Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-31-11, 02:48 AM   #1
Redeemed

Default What I want...

Star Trek RPG. Completely first person, but third person optional- like Oblivion.

I want to start out as a cadet and have the ability to progress my skills to eventually become captain of a Starship.

Yes, this has everything to do with my recently going through and watching all of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

I look at ensign Crusher and think how awesome it'd be to play his role in a video game, slowly progressing through the ranks of the Federation untill, eventually, becoming captain of my own ship.

It'd be amazing! By nature, there really isn't a "main quest". It's a series of random quests- the only "main quest" being pure exploration and knowledge gathering of the galaxy.

I'm not certain it'd be possible to make this a SP game, though I'd not mind if it were- only done correctly.

Just due to the vastness however, I'd imagine it'd have to be an MMORPG. Which would work fine. Everybody would have a role for their character. Don't like your present role? Do something to change it. You have Klingons, you have Romulans, you have Borg which- like the Death Knights in WoW, wouldn't be available till much later in the game due to their obvious advantage over the other races.

Wouldn't it be a blast? I'd love to partake in an away team, exploring the mysteries of some planet just to be ambushed by the greedy Farangie and thus an epic phaser-battle commences. Meanwhile, above, my Starship is engaged in confrontation with a Farangie battle ship. Unable to beam aboard my own ship due to it's shields being up, I'm stuck to some how resolve this conflict with the Farangie- preferably peacefully but forcefully only if absolutely necessary. It'd require thought, quick thinking, and chance.

So many other combinations of events- how about the Borg testing the Federation's strengths? A battle with the Borg! Not only are the ships of the Federation in battle with the Borg cubes, but the borg have boarded the Federation ships and are taking crew members to be assimilated into their collective. So now you've got to fight the borg invaders in the corridors of your own Starship. And if you're captured, then you've got to find a way to escape the Borg and make it back to your starship, or at least off of the Borg cube.

C'mon, I can't be the only one here, the only gamer, that'd find that to be a pure blast. Anybody esle think such a game would be a new level of epic?
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-11, 03:28 AM   #2
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon
Default Re: What I want...

Yeah, Star Trek is pretty nice

Used to watch all the episodes on tv years ago. There has been quite a few star trek games but like most licensed games they turned crap.

brings me back years ago to the early consoles/computers where i played Buck Rogers, Captain Blood, Elite and Frontier a lot.

Wasn't there a star trek mmo released a few years back? I've no idea if it's still going. I was too busy playing other mmo's
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-11, 03:47 AM   #3
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EciDemon View Post
Yeah, Star Trek is pretty nice

Used to watch all the episodes on tv years ago. There has been quite a few star trek games but like most licensed games they turned crap.

brings me back years ago to the early consoles/computers where i played Buck Rogers, Captain Blood, Elite and Frontier a lot.

Wasn't there a star trek mmo released a few years back? I've no idea if it's still going. I was too busy playing other mmo's
I believe there was a Star Trek game a few years back, not sure if it was an MMO. The only mildly popular Star Trek games I'm aware of are the Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force games. I still have the first one, never did play the second. May have to hunt down a copy of it though.

But it seems that you do agree that if emplemented correctly this could be an extraordinary game. Hopefully some of the lurkers to the website are people with pull at a game developer, one that could pull off such a game flawlessly. It'd have to be of the magnitude of WoW, at a minimum, for it to take off. I'm referring to the size of complexity of the WoW world and universe. Though WoW's present size and complexity now would likely have to be the initial size of such a Star Trek game, meaning as the years progress it's size would as well- hundreds to thousands of new worlds, hundreds of hours of new quests and encounters being added.

The complicated part- unity. Where as in WoW everybody goes through the exact same occorance at least once, breaking any deep involvement into the games over all plot- this Star Trek game would have to be much more dynamic. I don't want to go through the exact same "dungeon" or "quest" hundreds of other players went through... I'd want each "quest" to be unique to the players partaking in it. Example- if Starship A sends down an away team to planet Whatever, and a few hours later I send down an away team to the same planet- I do not want to go through want Starship A had already gone through- I want to see the effects of their presence there. I want to see the remnants of any battles, or new friendships, etc.

Honestly, the technology for such a game may not yet exist. But such a thriving, dynamic game world would indeed be incredible. There is a scary side to this for me though- I've yet to play a game that I truly got addicted to. Such a game as this, however, would likely become an addiction for me.
Old 07-31-11, 07:22 AM   #4
Fotis
Radeforce GTX7970

IMO the best Star Trek game experiences were Elite Force I and Bridge Commander.
Anyway a star trek rpg would be great but I dont think they'll going back to the TNG universe.

There is a Star Trek game coming though in 2012
Intel Core i7 920 @3.8GHz|Corsair H50|MSI X58 Platinum|3x2GB Mushkin DDR3 1600 7-8-7-20|Gigabyte Radeon 7970 OC 3GB windforce|Samsung SSD 830 256GB/Intel SSD X25M 80GB|Seagate Ext. 2TB eSata|Corsair TX 750W|Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 7000|Silverstone Grandia GD-01 MX Black|Dell UltraSharp U2412M| Windows 7 x64 Pro
Fotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-11, 10:47 AM   #5
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotis View Post
IMO the best Star Trek game experiences were Elite Force I and Bridge Commander.
Anyway a star trek rpg would be great but I dont think they'll going back to the TNG universe.

There is a Star Trek game coming though in 2012
Oh it wouldn't have to be in the TNG universe, that was merely an example.

Gonna' have to keep my eye on that game, sounds intriguing so far.
Old 07-31-11, 10:53 AM   #6
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

I'm not really a die hard Star Trek fan but I just love science fiction in general and I always thought Star Trek did good in this department The premise is brilliant, exploration to go where no one has gone before so It directly speaks to our sense of adventure
That and I do know how to do the Vulcan greeting

I looked up the Star Trek mmo, its Star Trek Online. Guess the devs really went out of their way to be original with the title
Fairly mediocre user reviews.

You know I really miss dynamic games like many used to be in the past. Elder Scrolls 2: Dagger Fall had all the quests and missions (except for main story quest) to be randomly generated taking place in random generated dungeons. Sure after a while you started to notice patterns but it was still great as a second play through would never be exactly the same as names, locations and cities were always different. Hellgate London had a stab at this but dang that was a boring game.
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-11, 11:57 AM   #7
grey_1

I'd watch grass grow before I'd watch another Star Trek episode. I've seen them all at least 5 times each

Forget Crusher though, he's the Will Robinson of Star Trek. Start off with Spock, but you get to decide how human he becomes while mind melding with Uhura.....
Old 07-31-11, 12:00 PM   #8
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
I'd watch grass grow before I'd watch another Star Trek episode. I've seen them all at least 5 times each

Forget Crusher though, he's the Will Robinson of Star Trek. Start off with Spock, but you get to decide how human he becomes while mind melding with Uhura.....

Sent from my HTC Inspire™ 4G using Tapatalk
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-11, 12:06 PM   #9
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post

Whoa!

Can't imagine watching each episode at least 5 times... impressive!
Old 07-31-11, 01:14 PM   #10
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

which way to the star wars convention? the golden bikini is starting to chafe.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-11, 11:49 PM   #11
mojoman0

What I want is the carefree mindset of a kid back so that I could enjoy playing a game like that
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 12:07 AM   #12
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Fallen was pretty good.
8 Gigs Kingston 1333 DD3
Asus VH238H 23" LED 2ms
WD 1TB Caviar Black 64MB cache SATA 6 Gb/s
CM Silent Pro 850 Watt

Band: http://www.myspace.com/hollowappostle
Fuku2 is offline   Reply With Quote