Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-10-11, 02:00 PM   #1
TheTaz

Default Wolfenstein and AA

Has anyone successfully forced AA in Wolfenstein (2009 Steam version) with nvidia Inspector?

If so, could you post a screenshot of your settings? I can't seem to get it to work.

I'm not sure if it's because I'm doing something wrong, or if my Video Card is too old (8800GTX).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Taz
TheTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-11, 02:06 PM   #2
Skinner

Default Re: Wolfenstein and AA

If I remember correctly, you have to use Stalker, ie XR_3DA.exe compatibilty to force AA (at least it worked with AMD and I thought with NV too).

2 or 4XSSAA cleared things up big time
*Intel i7@3,8gHz*Asus P6T Deluxe* 2x Sapphire HD7970 3GB Crossfire *6 GB Corsair Dominator 1600C8*OCZ Vertex 120 GB SSD*adaptec 19160U160*Intel X25 80 GB Quantum Atlas 15KII SCSI U160 147Gig* WD Raptor 300 GB*Apple 24" LED Cinema *X-Fi Titanium*Logitech Z5500*Coolmaster RP 1000W*W7 64 Home *
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-11, 02:43 PM   #3
TheTaz

I've tried both the Stalker compatibility Flag with Super sampling AA, and the Starcraft II compatibility setting with multi-sampling AA (which I found in another forum)... neither setting works.

Are you saying I have to have Stalker installed?!?!
Old 08-10-11, 03:00 PM   #4
|MaguS|

Should be any compatible with IDTech 4 compatibility flag.
Old 08-10-11, 04:52 PM   #5
TheTaz

There is no iD Tech 4 compatibility flag that I can see.
Old 08-10-11, 07:24 PM   #6
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTaz View Post
There is no iD Tech 4 compatibility flag that I can see.
I don't believe there is one. Devs disabled AA in this due to an incompatibility with the deferred lighting they used iirc. I tried every tip I could find on the web with the 4870 I had when I bought the game and later with my 480.

Never could make it work.
Old 08-10-11, 07:59 PM   #7
sucko_the_clown

Taz, you could try editing you Wolf.cfg file. scroll down to the line that reads "seta r_multiSamples "0" and change it to "8". let me know if this works.
Supermicro X8DA6 mobo / Evga 590 GTX / 2x 2.93GHZ Westmere Xeon / 12GB of Samsung DDR3 RAM / 240GB Corsair Force GT SSD / 480GB Corsair Force GT SSD / Samsung 470 series SSD / 3x Crucial M4 512 GB SSD / Plextor PX LB950SA BD Drive /Lite-on iHBS212 BD Drive / Asus VG236 3D 120Hz LCD / Creative X-Fi Fata1ity / Supermicro 747TG-R1400B-SQ Case / Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64
sucko_the_clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-11, 08:20 PM   #8
sillyeagle
sillyego

I don't know if this is helpful at all but in order to force AA in Mafia 2, which is also a steam game, I had to edit the nvidia driver profile. In Mafia 2 AA can be forced when using the Clive Barkers Jericho exe(Jericho.exe), however Steam always looks for and calls the original exe(mafia2.exe), so simply renaming the exe does not work.

What I had to do was export the driver profiles with Nvidia SLI Profile Tool, edit the Mafia 2 entry with the data from Jericho, and then re-import the profiles.

I currently have Wolfenstien on loan to my brother, so I can't mess with it my self, but here's what I had to do with Mafia 2.....

Quote:
1) Download Nvidia's SLI profile tool.
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2625

2) Run the tool and use the 'Export SLI Profiles' button to make a backup of your current profiles to a .txt file somewhere.

3) Edit a copy of the file you just exported and change the Mafia entry to look like:

Code:
Profile "Mafia II"
    ShowOn GeForce
    ProfileType Application
    Executable "mafia2.exe"
    Executable "mafia2_sc.exe"
    Setting ID_0x00d55f7d = 0x000d02c4
    Setting ID_0x1033cec1 = 0x00000003
    Setting ID_0x1033dcd2 = 0x00000004
    Setting ID_0x1095def8 = 0x00400005
EndProfile
4) Run the SLI profile tool and use the 'Import SLI Profiles' button to import the edited profile.

5) Now go to the Nvidia Control Panel and select Manage 3D settings, Program Settings tab, select 'Mafia II' and set it up the way you want it.
The relevant part of the edited Mafia II profile is "Setting ID_0x00d55f7d = 0x000d02c4", which is lifted from the Jericho profile and replaces one of the lines from the Mafia 2 profile.
EVGA Intel X58

Old 08-10-11, 09:38 PM   #9
TheTaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucko_the_clown View Post
Taz, you could try editing you Wolf.cfg file. scroll down to the line that reads "seta r_multiSamples "0" and change it to "8". let me know if this works.
Doesn't do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle View Post
I don't know if this is helpful at all but in order to force AA in Mafia 2, which is also a steam game, I had to edit the nvidia driver profile. In Mafia 2 AA can be forced when using the Clive Barkers Jericho exe(Jericho.exe), however Steam always looks for and calls the original exe(mafia2.exe), so simply renaming the exe does not work.
I'm not sure I understand this. Why would I use an SLI tool to modify the profile? Also, this is the second time someone mentioned using an EXE from another game... does that mean the other game has to be installed to?

Sorry... I've alawys just expceted the drivers to be able for force AA. I find it extremely irritating that devs would screw up this setting because of the way they want to do lighting. FSCHK the lighting!!!... I'd rather have the AA.
Old 08-10-11, 11:23 PM   #10
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Why would I use an SLI tool to modify the profile?
Thats just the name of the tool, but it's a tool used to export the game profiles from the video driver to a text file for editing.

Quote:
Also, this is the second time someone mentioned using an EXE from another game... does that mean the other game has to be installed to?
The other game does not need to be installed. Using an exe from another game simply means you rename the exe to the name of the other games exe, which in most cases tricks the video driver into thinking you are launching the other game.

For example, with the Mafia 2 demo, in order to force AA you needed to rename mafia2.exe to jericho.exe, which makes the video driver think it's loading Jericho and allows AA to be forced. With the steam version of Mafia 2 renaming the exe doesn't work, which is why the steps I posted above were required.

Since you are using a steam game I thought you might have to do a similar process, but it might not even work as you still need to find a profile that AA works with, and I don't know if one exists.

In any case some leg work will be required on your part since its seems nobody has found a work around yet, and if your not experienced enough to work something out your self you might be stuck with what you've got. I never got AA working right when I played Wolf, but after a while you won't notice it as much.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 08-11-11, 01:15 PM   #11
Skinner

Quote:
I've tried both the Stalker compatibility Flag with Super sampling AA, and the Starcraft II compatibility setting with multi-sampling AA (which I found in another forum)... neither setting works.

Are you saying I have to have Stalker installed?!?!
No you don't have Stalker to be installed to get it working.
And if you rename the exe to XR_3DA?

I don't have an nVidia GPU at the moment , so I cann't check it it.
There was a thread about it on the nhancer forums where I used to go when nhancer was alive, but the forum is closed, and with it, a ton of valuable info.

To clear things up, the SP campain have a dx9-renderer (their own engine) and the MP uses the openGL-renderer from ID.

Edit, you have to take a look at his thread, lots of info:

http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulle...d.php?t=490867
*Intel i7@3,8gHz*Asus P6T Deluxe* 2x Sapphire HD7970 3GB Crossfire *6 GB Corsair Dominator 1600C8*OCZ Vertex 120 GB SSD*adaptec 19160U160*Intel X25 80 GB Quantum Atlas 15KII SCSI U160 147Gig* WD Raptor 300 GB*Apple 24" LED Cinema *X-Fi Titanium*Logitech Z5500*Coolmaster RP 1000W*W7 64 Home *
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 07:47 PM   #12
TheTaz

Renaming the executable doesn't work since it's the steam version.

I also tried a copy... had both wolf2.exe and XR_3DA.exe in the same directory and launched XR_3DA.exe... game launches, but the fricken process still comes up as "wolf2.exe".