Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-01-11, 12:12 PM   #1
Moo
*BANNNED*

Default You cannot play Diablo 3 offline

Oh snap.

Quote:
Remember when you first heard stuff like how either Steam or StarCraft 2 require you to be online for authentication purposes? That the process to play or utilize either service offline can be a bit circuitous, but at least it's still possible to be offline. But, Diablo 3 differs in that you must be online to play at all -- not just for authentication.

Executive vice president of game design Rob Pardo notes that the wealth of improvements and features Diablo 3 brings to Battle.net necessitate the always-online requirement. Specific additions that he refers to include:

A persistent friends list.
Cross-game chat via the RealID system.
Persistent characters that are stored server-side (no more having to play online once every 90 days, nor item duplication cheats).
Persistent party system.
Player-versus-player and public game matchmaking.
Dynamic drop-in/out for co-op
Larger item stash that gets shared among all of your characters (at the moment, up to 10)
The auction house, outlined here.
The Achievement system and detailed stat-tracking, both of which feed into the final point:
The Banner system, a visual way to display your prowess in the game. Banners start out like emblems, where you can choose from an array of symbols, patterns, and overall shape/design. Then, you can tweak its appearance through Achievements and other accomplishments. Examples Pardo cites include whether the character is in Hardcore mode, how many Achievements have been earned, how many PVP victories, and so forth. Additionally, the Banners also have gameplay features; in-game, rather than use Town Portal, you can click on a player's Banner to instantly teleport over to said player.

While Pardo recognizes that people sometimes want or need to play offline (such as internet outages, or playing on a laptop during an airplane flight), he notes that the increased security, plus benefits like the above, outweigh those other concerns. "I want to play Diablo 3 on my laptop in a plane, but, well, there are other games to play for times like that."
http://www.1up.com/news/diablo-3-req...e-when-playing
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 12:58 PM   #2
Vardant

Default Re: You cannot play Diablo 3 offline

It sucks and the major part is probably an anti-piracy measure, because I can't see a reason, why not to include offline SP, where you wouldn't be able to export your character anywhere.
On the other hand, they already cut LAN from SC2, so it's not that surprising and it's not as bad to have this in a mostly MP game, unlike what Ubisoft is doing again.

Not sure about the crack. Although Chinese guys have managed to crack Starcraft 2 after a year, it is nowhere near at the level to be actually usable as was the Starcraft one. And before somebody starts saying, that it is a good thing, you have to consider the fact, that it greatly improved the way progamers could train with people all over the world with better ping, better ladder system etc.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 01:48 PM   #3
Bman212121

The main thing is all of the accounts are stored on a server. I can understand the reasoning for that because it allows them to bind a cd key to an account and make it harder to cheat. It simplies things for Blizzard because you can't crack the game since a significant amount of data isn't actually stored on your pc.

This game is essentially WoW with smaller parties and more realms.

@vardant: I think the main reason for not wanting offline SP is because everyone has to have stats now, so letting people cheat in games isn't allowed anymore since it would mess up the precious stats system. Not going to disagree that anti piracy doesn't play a big role though.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 01:51 PM   #4
Moo
*BANNNED*

This is why I will be buying Torchlight 2 instead had tremendous fun with T1, there were some great mods.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 02:31 PM   #5
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
This game is essentially WoW with smaller parties and more realms.
O_o have you ever played WoW? Because this is a fairly absurd thing to say. Not trying to be fanboyish but not having offline SP enabled is really a non-issue. Especially with the real cash auction house. There is one similarity with WoW - D3 can be a second job only you can make money doing it.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 03:15 PM   #6
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09 View Post
O_o have you ever played WoW? Because this is a fairly absurd thing to say. Not trying to be fanboyish but not having offline SP enabled is really a non-issue. Especially with the real cash auction house. There is one similarity with WoW - D3 can be a second job only you can make money doing it.
Which is probably another reason there will be no offline play.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 03:17 PM   #7
ViN86

I think this is more because of cheaters rather than pirates.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 03:19 PM   #8
ElL33t
Brobama

While this does suck, I will be playing this almost exclusively with my online buddies. I can see how it will affect those with out intertubes or are away from a connection for any period of time.
ElL33t is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-11, 04:09 PM   #9
mojoman0

who even plays games on computers that arent connected to the internet anymore?
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 04:38 PM   #10
Bah!

Quote:
Diablo III will require a constant internet connection to play (thanks bluesnews)
Player-driven, real money online Auction House
No set launch date for beta or the game
Beta will feature the first section of Act I from story mode (a few hours worth of content)
Set in town of Tristram, stop the zombies, slay a skeleton king
No attribute or skill points in Diablo III, unlock new skills as you level, and attributes increase automatically
Customization using Runestones
Only the Witch Doctor uses mana
Buy and sell items through inventory screen rather than going into town
Loot drops are unique to each player
Ninja-looting is not possible
Skill system has been re-vamped
Battle.net 2.0 will include public games, a PvP matchmaking system, a quick-join system, and co-op option
The two in bold are much worse than having to stay connected while you play.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 04:45 PM   #11
ElL33t
Brobama

You don't have to use the auction house. It shouldn't even be a problem for me. My understanding is it has no bearing on your game.
ElL33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 05:58 PM   #12
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09 View Post
Not that absurd... Both are RPG like with leveling, questing, and parties... They have persistant worlds as well. I'm sure there is a lot more you can do in WoW but on the surface they follow the same concept.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote