Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-27-11, 01:32 PM   #1
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar
Default New case and liquid cooling on the way

Well, I've decided to bite the bullet and go back to liquid cooling. the summer heat has my cpu load temps in the high 90's *C when video encoding and they're staying there for hours on end. No stability issues but I just don't like them that high for so long.

My Lian Li case right now isn't really the worlds best for liquid so I splurged and got the Obsidian 650D that I've been drooling over for the last 6 months.

After seeing some examples of liquid setups in this case, I decided to go with the XPSC Rasa 240 kit from frozen cpu

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11...ngqk&mv_pc=582

I considered the one with the larger radiator but decided against it due to possible clearance issues in the top of the case and the fact that it could very well be perfectly fine for keeping my 920 cooled. I can always add another 120mm rad in the back port or one in the front but I doubt it will come to that.

everything will hopefully be here by this weekend so I'll update this thread once the stuff shows up.

4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-11, 01:52 PM   #2
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Default Re: New case and liquid cooling on the way

That's a very nice kit. Should have no problem with your 920 @4ghz.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-11, 02:16 PM   #3
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

should be sick.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 02:42 AM   #4
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Hope you feel better soon bob.

I'm considering going back to water for at least my CPU. I'll have to research it some. blocks can be hard to get here. Even more so if I want to put my 260GTX and 590GTX in the loop.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 11:13 AM   #5
bob saget

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Hope you feel better soon bob.

Old 07-31-11, 11:28 AM   #6
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

All done!!

The case in a word is astonishing. Absolutely amazing build quality, every single inch of space in the case has been carefully laid out to offer exceptional wire management, cable routing and water cooling.

SATA cable routing

Rear facing cables for the harddrives. I'm considering swapping these for right angle plug cables.

The massive array of cabling There is about a half inch of space between the back of the chassis and the side panel so the panel fits on without any problems despite this huge mess.

Nicely lapped water block. about as good as I can ask for for the price I paid. My thermalrite ultra heatsink wasn't even remotely this good and ended up having to hand lap it for an hour to get it to a mirror shine.

Water block mounted

Dual 120mm radiator mounted with noctua fans. I didn't use the fans that came with it despite them being nice yate loons as I think the noctuas perform better.

This kit has the slim radiator. I ended up having to get this due to potential clearance issues with the motherboard connectors. It was either get the thicker rad and mount the fans on the top outside of the case (ghetto) or get the thinner one to keep the fans in the case.

And probably my favorite part of this kit is the 2 in 1 pump/reservoir. I attache the tubing with enough slack in it to be able to slide out the reservoir enough that I can refill it. You basically fill the tank up, power up the system, let it start pumping it through the loop and simply keep filling up the tank until there's about a half inch of empty space in the reservoir.

Filled up, leak testing letting the air bubbles work their way out and the finished product!

My impressions overall are incredibly positive. I think that the case is a work of art both inside and out. I love the understated exterior, the simplicity of it. The little flip down panel above the bluray drive has 2 usb 2.0 ports, 2 usb 3.0 ports, firewire, audio ports and on the top is a sliding panel that reveals a hot swap SATA harddrive dock

The large front grille pushes in and clicks out for easy removal/cleaning of the front fan mesh filter. The filter on the bottom of the case under the power supply fan simply clicks and slides straight out from the back. I seriously cannot find ONE thing I dislike about this case. Every computer I've built, I've used a top of the line enthusiast case (coolermaster wave master, lian li and now this) and until this case, I've had to live with one or two minor little inconveniences and accepted those compromises but with this, there simply are none. NONE. I think the only thing that any reviewer has found negative about the case is the fact that the front USB3.0 header cable has to plug into the motherboard's rear usb3.0 port instead of connecting to a header connection on the motherboard itself.

Since my motherboard doens't have usb 3.0 That's not an issue for me.

The cooling kit performs on par with my huge heatsink cooler but is SO quiet. Amazingly quiet.

I'm planning on adding a rear 120mm radiator to the setup soon though simply because my load temperatures are still pretty high (high 90's *C) and I do a lot of video encoding on this machine which essentially pushes every core to 100% use for up to an hour or 2 and I don't really want it at that high of a temp for that long (despite it already having been doing this for over 2 years now with zero problems)

Anyways... that's that.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
Old 07-31-11, 11:36 AM   #7
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Looks nice!

You shouldn't be anywhere near 90c though. Unless your ambient temp is around 100f, then you have a problem. You might want to switch back to the Yate Loons since they are better for radiators. Maybe make sure the radiator is getting cool air too. Try switching the fan direction and see how temps are then.
Old 07-31-11, 11:41 AM   #8
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Looks nice!

You shouldn't be anywhere near 90c though. Unless your ambient temp is around 100f, then you have a problem. You might want to switch back to the Yate Loons since they are better for radiators. Maybe make sure the radiator is getting cool air too. Try switching the fan direction and see how temps are then.
No that's a normal temp for the D0 920 processors when pushed really hard. They run notoriously hot. The stock cooler ran hot at stock temps, the thermalrite ultra cooler ran the same as well.

The motherboard's default temp for the CPU speed throttling is 100*C and shutdown temp is 110*C.

- Server -

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012

Old 07-31-11, 11:46 AM   #9
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar View Post
No that's a normal temp for the D0 920 processors when pushed really hard. They run notoriously hot. The stock cooler ran hot at stock temps, the thermalrite ultra cooler ran the same as well.

The motherboard's default temp for the CPU speed throttling is 100*C and shutdown temp is 110*C.
Uh, no. With my CPU just under water, similar setup to yours, It would barely touch 60c load on a hot day. I noticed you lapped your cpu, have you checked how the thermal paste contact is?
Old 07-31-11, 12:53 PM   #10
bob saget

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
That's a beautiful case indeed! I like it a lot. Much better than those ugly ass HAF cases for example
Old 07-31-11, 01:10 PM   #11
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
It's ok bob, I still love you.
Old 07-31-11, 01:11 PM   #12
bob saget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
It's ok bob, I still love you.
i got some great pics of my new filters very aesthetically pleasing....now if only i could find my camera cable...