Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-21-11, 08:33 AM   #1
dairy hick
*BANNED*

Default Do you prefer less detail w/o artifacts or more detail w/ artifacts?

I've always unconditionally preferred less detail w/ zero artifacts vs. a lot more detail with any artifacts.

Some people, however, prefer the extra detail that lossy compression can allow for no matter how many artifacts the lossy compression may result in.
dairy hick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-11, 08:41 AM   #2
grey_1

Default Re: Do you prefer less detail w/o artifacts or more detail w/ artifacts?

Not sure I understand what you mean by artifacts. I don't see any artifacting even at max settings on any of my games. Can you post a screenshot or 2?
Old 08-22-11, 06:12 AM   #3
dairy hick
*BANNED*

Default Re: Do you prefer less detail w/o artifacts or more detail w/ artifacts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Not sure I understand what you mean by artifacts. I don't see any artifacting even at max settings on any of my games. Can you post a screenshot or 2?
Thanks Grey for the kind reply: )

I didn't mean artifacts from defects, but rather artifacts that come from compression. For example, a blotchy texture could be due to compression.

Here's a good article that has pics that demonstrate the artifacts that can result from texture compression:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...iques_and_.php

Another example would be Quake 3's sky. Nvidia eventually switched to a better TC alg, but every once in a while you still run into something that looks blotchy like Q3's sky did when the Geforce 2 GTS first came out.
dairy hick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-11, 07:02 AM   #4
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairy hick View Post
Thanks Grey for the kind reply: )

I didn't mean artifacts from defects, but rather artifacts that come from compression. For example, a blotchy texture could be due to compression.

Here's a good article that has pics that demonstrate the artifacts that can result from texture compression:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...iques_and_.php

Another example would be Quake 3's sky. Nvidia eventually switched to a better TC alg, but every once in a while you still run into something that looks blotchy like Q3's sky did when the Geforce 2 GTS first came out.
Ah I completely missed what you were referring to...thanks for posting the article, some good learning in there for me.

I'm the wrong person to answer here as I will always, every time prefer a solid game play experience over visuals. It's not that I don't appreciate a solid overall art direction within a game, I love it....but I never focus on minute details....not sure if that makes sense or not, still early
Old 08-23-11, 01:30 AM   #5
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

"December 28, 2005"

I think were using better compressions then this now.