Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-15-03, 11:44 AM   #1
MattCost

Unhappy X hangs on start

Hi all

im currently trying to set up the nividia drivers for my GF3 Ti 200, under
redhat 9.0.

when i startx the display hangs, and, more annoyingly i cant get out of it cleanly hence no XF86 log is generated. crt-alt-del etc dont work

if theres a way to get back out of this it would be ideal then i can check the logs more indepthly

It works fine with the nv drivers,

ive done, modprobe nvidia, this loads with some warnings (where can i examine these?)

and checked that /dev/nvidia* are installed,

i also checked the kernal log

this gives errors regarding hamboot and, the font path (set at unix:/7000).

anyhelp would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Matt
MattCost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-03, 10:14 AM   #2
Daraquir

Default Hello!

Hello!, I can be to no help, but I have the same type of graphic card, and same problem
I'm running on Gentoo, GF3 Ti 200, And I get that black screen, when I run startx and I can't exit it.. and worse, it corrupt's my hardrive, so I have to reinstall done it several time's already.. if I launch it again, without undoing the change's.

I have tried what it say's in the manual to do and suggestion's.. But it just fails..

I'm realy looking forward a solution for this

----

Daraquir
Daraquir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-03, 10:55 AM   #3
Krees

hum... seems nobody knows how to fix this.

I've actually been trying to fix this for a month+ now, using Mandrake 9.0 and then 9.1, with all the driver versions I could find. I've lost Linux mdk9.1 now (my HD has been corrupted too, I mean the /dev/hda5 onto which Linux is partially installed (/usr if I recall well)) so I'm a bit crossed at the idea of going through the lengthy process of full installation again (manual selection of packages I do need, like hp modules, Xemacs...).

Will it ever work ? With XP it's a real pleasure to see it works smoothly right after installation... but I DO need Linux indeed !
Old 08-18-03, 04:24 PM   #4
MattCost

well atleast this proves its not just me being inept

what mobo /cpu do you guys have,

ive got an XP1800, on gigabyte GX-7VTXE+.

could be some h/ware compatability issue?

Cheers

Matt
MattCost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-03, 07:03 PM   #5
XoD

Default Font server

Did you check that the font server is running on the same socket(in your case unix:/7000) than the one configured in your XF86Config file?
Give a try, could be that.
XoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-03, 06:46 AM   #6
Krees

Default will give it a try tonite

Thx guys for yr replies. I'll try the font server stuff. I've actually read quite a few threads here and at other locations, stating (again) that XFree86 v4 has loads of well-known bugs that could actually be tackled in several ways. First thing seeming relevant enough that i'll give a try is to change this :

Quote:
Also, change your display manager in Mandrake Control Center>Hardware>Display manager chooser. It's set to mdkKDM by default which I've found to be very bugy. Select either KDM or GDM; they work much better.
Then if it still fails, I'll try changing the AGP parameters (got an 8X AGP, will try 4x and 2x). Finally I'll try older drivers known to be more stable, like RPMs 3123.

My cfg : A7N8X deluxe PCB 1.04 with latest BIOS flashed, Leadtek Winfast Ti4200 LE TDH AGP8x ViVo (quite a good card, inexpensive considering what you get), 2x256Mo Samsung DDR PC2700 (in dual mode), Athlon XP 0,13 @ 11x166MHz = 1826MHz. My distro is mdk 9.1. Two 7200rpms IDE HDs (IBM 180GXP 120Go+WD30G).

I'll keep you informed...

Krees.

Last edited by Krees; 08-20-03 at 06:55 AM.
Krees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-03, 05:00 AM   #7
Krees

Default still stuck

Well, I've tried a few things yesterday night - not enough time to check it all, unfortunately...

GDM does not solve the problem, nor changing the NvAGP stuff... stuck, stick and restuck.

Attached are my cfg and log files (joined in a single file).

Krees.
Attached Files
File Type: log xf86config-4__and__xfree86.0.log (35.8 KB, 184 views)
Old 08-21-03, 05:34 AM   #8
XoD

Default This time AGP was fine...

This time the logs says that AGP init was ok... I'm running out of ideas based on the info you gave us... try to tweak the BIOS: disable AGP Fast Write and Side Band Addressing, check you assign an IRQ to the VGA(must be on)...
I'm thinking about something: if you can connect to the net just before you try to start X, we can arrange something to make me log on your system. Then I will investigate a bit more.
BTW, can you drop the output of dmesg too with your logs. Thx. I wanna check your kernel configuration.
XoD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-03, 04:55 AM   #9
eayzenshtat

I have a similar problem with GeForce4 MX440SE and RH9 (and nvidia driver v1.0-4496) except same thing happens with 'nv' or any other driver I've tried - system just hangs on black screen when X starts.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=16841

It's very strange...

E
eayzenshtat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-03, 04:58 AM   #10
StressCrash

i just posted a thread about this, im having the EXACT same problem, im using a geforce 3 ti 200, with slackware 9.0 i have been able to get the Nvidia drivers version 3123 to work, but all other versions will just give me a black screen and hang like a bastard while currupting random things on my system
StressCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-03, 07:08 AM   #11
SnapIT

Quote:
Originally posted by StressCrash
i just posted a thread about this, im having the EXACT same problem, im using a geforce 3 ti 200, with slackware 9.0 i have been able to get the Nvidia drivers version 3123 to work, but all other versions will just give me a black screen and hang like a bastard while currupting random things on my system
I can help you with that if you throw me a mail at snap.it@telia.com

But i have had lousy experiences with later drivers, just a warning, maybe a backup of the current drivers (i'll tell you how to do that too if you don't know) would be in place as replacing newer drivers with old ones does not always make the "make" happy..

I cannot post it for obvious reasons...
SnapIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-03, 05:31 PM   #12
eayzenshtat

Quote:
Originally posted by StressCrash
Where can I a get a copy of the v3123 drivers? I can only find the latest drivers on the NVIDIA's ftp...
eayzenshtat is offline   Reply With Quote