Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-04-11, 07:49 AM   #1
dairy hick
*BANNED*

Default What percentage of PS3 games give the option to scale? (plus audio question)

I know that the latest Motorstorm (fooled with it in gamestop) does but do most other games?

I haven't played anything not on my PC in ages, but I was thinking about maybe finally getting a PS3. I'm not going to buy a TV though, so that's why I'm asking.

Also, what percentage of PS3 games have their audio in lossless 2channel format (raw PCM or lossless compression)?
dairy hick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-11, 08:09 AM   #2
|MaguS|

Default Re: What percentage of PS3 games give the option to scale? (plus audio question)

The ps3 will scale video automatically to the maximum available resolution the your monitor supports and is enabled in the consoles settings.

As for audio, no clue.
Old 08-04-11, 09:38 AM   #3
dairy hick
*BANNED*

Default Re: What percentage of PS3 games give the option to scale? (plus audio question)

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
The ps3 will scale video automatically to the maximum available resolution the your monitor supports and is enabled in the consoles settings.

As for audio, no clue.
Thanks MaguS. But does that mean that 720p/1080 will be stretched on a 16:10 monitor?

What are the possible console settings? Does the PS3 have a system option for black bars or does the game have to support it?
Old 08-04-11, 10:42 AM   #4
jlippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairy hick View Post
Thanks MaguS. But does that mean that 720p/1080 will be stretched on a 16:10 monitor?

What are the possible console settings? Does the PS3 have a system option for black bars or does the game have to support it?
I'm pretty sure that ps3 doesn't support 16:10 output modes, so your monitor has to do the scaling and is responsible for any black bars or stretching.
jlippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-11, 05:25 PM   #5
dairy hick
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlippo View Post
I'm pretty sure that ps3 doesn't support 16:10 output modes, so your monitor has to do the scaling and is responsible for any black bars or stretching.
I had thought that was the case.

Thanks jlippo.
Old 08-04-11, 05:44 PM   #6
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

I used to have my ps3 connected to a 16:10 1680x1050 native res and a harman/kardon receiver for audio.
I had to set the ps3 to 720p which is fine as most games are renders internally at this res anyways and then up or down scaled, audio is set to optical out dts as preferred, linear pcm is on by default.

Now i got a 1080p display so i set the ps3 to that and i've had no problems at all.

I do think all ps3 game stores 2channel uncompressed audio, and many other stores lossless compressed multichannel if you got a reciever that supports it.

Either way you wont notice much difference as more then likely your receiver or speakers isn't good enough to pickup the difference. I got mine set to dts as I think its better then dolby in lossy compression and better captures the dynamic range. Not all games stores audio in lossless multichannel however they all support dts.
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 06:25 AM   #7
dairy hick
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EciDemon View Post
Either way you wont notice much difference as more then likely your receiver or speakers isn't good enough to pickup the difference. I got mine set to dts as I think its better then dolby in lossy compression and better captures the dynamic range. Not all games stores audio in lossless multichannel however they all support dts.
Thanks for reply Anyway, I won't be a buying a PS3, because the image will be stretched and I'm not going to buy another display until there is a glossy H-IPS with RGB LED, and 120Hz input out.

As for audio, I disagree. When I'm listening to music, lossless vs lossy makes a far greater difference than speakers, dac, or amplifier. After listening to lossy music for a while, it starts to sound really stale, due to low dynamic range.

I've always found it odd how many early CD games used raw uncompressed Redbook audio, then after that they went straight to lossy codecs generally never above 320KBps (some ADX files can be tolerable, and Ogg vorbis can be tolerable at 512KBps, but mp3s and itunes formats suck). I know that servers would have to use more bandwidth and more storage space would be required if lossy compression had never been invented, but I think it would've been worth every bit.

I've also been bothered by texture compression artifacts. I'd rather have smaller less detailed lossless textures than lossily compressed textures. 6:1 compression for HDR textures (as in DX11 specs) is ridiculous. Artifacts can already be seen with 4:1 lossy compression in many cases.
Old 08-10-11, 09:55 PM   #8
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

yeah unfortunately most ps3 and xbox 360 games is rendered in 720p internally and must be upscaled. There's but only a handful of true 1080p games.
Both the ps3 and the 360 does the upscaling so the display needs not take care of that. It was only in the early ps3 games where the display had to upscale to 1080p from 720p as sony didn't release complete info to devs about the internal scaler. On the 360 this was always automatic.

As for audio I was speaking generally, most people don't notice the difference but some do.
I notice the difference in dynamic range too as I've composed music for so many years and is used to listening
Ogg is far better then mp3 in maintaining the dynamic range across the bit rates.

Dts 5.1 is 1536 Kbps so its greater then mp3 and ogg.
while dolby 5.1 is 384kbps or 448kbps.
they both offer lossless 7.1 compression and the ps3 and games supports that however I don't think all games make use of it as it takes up a crap load of space.

Flac is a lossless format you can store your music in btw and I think it's open source like ogg.

If you really want good dynamic range closer to that of analogue recordings you need to go 24bit audio as it offers much better sound resolution so to get less sound aliasing when bitrate isnt a factor anymore but everything in your audio chain needs to support this. The ps3 does in the lossless formats.

I really like the new dx11 texture compression methods as they work much better with the multi colored detailed maps. as the old compression methods were ment for black and white.
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-11, 01:37 AM   #9
Ninja Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by EciDemon View Post
yeah unfortunately most ps3 and xbox 360 games is rendered in 720p internally and must be upscaled. There's but only a handful of true 1080p games.
Both the ps3 and the 360 does the upscaling so the display needs not take care of that. It was only in the early ps3 games where the display had to upscale to 1080p from 720p as sony didn't release complete info to devs about the internal scaler. On the 360 this was always automatic.

As for audio I was speaking generally, most people don't notice the difference but some do.
I notice the difference in dynamic range too as I've composed music for so many years and is used to listening
Ogg is far better then mp3 in maintaining the dynamic range across the bit rates.

Dts 5.1 is 1536 Kbps so its greater then mp3 and ogg.
while dolby 5.1 is 384kbps or 448kbps.
they both offer lossless 7.1 compression and the ps3 and games supports that however I don't think all games make use of it as it takes up a crap load of space.

Flac is a lossless format you can store your music in btw and I think it's open source like ogg.

If you really want good dynamic range closer to that of analogue recordings you need to go 24bit audio as it offers much better sound resolution so to get less sound aliasing when bitrate isnt a factor anymore but everything in your audio chain needs to support this. The ps3 does in the lossless formats.

I really like the new dx11 texture compression methods as they work much better with the multi colored detailed maps. as the old compression methods were ment for black and white.
IIRC, the problem with PS3 scaling is it doesn't have a hardware scaler. It has to use software scaling, which sucks, and eats into processor power. Luckly, the cell processor is good at just that, but it still needs a chunk of processor time.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote