Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-03-11, 11:24 AM   #13
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New AMD upgrade....very pleased

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
Friend got a 965 Black for $130-$140, taxes included. What amazing value. Sorry for thread jack, but can you guys recommend some RAM. He already has 2 slots filled with 4 gigs total, but he said he might need more.
Search end user feedback on forums for his board and ram. A forum member bought my board and bought the same exact ram that ran flawlessly for me and it gave him grief.

Turned out he got a newer, incremental revision than mine, according to Corsair support.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 01:31 PM   #14
kaptkarl
Carolina Panthers Rule!!
 
kaptkarl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 406
Default Re: New AMD upgrade....very pleased

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
sounds terrific. pics?
Sorry for the delay in responding guys. I've been very busy lately. Played Crysis 2 full boat 1900x1200 ...simply amazing. It's good to see my "old" 5870 strench it's legs abit.

Pics to follow....

Kapt
__________________
Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 motherboard
AMD Phenom ll X4 965 BE OC'd @ 3.6GHz
Vendetta cooler 120mm fan
16GB G. Skill Ripsaw DDR3 1600MHz memory
Powercolor 5870 OC'd to 949/1255
(OC'd only when gaming of course)
11.8 Cat drivers
650W power supply
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA HD
Sony dual layer 16X DVD/CD Writer
LG 8X Blu-ray Writer
HP w2408h 24" monitor running @ 1920x1200 native rez
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
kaptkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 01:36 PM   #15
kaptkarl
Carolina Panthers Rule!!
 
kaptkarl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 406
Default Re: New AMD upgrade....very pleased

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaiN View Post
It time for me to upgrade my base system(CPU/mobo/RAM).....
I've only been looking at some possible Intel rigs....guess I'll have to look into an AMD now ..thx
I stuck with AMD for this: Affordability and performance. The BE cpu's are the bomb....they oc very well and run relatively cool. Of course I'm using an after market cooler which helps alot. And with the "latest" AM3+ socket I should be ready for another cpu upgrade next yr....AND some crossfire goodness!! Gotta love AMD systems.

Kapt
__________________
Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 motherboard
AMD Phenom ll X4 965 BE OC'd @ 3.6GHz
Vendetta cooler 120mm fan
16GB G. Skill Ripsaw DDR3 1600MHz memory
Powercolor 5870 OC'd to 949/1255
(OC'd only when gaming of course)
11.8 Cat drivers
650W power supply
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA HD
Sony dual layer 16X DVD/CD Writer
LG 8X Blu-ray Writer
HP w2408h 24" monitor running @ 1920x1200 native rez
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
kaptkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 01:37 PM   #16
kaptkarl
Carolina Panthers Rule!!
 
kaptkarl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 406
Default Re: New AMD upgrade....very pleased

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Search end user feedback on forums for his board and ram. A forum member bought my board and bought the same exact ram that ran flawlessly for me and it gave him grief.

Turned out he got a newer, incremental revision than mine, according to Corsair support.
I paid $119 shipped for my BE 965...hehe
__________________
Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 motherboard
AMD Phenom ll X4 965 BE OC'd @ 3.6GHz
Vendetta cooler 120mm fan
16GB G. Skill Ripsaw DDR3 1600MHz memory
Powercolor 5870 OC'd to 949/1255
(OC'd only when gaming of course)
11.8 Cat drivers
650W power supply
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA HD
Sony dual layer 16X DVD/CD Writer
LG 8X Blu-ray Writer
HP w2408h 24" monitor running @ 1920x1200 native rez
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
kaptkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 03:06 PM   #17
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New AMD upgrade....very pleased

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptkarl View Post
I paid $119 shipped for my BE 965...hehe
Ok now see...you just can't beat a deal like that. If gaming is the rigs primary purpose these things rock, but even though they don't top intel's current offerings they're still a fast chip.

Where did you get that deal btw? That's sweet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 08:10 PM   #18
Fairchild7102
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 13
Default Re: New AMD upgrade....very pleased

I also am very pleased with my recent switch from my E8400 @ 3.6GHz to my Phenom II X4 945 @ 3.7GHz (was $95 with instant rebate).

It has been quite a performance boost over the 2 core chip as expected. Now to wait for bulldozer and hope it doesn't disappoint.
__________________
Intel i5 3570k || Sapphire HD 7870 OC CrossFireX || Asrock Z77 Extreme4 || 8GB DDR3 G.SKILL || Seasonic X750
Intel Core2Duo E8400 || PowerColor HD 5450 || Gigabyte P35-DS3L || 4GB DDR2 G.SKILL || Enermax 431W
Folding@Home...
Fairchild7102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-11, 05:48 AM   #19
Johnny C
Passing you @ 192mph
 
Johnny C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada, EH!
Posts: 779
Default Re: New AMD upgrade....very pleased

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptkarl View Post
I paid $119 shipped for my BE 965...hehe
Now clock that bad boy to at least 3.8ghz 2800nb and 2200 HT....then enjoy....also if you have good air cooling don't be scared of the volts on these....I wouldn't go above 1.5v on air...but anything below that with temps less than 55'C during a prime or an intel burn test(what I use) and you're laughing.

Been running mine for over a year @ 3.9 without a hitch...great chip overall

Edit: Right now the 1090T and DX: Human Revolution cost 160 bucks bundled....should I?
__________________
Phenom II 965BE @ 3.9ghz 200X19.5 1.4625 vcore 2.8ghz NB 2.4ghz HT - Asus M4A79XTD-EVO bios 0604 - 12GB Corsair DDR3 1600 @ 1600mhz CAS 9 w/1T - XFX 6970 2GB 950/1450 - Xigmatek S1283 HSF - Antec 900 - Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Johnny C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-11, 07:20 AM   #20
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New AMD upgrade....very pleased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Now clock that bad boy to at least 3.8ghz 2800nb and 2200 HT....then enjoy....also if you have good air cooling don't be scared of the volts on these....I wouldn't go above 1.5v on air...but anything below that with temps less than 55'C during a prime or an intel burn test(what I use) and you're laughing.

Been running mine for over a year @ 3.9 without a hitch...great chip overall

Edit: Right now the 1090T and DX: Human Revolution cost 160 bucks bundled....should I?
I bet you wouldn't notice much difference at all even after pushing the 1090t to 3.9 to match your current clocks, unless you could use the extra cores. I'd wait for bulldozer.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpu...ack-edition/10

Quote:
One area where lots of cores doesn’t really help is gaming, as so few titles make full use of four cores, let alone six. Thus, despite its larger number of cores (six versus four) and higher clock speed (3.2GHz versus 2.8GHz), as the Nehalem architecture at the heart of the i7-930 has such a higher IPC (Instructions per Clock) than the K10 architecture at the core of the X6 1090T BE, the i7-930 is still the best gaming CPU.

For example, in Crysis the X6 1090T BE could only manage a jerky 23fps minimum frame rate, compared to the silky smooth 30fps of the i7-930. Interestingly, the X4 965 BE produced the same minimum frame rate as the X6 1090T BE, but had a slightly higher average frame rate; 46fps, versus 43fps. The i7-930 also took the lead in X3: Terran Conflict, with a minimum frame rate of 43fps, versus 38fps from the X6 1090T BE and 41fps from the X4 964 BE.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-11, 10:20 AM   #21
kaptkarl
Carolina Panthers Rule!!
 
kaptkarl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 406
Default Re: New AMD upgrade....very pleased

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Ok now see...you just can't beat a deal like that. If gaming is the rigs primary purpose these things rock, but even though they don't top intel's current offerings they're still a fast chip.

Where did you get that deal btw? That's sweet.
Got it at NewEgg.com. It was $129 w/ $10 off instant coupon. Yeah I was going to buy the 980 for $169, but couldn't turn down a quad 3.4GHz cpu for $119 shipped.
__________________
Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 motherboard
AMD Phenom ll X4 965 BE OC'd @ 3.6GHz
Vendetta cooler 120mm fan
16GB G. Skill Ripsaw DDR3 1600MHz memory
Powercolor 5870 OC'd to 949/1255
(OC'd only when gaming of course)
11.8 Cat drivers
650W power supply
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA HD
Sony dual layer 16X DVD/CD Writer
LG 8X Blu-ray Writer
HP w2408h 24" monitor running @ 1920x1200 native rez
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
kaptkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-11, 10:25 AM   #22
kaptkarl
Carolina Panthers Rule!!
 
kaptkarl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 406
Default Re: New AMD upgrade....very pleased

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
I bet you wouldn't notice much difference at all even after pushing the 1090t to 3.9 to match your current clocks, unless you could use the extra cores. I'd wait for bulldozer.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpu...ack-edition/10
I agree. I did some research before I made my purchase and even read that same article. The 6 core cpu's do not bench any better than the 4 cores in gaming. Actuallly because of the higher clocks on the 4 cores they are actually better for gaming in all but a very few cases. I may go 6 or 8 core in the next year or two, but for now a higher clocked 4 core works the best for me.

My 2 cents.....

Kapt
__________________
Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 motherboard
AMD Phenom ll X4 965 BE OC'd @ 3.6GHz
Vendetta cooler 120mm fan
16GB G. Skill Ripsaw DDR3 1600MHz memory
Powercolor 5870 OC'd to 949/1255
(OC'd only when gaming of course)
11.8 Cat drivers
650W power supply
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA HD
Sony dual layer 16X DVD/CD Writer
LG 8X Blu-ray Writer
HP w2408h 24" monitor running @ 1920x1200 native rez
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
kaptkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-11, 05:50 PM   #23
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New AMD upgrade....very pleased

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptkarl View Post
Got it at NewEgg.com. It was $129 w/ $10 off instant coupon. Yeah I was going to buy the 980 for $169, but couldn't turn down a quad 3.4GHz cpu for $119 shipped.
Nice - tough deal to beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptkarl View Post
I agree. I did some research before I made my purchase and even read that same article. The 6 core cpu's do not bench any better than the 4 cores in gaming. Actuallly because of the higher clocks on the 4 cores they are actually better for gaming in all but a very few cases. I may go 6 or 8 core in the next year or two, but for now a higher clocked 4 core works the best for me.

My 2 cents.....

Kapt
I was going to go with a hex a core when I had my 955BE. We probably read a lot of the same articles

I'm making the E8400 I'm using now squeal, but it has to last a while longer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-11, 05:59 PM   #24
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: New AMD upgrade....very pleased

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Nice - tough deal to beat


I was going to go with a hex a core when I had my 955BE. We probably read a lot of the same articles

I'm making the E8400 I'm using now squeal, but it has to last a while longer.
I see a nice upgrade for that rig on the horizon.








Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.