Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Rumor Mill

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-11, 03:57 PM   #145
Mojoe

Default Re: ATi 7000 series delayed till Q1 2012

No i dont, but if you have a link i could send you the Pdf.
Old 12-21-11, 04:38 PM   #146
Vardant

You mean this pdf? http://www.techsweden.org/nyhet/50is...nsions-guiden/
Old 12-21-11, 04:42 PM   #147
Redeemed

I know everything is just rumors right now but so far I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up a 7870. Not launch- did that with the G80 8800GTS (got two of 'em for about $1100). Two weeks later prices were dropping and inventory strong. Think I'll wait a bit after launch, read reviews and allow the cards and drivers to mature a bit. But so far the 7870 seems the GPU for me- especially if they offer a 2GB version. 6970 with decreased power draw and heat output = win for me.

Curious- any rumors for APUs with 7000s series GPUs? If so, how far out?
Old 12-21-11, 05:38 PM   #148
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I know everything is just rumors right now but so far I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up a 7870. Not launch- did that with the G80 8800GTS (got two of 'em for about $1100). Two weeks later prices were dropping and inventory strong. Think I'll wait a bit after launch, read reviews and allow the cards and drivers to mature a bit. But so far the 7870 seems the GPU for me- especially if they offer a 2GB version. 6970 with decreased power draw and heat output = win for me.

Curious- any rumors for APUs with 7000s series GPUs? If so, how far out?
Logic... Isn't your strong point is it...

How long do you think it will take you to make up the money spent on a new gpu in power savings?

Lets say that the 7870 costs $300, and uses 150 watts under 100% load.

The price of your current 5870 doesn't matter, but lets say it draws 250 watts under 100% load. That's 100 watts more than your 7870.

Now, if you were to have the GPU under 100% load, 24 hours a day, with a cost per kwh of an insanely high $0.20/kwh, it would cost you $1.2 a day, or $36 a month to run your 5870. Compare that to the 7870 at 150 watts, 100% load, it would cost you $0.72 a day, or $21.6 a month. That is an amazing savings of $14.4 a month. To break even on the 7870 cost, it would take you 20.8 months.

That is just the worst case scenario. If you drop the cost of the kwh to a much more reasonable $0.10/kwh, you are looking at 41.6 months to break even. As you can imagine, since you don't run your GPU 24/7 that it will take you much longer than 41 months to break even.
Old 12-21-11, 05:56 PM   #149
Viral
Registered User of Women

Also, a 5870 doesn't use anywhere near 250w. Still, a cooler less power hungry card is good - but only if you're getting better performance and new features as well.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Old 12-21-11, 06:01 PM   #150
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
Also, a 5870 doesn't use anywhere near 250w. Still, a cooler less power hungry card is good - but only if you're getting better performance and new features as well.
It uses about 200 watts. But that proves my point even more.

http://i.imgur.com/SErjF.png
Old 12-21-11, 06:05 PM   #151
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post

How long do you think it will take you to make up the money spent on a new gpu in power savings?

The price of your current 5870 doesn't matter, but lets say it draws 250 watts under 100% load. That's 100 watts more than your 7870.

Now, if you were to have the GPU under 100% load, 24 hours a day, with a cost per kwh of an insanely high $0.20/kwh, it would cost you $1.2 a day, or $36 a month to run your 5870. Compare that to the 7870 at 150 watts, 100% load, it would cost you $0.72 a day, or $21.6 a month. That is an amazing savings of $14.4 a month. To break even on the 7870 cost, it would take you 20.8 months.

That is just the worst case scenario. If you drop the cost of the kwh to a much more reasonable $0.10/kwh, you are looking at 41.6 months to break even. As you can imagine, since you don't run your GPU 24/7 that it will take you much longer than 41 months to break even.
This is all purely off of rumors. I'm not expecting to make up the money spent in power savings. All of these unknowns are a major reason why I'm not buying at launch as I've already stated- I'm going to "let the dust settle" so to speak and se where things lay. As it stands, however, the 7870 is the GPU for me. If I'm consuming less power than this 5870 while not sacrificing any performance that's a win for me. Furthermore, idle power draw for the 7800s is rumored to be around 3 watts from the slides I've seen. Kinda' unbelievable in my opinion but that's less than this 5870. Peak power consumption we don't have any numbers on for the 7870.

Originally I was thinking of getting the 7770 but there's no talk of such a GPU. It seems as though the 7870 is the "7770".

Anyhow, another possibility is after launch I'm just not wowed by the cards. In which case I'll just keep my 5870. As an experiment I dropped the GPU and Memory speeds as low as CCC would allow me. Only game I've played is DX:HR so far but this 5870 still plays that exceptionally well all items in-game maxed. I'm not forcing anything via CCC other than clock speeds. Soon as I finish this run-through of DX:HR I'm going to test Crysis like this... all of this mostly done for curiousity. But if I am able to play all the games I enjoy with an underclocked 5870... why get rid of it? It just shows I'm not hitting any kind of bottleneck. Yet.

Anyhow, if logic isn't my strong point assumptions must be yours. I've not made up my mind on anything evident by the fact I'm waiting till after launch. My main concern never was a performance increase but instead a reduction of power consumption and heat output. If the 7 series doesn't deliver what I'm hoping for I'll not buy anything and just hold onto this 5870. More money to put on other items... like replacing my 6 year old PSU or maybe a significantly larger SSD or two... lots of other things that money could be put towards.
Old 12-21-11, 06:11 PM   #152
Rollo

Quote:

Hey! We agree on something Roadie. I'm always bewildered when someone mentions electricity savings as a factor as well.

I offered to sell a coworker a 50" 720P plasma the other day for $250, and he replies "Don't those use a lot of electricity?!" and doesn't buy it. Meanwhile he watches his old style tube tv with a much smaller picture and probably close to the same juice used.

Electricity is way too cheap here to be a factor on anything unless you're literally watching every nickel- in which case you should be gaming on a Nintendo DS, not a computer.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]

Old 12-21-11, 06:16 PM   #153
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
This is all purely off of rumors. I'm not expecting to make up the money spent in power savings. All of these unknowns are a major reason why I'm not buying at launch as I've already stated- I'm going to "let the dust settle" so to speak and se where things lay. As it stands, however, the 7870 is the GPU for me. If I'm consuming less power than this 5870 while not sacrificing any performance that's a win for me. Furthermore, idle power draw for the 7800s is rumored to be around 3 watts from the slides I've seen. Kinda' unbelievable in my opinion but that's less than this 5870. Peak power consumption we don't have any numbers on for the 7870.
So, you don't care about money spent in power savings, but you care about buying a gpu that has the same performance as your 5870, but uses less power... uh...

Have you followed the prices of any past ATI launches? The 5870 launched at MSRP, then went up $50 and stayed there for a long time, almost till the 6970 launch. The same thing happened with the 6970. They just recently started to come down in price.

Quote:
Anyhow, another possibility is after launch I'm just not wowed by the cards. In which case I'll just keep my 5870. As an experiment I dropped the GPU and Memory speeds as low as CCC would allow me. Only game I've played is DX:HR so far but this 5870 still plays that exceptionally well all items in-game maxed. I'm not forcing anything via CCC other than clock speeds. Soon as I finish this run-through of DX:HR I'm going to test Crysis like this... all of this mostly done for curiousity. But if I am able to play all the games I enjoy with an underclocked 5870... why get rid of it? It just shows I'm not hitting any kind of bottleneck. Yet.
That's like buying a Ferrari, and only using the first two gears.

Quote:
Anyhow, if logic isn't my strong point assumptions must be yours. I've not made up my mind on anything evident by the fact I'm waiting till after launch. My main concern never was a performance increase but instead a reduction of power consumption and heat output. If the 7 series doesn't deliver what I'm hoping for I'll not buy anything and just hold onto this 5870. More money to put on other items... like replacing my 6 year old PSU or maybe a significantly larger SSD or two... lots of other things that money could be put towards.

So, you don't care about power cost again, but you care about power use.
Old 12-21-11, 06:20 PM   #154
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Hey! We agree on something Roadie. I'm always bewildered when someone mentions electricity savings as a factor as well.

I offered to sell a coworker a 50" 720P plasma the other day for $250, and he replies "Don;t those uise a lot of electricity?!" and doesn't buy it. Meanwhile he watches his old style tube tv with a much smaller picture and probably close to the same juice used.

Electricity is way too cheap here to be a factor on anything unless you're literally watching every nickel- in which case you should be gaming on a Nintendo DS, not a computer.
If I owned where I lived electricity consumption would not concern me.

However I do not. I'm renting from my best friend. And I don't care enough about this to argue over it with him. If he wants me to have a small electric foot print even when it seems illogical then I'll do so. It really doesn't matter.

Not only that I've yet to find a game in my library that this 5870 can't play at 1920 x 1200. Only play DX:HR right now but even while underclocked as far as CCC will allow this 5870 demolishes DX:HR all maxed in-game settings. Well, my opinion of "demolishes" that is. Haven't had fraps running while playing but I've yet to see any slow downs that have interfered with gameplay.

If the 7 series doesn't offer what I'm hoping for, I'll just not upgrade.

It's amazing how quickly "know-it-alls" such as your self jump to conclusions. Why is my decisions of any concern to you? I see your post as nothing more than bait to attempt to build up nVidia some how- you always seem to have an agenda to that end.
Old 12-21-11, 06:22 PM   #155
Redeemed

Quote:
So, you don't care about money spent in power savings, but you care about buying a gpu that has the same performance as your 5870, but uses less power... uh...

Have you followed the prices of any past ATI launches? The 5870 launched at MSRP, then went up $50 and stayed there for a long time, almost till the 6970 launch. The same thing happened with the 6970. They just recently started to come down in price.

That's like buying a Ferrari, and only using the first two gears.

So, you don't care about power cost again, but you care about power use.
Quote:
If I owned where I lived electricity consumption would not concern me.

However I do not. I'm renting from my best friend. And I don't care enough about this to argue over it with him. If he wants me to have a small electric foot print even when it seems illogical then I'll do so. It really doesn't matter.

Not only that I've yet to find a game in my library that this 5870 can't play at 1920 x 1200. Only play DX:HR right now but even while underclocked as far as CCC will allow this 5870 demolishes DX:HR all maxed in-game settings. Well, my opinion of "demolishes" that is. Haven't had fraps running while playing but I've yet to see any slow downs that have interfered with gameplay.

If the 7 series doesn't offer what I'm hoping for, I'll just not upgrade.

It's amazing how quickly "know-it-alls" such as your self jump to conclusions. Why is my decisions of any concern to you? I see your post as nothing more than bait to attempt to build up nVidia some how- you always seem to have an agenda to that end.
Old 12-21-11, 06:23 PM   #156
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
It's amazing how quickly "know-it-alls" such as your self jump to conclusions. Why is my decisions of any concern to you?
You did post your power draw concern in a public forum where anyone can read and reply to what you said.
Closed Thread