Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-23-11, 10:08 PM   #1
bugfood

Default strange "checkerboard" tearing with xv

Hi,

I have a problem with the xv output on my system: when I play a video in full screen, or at least scaled to a higher resolution, I see strange tearing artifacts on an intermittent basis. I'm familiar with tearing causing a horizontal line dividing up the screen, but this tearing ends up making one or more horizontal bands, and these bands have irregular "checkerboard" edges.

I did some research and found that some people had disabled the X composite extension to solve tearing issues. This has no effect for me.

Rebooting or power cycling has no effect.

This has persisted across many kernel versions and nvidia driver versions (either installed with nvidia-installer or from Debian packages).

I see these problems using mplayer and using vlc.

Opengl, vdpau, and x11 output do not have this problem, though of course x11 output has no vsync and gets "normal" tearing.

Enabling or disabling "Sync to VBlank" in nvidia-settings does not seem to have an effect.

I managed to capture some examples by taking a video of the monitor. I will attach a few screnshots from that video.

Thanks for any help or ideas, and let me know if there is anything I should test.

Thanks,
Corey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00000178.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	43087  Click image for larger version

Name:	00001614.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	43088  Click image for larger version

Name:	00002017.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	43089  
Attached Files
File Type: log xvinfo.log (3.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (84.0 KB, 70 views)
bugfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-11, 04:52 PM   #2
bugfood

Default Re: strange "checkerboard" tearing with xv

Update: I wanted to see if this is an issue with my current OS install, so I freshly installed Debian Stable on a USB stick, upgraded the kernel to 2.6.39 and installed nvidia drivers version 275.09.07. Same problem.

I then took that same USB stick and put it in my old computer, which has an AGP 6800 GT card. No problem there. So, I guess this is either a bug roughly specific to my GTX 460 or a hardware problem.
bugfood is offline   Reply With Quote