Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-27-11, 10:44 AM   #1
HiCZoK4

Default Ferrite bead

Ok so now I am getting confused here. I am working as an IT folk and ive got 4 clips ferrite beads from my administrator. Basicly Ive mentioned to him that I can hear my usb pendrive working when I also have my headphones plugged in front of my pc case and we've had a little discussion which ended up with him suggesting using ferrite on inside cables of my pc.

I understand and agree and all but once Ive started to look deeper into it Ive noticed that Ferrite is used mostly on some usb and vga cables. If that is so important to shield cables from esd, then why isnt it used on all cables like Hdmi cables, power cables, headphones, jacks and so on and so on.
Wouldnt it be wise to use it on anything ?

I heavent yet tried installing that ferrite in my pc(maybe later-now I am tired)

have You ever heard about that? What is You opinion on this crap?
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-11, 03:38 PM   #2
HiCZoK4

Default Re: Ferrite bead

One more question. Would it reduce quality when clipped on headphones cable?
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 10:15 AM   #3
lduguay
Un-Ripped

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCZoK4 View Post
Ok so now I am getting confused here. I am working as an IT folk and ive got 4 clips ferrite beads from my administrator. Basicly Ive mentioned to him that I can hear my usb pendrive working when I also have my headphones plugged in front of my pc case and we've had a little discussion which ended up with him suggesting using ferrite on inside cables of my pc.

I understand and agree and all but once Ive started to look deeper into it Ive noticed that Ferrite is used mostly on some usb and vga cables. If that is so important to shield cables from esd, then why isnt it used on all cables like Hdmi cables, power cables, headphones, jacks and so on and so on.
Wouldnt it be wise to use it on anything ?

I heavent yet tried installing that ferrite in my pc(maybe later-now I am tired)

have You ever heard about that? What is You opinion on this crap?
HDMI cables are immune to EMI, because of the way the signal is transfered (differential), so a ferrite core is useless for that application. You can use a ferrite clamp or beads on cheap cables (USB, internal PC audio cables, power cable, VGA). Good cable with an adequate shield does not require ferrite cores.

Evga X58|I7 965 3.8GHz|Ultra 120 Extreme|Evga GTX 480 SC|2 x Intel X25-M 80GB RAID 0|Intel 520 - 240 GB|WD Black Caviar 1TB|6GB Corsair XMS3 1600C8 |Corsair 1000W PSU|Antec Twelve-Hundred|DELL U3011|Logitech G500|Logitech G19
lduguay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 10:18 AM   #4
lduguay
Un-Ripped

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCZoK4 View Post
One more question. Would it reduce quality when clipped on headphones cable?
Not at all, ferrite cores are entirely passive and dissipate high frequency electromagnetic emissions into low energy heat. Unless your headphone cable is really low quality, you will not hear any difference in the audio quality.

Evga X58|I7 965 3.8GHz|Ultra 120 Extreme|Evga GTX 480 SC|2 x Intel X25-M 80GB RAID 0|Intel 520 - 240 GB|WD Black Caviar 1TB|6GB Corsair XMS3 1600C8 |Corsair 1000W PSU|Antec Twelve-Hundred|DELL U3011|Logitech G500|Logitech G19
lduguay is offline   Reply With Quote