Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-02-11, 02:55 PM   #13
grey_1

Default Re: Unexpected upgrade...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
And thus my only problem- can't say I'm doing this out of need. I really am not gaming much at all anymore. the time I do spend on my rig is either here at nVnews, or watching ST:TNG episodes. Kinda' hard to go into debt when there's not much pushing you to do it.

But you're absolutely right- $150 after MIR is amazing, especially for a card of that caliber. I wish they'd let you know how long that rebate will be available.

Maybe I should just get the two cards for now. It's $250 minimum for BillMeLater, and that'd be about $300 I think. I could have that paid off with my second paycheck. If I'm pleased with the BillMeLater service, maybe I'll use it again to purchase the rest of the hardware to upgrade my buddy's rigs. Kinda' use these two cards as a test run and see how I like the BillMeLater service.

Ah- the tough decisions in life.
I know right?
Old 08-03-11, 03:43 AM   #14
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

I never used the pay later options when buying new hardware, but if I know i'll be cutting it close I always say to my self: If I'll have to eat noodles the rest of the month so be it this baby is coming home with me!

Standing around thinking about it too much never makes it easier
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-11, 08:30 AM   #15
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EciDemon View Post
I never used the pay later options when buying new hardware, but if I know i'll be cutting it close I always say to my self: If I'll have to eat noodles the rest of the month so be it this baby is coming home with me!

Standing around thinking about it too much never makes it easier
+1 That usually results in a purchase and an excuse for me.

The purchase because I want it.

The excuse to explain to the wife why.
Old 08-03-11, 09:01 AM   #16
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

Oh I wouldn't worry too much, it's just a matter of agreeing that the two of you like to buy different things

Else, you could strategically remind the wife that the new 11th pair of shoes ain't gonna make the old 10 pairs start walking by them selves
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-11, 09:40 AM   #17
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EciDemon View Post
Oh I wouldn't worry too much, it's just a matter of agreeing that the two of you like to buy different things

Else, you could strategically remind the wife that the new 11th pair of shoes ain't gonna make the old 10 pairs start walking by them selves

I usually just buy her something pretty and shiny real quick like.....
Old 08-03-11, 02:51 PM   #18
grey_1

So Redeemed - did ya get it?
Old 08-03-11, 03:08 PM   #19
DiscipleDOC

DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-11, 02:14 AM   #20
Redeemed

No... at least not yet.

I can't pull the trigger. It's only $300, but I've no need for the added debt right now even though it'd be paid off with my next pay check. I'm not gaming much presently so these 7900's are doing fine for Netflix and the occassional game here or there.

Besides, as I stated in my OP I'll be going on a 5-day camping trip with my family, and since most of them are rather strapped I'm offering to foot a big portion of the expenses. Prioritize that much more than gaming hardware.

However, I will place the order after the camping trip, and unless there's an unrealistic sale on some other hardware I'll be picking up a 6850 or preferably a 6870.

Being honest- a big part of my decision to not purchase anything right now is that my older brother will likely be getting a divorce soon. It is literally devestating him as he will loose everything and have to move back in with our folks. I know his situation has no direct bearing on my finances and whether or not I purchase gaming hardware but... well, why buy it if I'm not gonna' use it, ya' know? Spending most my time on skype with the family and him, or on the phone... I don't need to be unnavailable cause I'm in a game.

I dunno- it's obviously a bit more complicated than that but that's the jist of it. Yeah, I'll get the card but I'm having to delay it for a brief moment.

Rest assured though when I do purchase it I will offer my impressions of it. I was rather pleased with my 5770 so I'm anticipating being extatic with the 6870.

Thanks all for your input and helping me come to a decision, very much appreciated.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-11, 03:45 AM   #21
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
So Redeemed - did ya get it?
Quote:
No... at least not yet............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................

Cool, enjoy the trip -
Old 08-04-11, 10:30 AM   #22
Redeemed

Quote:

Cool, enjoy the trip -
Yeah... it was like 1AM when I typed that... I'm surprised I managed complete sentences and spelled most the words correctly. But just got a bunch of other stuff going on and have no need for the card is the short of it I suppose.

Thanks my friend, I will most certainly enjoy this mini-vacation. We could all use it, that's for sure.
Old 08-04-11, 12:59 PM   #23
grey_1

Quote:
Yeah... it was like 1AM when I typed that... I'm surprised I managed complete sentences and spelled most the words correctly. But just got a bunch of other stuff going on and have no need for the card is the short of it I suppose.

Thanks my friend, I will most certainly enjoy this mini-vacation. We could all use it, that's for sure.
Same here.
Old 08-04-11, 09:51 PM   #24
Redeemed

Quote:
Same here.
Aww... now I feel kinda' bad. You got vacation time coming up? Gonna' do some perch fishin'. Pulled 30 out of the lake last time I went.