highly unlikely, that bugs like these would live for very long.

Other OSS projects with smaller user bases often have long outstanding bugs, unless they have really dedicated maintainers.
Yes, smaller projects might lag behind, but even big projects like KDE and Xorg also have multiple-year long bugs. Even Firefox. You only have to do a search to find out these longstanding bugs.

I don't want to hijack the thread, so I will stop here.
ppurka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 02:32 AM   #23
tetromino

Smile Re: [bug report] 275.19 makes Gtk apps go into infinite loop when quitting, breaks Gn

Looks like this bug has finally been fixed in driver version 285.05.09.
Old 10-04-11, 09:40 AM   #24
nE0sIghT

Not for gdm 3.2.0
nE0sIghT is offline   Reply With Quote