Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-30-11, 02:58 PM   #1
wheeljack12

Send a message via Skype™ to wheeljack12
Default amd eyefinity and nvidia surround reviewed-xbit labs

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/gra...-surround.html
gigabyte g1.sniper 5 mb, 8gb ddr3-1866 mhz ram in dual channel,intel core i7 4790 3.6 ghz quad core cpu, asus gtx 780 3gb vc,OCZ vector 150 240 gb ssd x 2 in raid 0 (intel raid),antec hcg-850 850 watt 80 plus bronze psu,corsair carbide 500r white case,pioneer bdr-208 15x bluray writer, steelseries 6gv2 keyboard ,acer gv215hv 21.5 inch 1080p lcd monitor, zalman eclipse 8200dpi mouse,xbox 360 wired controller for windows,kingston 8gb usb 2.0 flash drive,windows 8.1 64 bit,creative labs sound blaster zxr pci-e sc,logitech s120 2.0 speakers

I'd rather walk with God in the Dark than shine in the light alone.
wheeljack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 11:31 PM   #2
Roliath

Default Re: amd eyefinity and nvidia surround reviewed-xbit labs

in my setup, and this is my opinion as it worked better for me.
eyefinity > surround
Old 09-10-11, 07:45 PM   #3
Roliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
you had an nvidia surround set up?
3d?
No to the 3d, but yes when I was on tri-sli gtx 285's. Running all 3+1 monitors was a pain in the ass with surround enabled, but with my 6970's I am able to have both a single display (my 3008) and have my eyefinity group (2007fp x3 in portrait) running at the same time. So I can simply change the primary monitor if I wanted to go from single display to eyefinity.

I was unable to do this with my nvidia setup, as in order to drive 4 monitors I was forced to go down to two-gpu sli and leave the third gpu to run the 4th display.
Old 09-10-11, 09:48 PM   #4
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
. I can tell you nvidia had surround way before AMD did I saw it in person many months before eyefinity was released (four monitor setup).
Pentium 3's were out before Pentium 4's so that must mean they are better.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-11, 10:23 PM   #5
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
one generation NORMALLY is faster and has more features than the preceeding generations especially GPUS but then I probably get to see and hear things you do not but i do try to share with you guys within the nda limits
Missed the point. I don't see why it matters if one was released before the other or that if you got to see it before anyone else. That's cool and all, but Roliath said he had a better experience in his setup with eyefinity vs surround. Anyways, as the article stated both have their strengths and weaknesses.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 12:40 AM   #6
Roliath

Quote:
what generation is the 6970 compared to285s? I have three way SLI 580s running three alienware 23" monitors in 3d surround but i have not tried a monitor out of surround (not sure why i would do that, with
3-way sli enabled I have great performance even in3d). I can tell you nvidia had surround way before AMD did I saw it in person many months before eyefinity was released (four monitor setup).
The issue is that you couldn't drive more than 3 monitors when running tri-sli, not sure if that's changed. I have a 4 monitor setup because I like to play some games @1600p and others I want to play in eyefinity. 3d, well that's one bandwagon i'm not about to jump on.
Old 09-11-11, 03:15 AM   #7
Roliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
It's still like that.
nV Surround works great for games. But for other multi-monitoring tasks, it's not flexible enough.
Yeah i've gotten more enjoyment out of my setup since I moved to ATI/AMD mainly because its hassle free when swapping between my 30in and my eyefinity display group. That alone was worth the swap from NV to ATI.