Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-13-11, 06:03 AM   #1
AngelGraves13

Default id Software's RAGE to use Steamworks and Steam Cloud

Note: Our Official RAGE Feedback Thread is located here.

RAGE on Steam

Shacknews: RAGE will use Steamworks

Quote:
Bethesda has confirmed that the PC version of id Software's upcoming shooter, Rage, will use Steamworks as its platform. The announcement was made via Twitter earlier today.

"Since folks are asking," the Tweet said, "We can confirm that Rage will use Steamworks on PC."

Launched in early January 2008, Steamworks is a development and publishing platform for PC games that gives devs access to all components of the Steam client, including digital rights management, authenication tools for peer-to-peer and server multiplayer games, voice communication, achievements, and more. Being Steamworks specific also means the PC version of Rage can be purchased from any distributor and added to a Steam account.

As the platform has evolved, it has been made more robust with the addition of elements such as Steam Cloud support, which allows game saves to be stored in the cloud and accessed on any computer with proper account credentials.

In August 2010, a placeholder page for Rage appeared on the Steam store, leading some to believe that the game would use Valve's Steamworks platform. Bethesda quickly shot the rumor down, saying the game's appearance was in indicative of any decision regarding platform. Rumblings began going in the other direction when the official Rage website was updated to include the Games for Windows logo, pointing at the possibility of Games for Windows Live, a competitor to Steamworks, would be the platform of choice for id Software.

Comments on the announcement within the Shacknews community have been positive, but the decision to launch Rage as a Steamworks game brings to mind what could have happened if history was slightly different.

In July 2008, id Software announced it had entered into a publishing agreement with EA to release Rage via its EA Partners program. During the summer of 2009, id Software was purchased by ZeniMax Media, the holding company that controls Bethesda Softworks, taking Rage with it. With recent changes to how games are patched and how new content is made available on Steam, EA has since opted to focus on offering its upcoming titles on its own digital platform, Origin.

Had ZeniMax not purchased id Software, things may have been different today.

Last edited by MikeC; 10-04-11 at 05:06 AM.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-11, 07:20 AM   #2
grey_1

Default Re: id Software's RAGE to use Steamworks and Steam Cloud

Quote:
Had ZeniMax not purchased id Software, things may have been different today.
Nice - with the talk of titles like Battlefield 3 requiring origin t play, EA would have surely done the same with Rage.

I'm plenty happy to use Steam for it.
Old 08-13-11, 10:19 AM   #3
Redeemed

This is definitely higher up on my purchase list than BF3. However, so far I don't mind Origin. It's not intrusive and for the most part works rather well.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-11, 11:19 AM   #4
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

It just depends how replay worthy this one is. I can see myself easily sinking hundreds of hours into BF3, but this one, not sure....
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-11, 07:20 PM   #5
K007

This is nice, that means i can get the key from another store where the game is @ USD instead.

I won't be getting BF3 though, i will wait it out, no need to rush if i got a bunch of other games.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-11, 09:53 PM   #6
K007

pre order via d2d. game is 49USD vs 90USD on steam!...
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-11, 04:53 AM   #7
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Nice - with the talk of titles like Battlefield 3 requiring origin t play, EA would have surely done the same with Rage.
Boo hoo
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-11, 05:48 AM   #8
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Boo hoo
Now there's a typical fan-girl reply.

Old 08-14-11, 05:59 AM   #9
Sean_W

I couldn't care less and I don't go around thinking all games should be on Steam. See you guys in BF3, oh wait.....
Old 08-14-11, 06:18 AM   #10
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
I couldn't care less and I don't go around thinking all games should be on Steam. See you guys in BF3, oh wait.....
Then what was the point of your idiotic comment? This forum has begun to suck because of guys like you and Mike89 or whatever his name is.

Don't dare express a different game/provider/genre/whatever preference or you're labeled a crybaby or fanboi

Used to think you were more of an adult than that, thanks for clearing it up.
Old 08-14-11, 06:58 AM   #11
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Don't feed the troll grey. It appears that Sean only came back to bitch about Steam users and derail threads.
You're right.
Old 08-14-11, 08:55 AM   #12
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Don't feed the troll grey. It appears that Sean only came back to bitch about Steam users and derail threads.
You mean like you trolled my thread? At least I have a point, unlike your malicious remarks.

Perhaps you should just grow up http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...7&postcount=25