Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-16-11, 07:48 PM   #1
Ninja Prime

Default Sony asks for soul in new TOS

Well, almost:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=22765

Yeah, sounds like a plan, sign away any right to sue or join lawsuits against a company known for the largest loss of customer data ever...
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 08:46 PM   #2
shabby
Forcefed GXP

Default Re: Sony asks for soul in new TOS

They really want to get hacked again don't they?
Old 09-16-11, 10:14 PM   #3
Albo

I don't really understand what this means..

I got an email a few weeks ago, saying like classmates.com had a class action lawsuit against them.. and for some reason I have $15 to my name or something. So that's good. I'm guessing something similar is going on here.

If you don't install the update, what happens?
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 11:51 PM   #4
LurkerLito

Quote:
I don't really understand what this means..
Basically they are covering themselves from class action lawsuits. They are basically saying, you agree that if you have a problem with them you cannot sue them via a class action. So if you and a 1000 other people had an issue like your data got hacked, you cannot all join up as a single class and sue Sony together. You give up any right to a trial by Jury and will agree to settle the matter with an arbiter individually. The arbiter will basically hear your side and Sony's side and say this is his decision. You then have no choice but to accept the decision that the arbiter made.

Quote:
If you don't install the update, what happens?
You lose access to PSN if you don't install it. No more downloads even for games you bought or pre-ordered on PSN using the play promo. No more PSN+ or it's features if you're a subscriber. And you lose the ability to play any always connected DRM checking game like Final Fight.

BTW, you can opt out to that section that says you are bound to binding arbitration but you have to do it in writing via the post office within 30 days of accepting the agreement. And it is pretty much a standard part of their ToS and EULA from now on, so you most likely have to mail an opt out letter every time there is a firmware update because each time you press an I agree you get 30 days to mail a opt out letter. Funny thing is this is a brilliant move, everyone is basically going to just press I agree, so even if some people do send in the letter opting out, Sony gets them either with the next update or even if they do opt out again, there won't be enough people who sent in the letters to even make a class action case possible (assuming of course that the current EULA is legally binding).

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 11:31 AM   #5
Lyme

In the USA previous court cases have shown that the EULA is legally binding, and that clauses as such will stand up in court.
However in Canada, that clause is void due to the law that says you cannot willingly or unwillingly give up the rights that have been given to you under Canadian law, and EULAs are on questionable ground.

ps: the class action lawsuit is because classmates.com sold your personal data.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 11:55 AM   #6
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

I can't really blame them... with our joke of a law system allowing class action suits for simply getting ones ego bruised, trying to avoid them alltogether would be pretty high on my list.

Keep in mind that Sony is providing an entertainment service. Totally optional. There is nothing you need to class action unless say, your information gets sold under terms where you agreed they wouldn't be sold. To many people turning their nose up in disgust as if it was a right.
Old 09-17-11, 02:30 PM   #7
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post
I can't really blame them... with our joke of a law system allowing class action suits for simply getting ones ego bruised, trying to avoid them alltogether would be pretty high on my list.

Keep in mind that Sony is providing an entertainment service. Totally optional. There is nothing you need to class action unless say, your information gets sold under terms where you agreed they wouldn't be sold. To many people turning their nose up in disgust as if it was a right.
Or they don't provide adequate security and leak your financial information like a seive, then don't want to do anything about it.

What is worse is that you need to agree to the TOS in order to get game/blu-ray updates, as such it is "totally optional" in the same sense that buying a ps3 is "totally optional".
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 07:15 PM   #8
Ninja Prime

Yeah totally optional, right? So if I want to keep using a PS3 that I already own, its totally optional, right? No. Once again, just like the linux thing before and BC before that, Sony sells you something with features and then later takes them away, unless of course you agree to give away all your rights. Scum. I swear they are one of the worst companies in the world to their consumers.

Time to bring this nugget back out: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse....=sony_bull****
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-11, 01:13 AM   #9
SOKOL

I did not know that SONY (still) uses ATARI computers.
SOKOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 05:04 PM   #10
ViN86

Apparently you can opt out of the class action lawsuit clause but you have to send them a letter with your info. Naturally, they make you jump through hoops to opt out.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 05:23 PM   #11
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Apparently you can opt out of the class action lawsuit clause but you have to send them a letter with your info. Naturally, they make you jump through hoops to opt out.
And I'm fairly sure you'll have to send them a letter every time the firmware updates.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 05:24 PM   #12
jcrox
Mahna Mahna

In other words...

"Internet security is an expensive thing. Rather than spend money on said security and cut into our share holder's dividends, the next time we have a security breech our customers can suck a ****. It's not our problem that we couldn't secure your information, it's yours. Besides, most of you are teenagers using your parent's credit cards... do you really care?"

Gaming

MSI MPower Z87 | 4770k | CNPS9900MAX-B | 8GB G.Skill 1866 | EVGA GTX760 |ThermalTake 850w | X-Fi Titanium | HAF | Asus PA248Q | Lycosa | Death Adder | Win8 Pro 64

Dev/Backup

MSI GD65 | 2500k | H50 | 8GB G.skill | GTX570 | Ubuntu 13.10

Laptop

17" Inspiron | i5 | 4GB DDR3 | 500GB HDD | Win7 Pro 64

jcrox is offline   Reply With Quote