Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-12-08, 06:08 AM   #1
MdMax

Default How to reduce maximum number of FPS ?

Hello.

I'm new to this forum and I have a question about the driver... Is there any way to reduce the maximum number of frames per second ?

I'm using the 173.12 driver on Ubuntu 8.04 with a 8800GT board. It's working fine. Now I noticed very high frame rates (above 150) when vsync was disabled on the driver. After vsync was enabled via nvidia-settings I noticed that the FPS where limited to 60. Great ! I can hear the difference ! Fan makes less noise ! Don't ask me if it was the CPU or GPU fan... But I saw also the difference on the Nvidia Thermal Monitor: less heat.

60Hz is my LCD screen refresh-rate. Render more frames that will never be displayed is just useless.

But now if I'm not using an action game, and I would like to tell the driver, "just render a maximum of 20 or 40 FPS... it's far enough for my needs..." Is there a hidden setting where I can do this ? If the driver is able to limit the frames to the screen refresh rate... I'm sure it would not be a big issue to limit the rendered frames rates to another value.

PS: I don't have an option like "FPS limit" in my games.

Thanks and best regards.
MdMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 06:50 AM   #2
XDanger
Whaaat?

Default Re: How to reduce maximum number of FPS ?

which games? Some will have settings you can adjust.

20fps is strange needs.
I always thought 25fps was the minimum needed to give the effect of movement.

Also ,Wrong forum...
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14
Then again ,Looks kinda dead in there.

Underclocking might be another solution.
Or if you like cool and quiet install an Accelero S1.
Old 09-12-08, 07:31 AM   #3
MdMax

Yes ! In an action game, or a car race simulation I would even recommend a minimum of 30 or even 40 FPS. In some multiplayer 1st person shooter and with a fast refreshing mouse, this can save your "life".

But in a Flight Simulator (like X-Plane) where you can online train air traffic control procedures, or in a metaverse (like Second Life) where you can build objects, it's often just completely useless to render 60FPS.

I would like to be able to set the maximum to 40FPS or less. It's a question of heat, fan noise, energy waste... and maybe also GPU lifetime (yes I already have a very good copper heatsink and "silent" fan).

Also, I don't want to underclock... underclocking will also reduce minimum framerates when you need them most. I just want to limit the maximum. And in some situations, 60FPS (screen refresh rate) is just too much.

PS: It's not only a question about Linux. I still have a multiboot with Windows XP on an older computer, so it's more a question about the official Nvidia drivers, whatever the operating system.
Old 09-12-08, 09:49 AM   #4
XDanger
Whaaat?

Maybe a future driver will be more "green", Something like this

I doubt building stuff in SL creates that much stress on a gpu though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdMax View Post
It's a question of heat, fan noise, energy waste... and maybe also GPU lifetime (yes I already have a very good copper heatsink and "silent" fan).
You could set the gpu/mem to throttle at specific moments with Rivatuner if you are that worried.
Old 09-12-08, 10:30 AM   #5
MdMax

I have read all this PowerMizer stuff... it looks nice. On my notebook it underclocks the GPU when it's not used (350MHz to 100MHz for the core clock), and it works fine on the OS desktop even when some 3D effects are enabled (Beryl).

But that stops to work once you launch a game. Most 3D applications or games will just make a loop and try to render as much FPS as possible without any limit. This unables the PoweMizer temporary underclocking and the driver just increases the clock again for maximum performance.

I really miss a "FPS limit" option inside the driver. If driver is able to limit at 60FPS because of screen sync, it should be able to limit at 30FPS (or better... a value that I can choose). This option would be a real step forward for a more "green" gaming, or let's better say, less energy waste.

You think Nvidia employees are reading this forum ? I also asked here.

I must admit that I only have this question since I'm using a E8400 + 8800GT desktop, and worry about the heat of my T5450 + 8600M GS notebook. My previous computers (PIII) where not able to reach even 40FPS in similar situations, and with lower graphic settings.
Old 09-12-08, 12:27 PM   #6
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

kevpla?
SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 07:55 PM   #7
dxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdMax View Post
Hello.

I'm new to this forum and I have a question about the driver... Is there any way to reduce the maximum number of frames per second ?

I'm using the 173.12 driver on Ubuntu 8.04 with a 8800GT board. It's working fine. Now I noticed very high frame rates (above 150) when vsync was disabled on the driver. After vsync was enabled via nvidia-settings I noticed that the FPS where limited to 60. Great ! I can hear the difference ! Fan makes less noise ! Don't ask me if it was the CPU or GPU fan... But I saw also the difference on the Nvidia Thermal Monitor: less heat.

60Hz is my LCD screen refresh-rate. Render more frames that will never be displayed is just useless.

But now if I'm not using an action game, and I would like to tell the driver, "just render a maximum of 20 or 40 FPS... it's far enough for my needs..." Is there a hidden setting where I can do this ? If the driver is able to limit the frames to the screen refresh rate... I'm sure it would not be a big issue to limit the rendered frames rates to another value.

PS: I don't have an option like "FPS limit" in my games.

Thanks and best regards.
I like you, MdMax. You seem like the sort of guy who likes to think about things and work out better ways. I always admire this sort of a quality in someone.

Anyway, back to the point, what you're looking to do is, if you've got suitably accepting hardware, relatively easy to accomplish. The trick you've already used to limit framerates by enabling the VSync can just be recycled. Way to do it is to use the nVidia control panel to create custom resolutions, each at refresh rates at your desired speed. Switch between the refresh rates using either a key combo, or applying to your EXEs, or by using the in-game resolution list, which usually draws from the list Windows provides, whcih you're able to add to using custom resolutions.
dxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 10:18 PM   #8
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?

This is about the stupidist thread I've ever read. This thread needs to be moved to the Mario Brothers forum (where ever the hell that is).
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-08, 06:46 AM   #9
MdMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
This is about the stupidist thread I've ever read. This thread needs to be moved to the Mario Brothers forum (where ever the hell that is).
Mike, SLippe, well sorry I didn't expect children will read my post...

Dxx, thank you for your answer. You were right. My monitor accepts to work at 40Hz. But custom modes can bring problems with some games...

But to show how it more clearly I decided to measure the power usage of my system. Rendering useless frames can mean using 25W more power. I guess the waste is far more important on SLI systems or high end systems.

More about my test here:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=77084

Best regards.
Old 12-31-11, 04:37 AM   #10
MdMax

Thumbs up Re: How to reduce maximum number of FPS ?

I'm glad Nvidia is now considering adding this feature in their drivers !
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...&#entry1289441