Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-09-11, 12:38 PM   #1
brunoramos

Default Minecraft Advanced OpenGL Black Screen with GeForce GTX 460M

Hello,

I'm having some problems with Minecraft when using the Advanced OpenGL option. The Minecraft windows turns completely black, however sound and music from the game continue to work properly without any glitches or artifacts.

This problem happens everytime I run the game with the Advanced OpenGL option enabled, sometimes sooner than others but it always ends up happening.

Something I noticed is that the Minecraft window grabs the mouse so I have to change virtual desktop with the keyboard shortcut to be able to move to other application. When I move to other application, while the problem is happening, I see no problem with the others things running in the machine.

I can "fix" the problem by doing the following:
- Change to a virtual console using for example ctrl+alt+f1
- Change back to current running X session ctrl+alt+f8

After these steps the game window show the image correctly and I can continue to play normally until the problems happens again.

I'm also attaching the nvidia bug report log file generated while running X with `startx -- -logverbose 6` like suggested in the man page of nvidia-bug-report.sh.

If you need some more information do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (109.0 KB, 73 views)
brunoramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 05:25 PM   #2
xorbe
Unbuffered User

Default Re: Minecraft Advanced OpenGL Black Screen with GeForce GTX 460M

The symptoms sound just like the Windows issue. The occasional black MC screen is caused by 32-bit Java on 64-bit Windows. No one really seems to know why, and it's a pita to find the 64-bit Java installer for Windows, but it cures the issue. Perhaps there is a correlation on Linux somehow.
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote